• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

"via powerscaling" reasoning in profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArbitraryNumbers

VS Battles
Retired
Scaling entire verses to one feat is fine, but when the reasoning for the characters and their rankings is "via powerscaling" without any real explanations or links to the scaled feats, it really irks me. In fact, it's recently become a pet-peeve of mine.

I get that it's tiresome to put the same reasoning over and over in all of the profiles, but copying and pasting exists for a reason, and simply putting "via powerscaling" does not tell me anything. Which feats does it scale to, exactly? I don't want to go out of my way, clicking through profiles to try and find the original feats. It makes VS debating tedious, as the process for finding precisely how two characters compare in stats takes much longer than it should.

I propose making a rule against this. The process of finding the original feats that a character scales to should not be so tedious and time-wasting.

Would you mind giving an example of this? I'm not doubting you, I'm just wanting clarification.

Only ever really seen this done with DBZ but yeah, should at least link to the feat they're scaled to or the person who performed said feat.

The Everlasting said:
Would you mind giving an example of this? I'm not doubting you, I'm just wanting clarification.
There used to be a lot of Pokemon profiles like that, but I think I revised all the ones that I came across at the time. I remember it being a pain to edit and correct the reasoning from "via powerscaling" to "(Comparabe to Pidgeotto and Magneton)" multiple times.

I agree as well.

It's something present in a lot of Fate pages.

The Everlasting said:
Old Kingdom Hearts profiles were very bad with this. Everyone was "via power-scaling" to someone else and it would go in circles, which made the actual feat they were scaled to a pain. As AN mentioned, Pokemon is probably the worst with this. Digimon isn't much better since a lot of Digimon are "power-scaling off of other X level Digimon".

I'm for a rule, personally.

Saint Seiya profiles were also pretty bad with it. Although I still think they're bad in general and plan a revision.

If we are like for an obscure verse and character C has X rating (Via scaling), it will be confusing and annoying. If we say, (Scales with character B who did X feat which is rated as this), it would be better

Mortal Kombat is horrible, too. Last time I checked, it was just a huge confusing web of powerscaling, with each character scaling to several other characters. I had to ask in a thread to find out where the original High 7-C feat was.

The Grand Priest is an example, his speed state says via powerscaling... But why not just say "Is much faster than Whis", Whis basically admitted he was better than him.

This x100!

Some verses (like Mortal Kombat) are also full of "via powerscaling to/defeated/fought" and then a long list of characters but those characters' profiles are also scaled to another long list of characters. This means it takes ages to find the character where the stat originated from.

For some more clarification, I'm mostly peeved about profiles that only say "via powerscaling", without even linking the characters or anything else, like:

Attack Potency: City level (via powerscaling)

@Matthew Schroeder

Very true. Are there any other feats in the Mortal Kombat verse that can be used to scale to non god tier characters?

MJF6219 said:
@Matthew Schroeder

Very true. Are there any other feats in the Mortal Kombat verse that can be used to scale to non god tier characters?
shujinko has a Low 7-C feat, though I'm not sure if he counts as a god tier or not.

I wonder if it would be useful to have a sort of scaling diagram or flowchart for verses with lots of characters. Starting with the character where a stat originated from like an AP or speed feat and the connecting them to whoever they scale to and so on. This might be a lot of work but for some of the larger verses out there or some of the more complicated instanses of scaling it would make things a lot easier. Not to mention it'd look cool as hell.

Obviously it goes without saying that they should still have who they scale to and/or their feats mentioned on their profiles.

I agree. A better example of reasoning for AP would be something like:

Attack Potency: City level via power-scaling (Stated to be an exact equal in strength to Character B, who can level cities in a single strike)

@Darkanine

Well, if he isn't god tier than that seems a lot more reasonable to scale non god tier characters to rather than Raiden's feat.

Sadly, in The Guyver, every single character is scaled with that single High 6-A feat, except for Arkanfel.

Should I add "Via powerscaling" to profiles that have a feat scaling to another character (with the reasoning already next to it in parentheses) just to make it look a bit better?

Also, if you guys don't mind me saying this but my pet-peeve besides that is the way some of these profiles also using the "AP = Durability" logic sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back