• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What ability would this be?

Antoniofer said:
I want to believe is a power other than Law/Causality Manipulation, but I can't relate it to another power less broad. What other character do this? To have a reference.
Any playable character can use this item, it's not restricted to anyone in particular.

Do not have to be from the same serie, it to known under what power the other character is categorized.

I think this ability could be Limited Willpower Manipulation. I don't really see Law Manipulation being the case here as its too high of a level for this item to be at, Casuality Manip doesn't necessarily link to the item that well, and Power Nullifcation just cannot be the case otherwise the enemies wouldn't bother attacking back at all when they are attacked.

If the description is something like "the opponent is unable to attack unless you attack first" its law/causality as a requeriment needs to happens before an effect take place; if it say something like "it makes the opponent feels submissive/timid to take the first action" then it would be Empathic/Willpower Manipulation.

Unfortunalely, the most vague the power, the most general power it cover.

@Antoniofer

Well, the "The opponent is unable to attack unless you attack first" description is pretty vague. We can't assume the Law/Causality Manipulation ability in the first place unless its clearly stated.

There is no real reason for that. It forces the target to be unable to attack first unless a specific condition is met.

That isn't willpower Manipulation, but it could easily be some form of law manip.

The former seems to make an unbiased assumption just to keep the power weaker.

Can't also assume willpower as it wasn't mentioned, that type of rpg tends to be pretty vague; law (as law its a subpower of causality) its "more fitting", not exact but accurate, since its "in order to happens W, X needs to takes place", that is the typical law manipulation.

Yes, it may sound nlf-ish, that's way I wanted to believe there was a more specific power, but law m. is the more general ability that cover the application.

I think you would need to justify that assumption, because manipulating the enemy's mind isn't something that is assumed unless there is a reason to think that.

Like, it just makes the target unable to attack first, as simple as that. It's nowhere near as powerful as universe spanning laws, but it's the only ability that falls under without making baseless assumptions.

I mean, I can say that the power is Love Manipulation as it "makes the opponent falls in love with the user, making it unable to take the first action" and it would be as justified as Willpower Manipulation.

Assuming a Law/Causality Manipulation, such kind would be too overpowered for White Orb. It is likely that monsters just aren't willing to attack the player due to the White Orb's effect, while being "happy" to do so after being attacked. This effect doesn't seem to apply to all beings.

That's an argument out of incredibility if I ever saw one. As said above, you are making a baseless assumption for no real reason.

Again, law Manipulation doesn't have to be this universal hax, but unless there is something contradicting it, this is putting a set of rules on an enemy that they can't break.

With a description as vague as that it would make it law manipulation, since we do not known the reason why they can't attack first we can't assume other power.

Other npc being immune could be due being immune to the nature of the power (like magic or similar), being games mechanic or, in the most nlf-ish way, have law immunity.

Watching again the video, I can say that the enemy will attack you if you get any closer to them.

If we were going by the Law/Causality Manipulation, then the enemy would only attack when he'll be damaged. But in this case it will attack you even if you won't damage it, but while still being close to it. How can we explain it? Willpower Manipulation. Imagine if you're staying somewhere nor far, but not close to the enemy. Without White Orb's effect, the enemy will definitely notice something wrong on its vision, and will investigate and likely attack the intruder. With the White Orb's effect, the enemy may notice something wrong, but will ignore as it'll think that it's not important. But if you will get any closer to it, and the potential danger is likely inevitable, to the such level where the enemy can't ignore it at all.

Initializing the battle likely means that you got even closer to the enemy.

It would be more simply if we can directly read the description of the item, I doubt an rpg wouldn't write it. Although, can't attack unless the user its close to you could still qualify as Law Manipulation, but with a different requeriment.

Skalt711 said:
Watching again the video, I can say that the enemy will attack you if you get any closer to them.
? Where did you see that?

The battle starts only after you attack them with the item active, they won't attack you if you don't do anything. Without it, simply touching them would start the battle, and they'd run towards you

Here's the item's description (second image), the first image is the in-game explanation of flag items, with the White Orb being one of them

Ahem. "Initializing the battle likely means that you got even closer to the enemy". That's how I explain the game mechanics.

I see

Issue is that that's how normally things go without the item.

Also, if you manage to attack the enemy without it noticing you do a surprise attack. With the white orb, the enemy ignores you, and you always do surprise attacks when starting battles

So, you said that with the White Orb's effect the enemy ignores you. However, as I said, the battle initialization is likely caused by you walking towards the enemy at a dangerous range, where they will definitely sense and notice you. My point isn't changed at all. My apologies.

Willpower manipulation does seem like the best option. I wouldn't go for Law Manipulation or Causality Manipulation without further context

Reading the last comments sounds more like it simply avoid detection from enemies (would explain why the first attack is considered a surprise attack), effect vanished once the first attack is made as the target is already aware of the user presence.

@Skalt

Again, enemies noticing and attacking you when you get in range (if you look at the map in the video, it's the red cone) is what happens normally if you don't have the white orb.

With it, instead, they'll just keep walking around even if you get in range, and to trigger the battle you need to hit them first outside of the battle (which also constitutes a surprise attack, further proving the enemy didn't notice you)

@Antoniofer

So that would be perception manipulation, right?

"you need to hit them first outside of the battle"

Now that explains a lot to me. Thanks.

So that would be perception manipulation right?

Perception Manipulation seems to be the most likely candidate.

Back