• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Very Minor Addition To The Enhanced Senses Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

UchihaSlayer96

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Hello everyone! Hope you're all having a wonderful New Year.

This thread primarily revolves around this part of the Enhanced Senses page:
Extra Senses: Some characters have completely new senses not possessed by humans, an example of this in real life is the ability of some animal species to sense magnetic fields. Other extra senses can include the ability to sense things in different dimensions, distortions in time and space, the thoughts of other beings, the future, the past, quantum activity, magical energies, forms of life energy like ki, computer data, etc.
My issue with this is that I always felt that it's far too easy to confuse this with Extrasensory Perception. I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who has had this issue, and it has occasionally caused some confusion during ability addition CRTs/discussions. People just can't tell the difference between the two sometimes, at least not solely based on this excerpt from the Enhances Senses page.

I now understand, thanks to @Damage3245, that the primary difference is that Enhanced Senses must involve one of the standard five senses, or another sensory organ of any kind (such as the Shark's sensory organs called the ampullae of Lorenzini, which are special sensing organs called electroreceptors). ESP would be any form of sensing not involving any of the physical senses.

An example would be a character seeing Chi (Enhanced Senses) vs a character sensing Chi (ESP).
Another example would be Sasuke seeing Chakra or the invisible Limbo clones with his Sharingan/Rinnegan vs Naruto sensing them.

Now, I understand that this may all seem extremely obvious to many of you, but unfortunately it was not for myself and many others. So my proposal is simple.
All we need to do is just add a very small explanation to the Enhanced Senses page in order to highlight the difference more prominently.

Here's an example for the potential wording:
Extra Senses: Some characters have completely new senses not possessed by humans, an example of this in real life is the ability of some animal species to sense magnetic fields. Other extra senses can include the ability to sense things in different dimensions, distortions in time and space, the thoughts of other beings, the future, the past, quantum activity, magical energies, forms of life energy like ki, computer data, etc.
Not to be confused with Extrasensory Perception, this ability must involve the use of one of the standard five senses, or any other sensory organs, in order to qualify.
Of course, any suggestions to improve the wording are welcome.

And that's pretty much it. Let's discuss.

To me this also seems very uncontroversial to add to the page. I am not sure if we even need considerably more staff input for something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back