• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Verses that are overhated and why?

Teen titans go deserves all the hate it gets
Somewhat. It's still bitter after 8 years of running on CN, despite the fact that mostly everyone has moved on from the show.

I liked Season 1 because it didn't poke fun at all the critics and fans of the OG. It just wanted to be it's own thing. But ever since they started making episodes poking fun at the critics and fans was when the show went downhill for me and I stopped caring about it.

It also takes up 90% of the schedule on CN. It basically replaced Johnny Test in terms of how much it airs, but Johnny Test didn't air nearly as much as TTG is now. It also doesn't help the fact that TTG is still bitter after all these years. At least Johnny Test didn't go out of its way to poke fun at the critics.

But yeah, I do feel like TTG deserves a portion of the hate it gets. Not all, but some.

I agree that the first few seasons are way better than its current showings. Teen Titans Go started as a funny and self-aware parody of itself, transforming the Teen Titans setting into that of a sitcom, like The Looney Tunes Show. But now, the series has just devolved into loud and bombastic slapstick humor.

SAO, High School DXD, Fairy tail (tho people overhype it aswell so the hate is deserved 🤷‍♂️), all Isekai and all Harems
orangutan-tea.gif

Last edited:
Similarly to the thread on overrated verses, I rarely comment on thing like this because it all depends on the time and place where you talk about any given verse. The usual cycle is, in fact, for a verse to get popular, get hated, and after some time of growing hatred, it starts to simmer and diminish until people say "y'know, it wasn't that bad", and from there, it can stay on the semi-forgotten but much better "it wasn't that bad" to potentially elevate to status of cult classic that wasn't appreciated. It happened before (The Lord of the Rings, by Tolkien, was originally dismissed as childish, and the mere idea of elevating it to a status of serious literature was laughable), happens now (SAO is going through the last phases) and will happen again. (I've started to see the first phases of this happening to Demon Slayer)

It's a bit easier to talk about overhated verses than overrated because it is significantly easier to spot hatred that is a bit more objectively unjustified than bias that is a bit more objectively unjustified. However, I'd also keep in mind that "a bit more objectively" is still mostly subjective.

With that in mind and keeping to my opinion, I'll comment some things that I find overhated, but some with reason, and I'll keep it to fictional verses that are relevant here.
  • Sword Art Online: As I stated in the overrated thread, I find SAO a bit too bland to be strongly liked or disliked. It is above average from the piles of other manga, but wholly unremarkable to be too hated or liked.
  • Dragon Ball: Way too many people I've seen like to kick Dragon Ball and refer to it as stupid and plotless. Thankfully it's usually only people who try to have a veneer of culture and elegancy.
  • Twilight: This is a case that I find justifiable on rather objective measures, although I recognize that they may be irrelevant to someone who likes Twilight. Twilight is one of the most popular works ever that are also badly written. It isn't extremely badly written, there's plenty of stuff and verses that are much worse (Thankfully not many of them relevant to VS-things), but still more than enough for me to strongly dislike it. It's the rare case of something I disliked as a child, and when I checked it again thinking it was just childish immaturity, I disliked it even more than I had before. Still, just because I find it objectively bad, I don't think it is reason to justify mocking endlessly people who like it.
  • WWE: Many people find it ridiculous or hate it because it's fake, at least here in Brazil most people mock it. I find wrestling as incredibly funny and surprisingly emotive, even if of the cheap variety. It ought to be more recognized for how entertaining it is.

Similarly to the thread on overrated verses, I rarely comment on thing like this because it all depends on the time and place where you talk about any given verse. The usual cycle is, in fact, for a verse to get popular, get hated, and after some time of growing hatred, it starts to simmer and diminish until people say "y'know, it wasn't that bad", and from there, it can stay on the semi-forgotten but much better "it wasn't that bad" to potentially elevate to status of cult classic that wasn't appreciated. It happened before (The Lord of the Rings, by Tolkien, was originally dismissed as childish, and the mere idea of elevating it to a status of serious literature was laughable), happens now (SAO is going through the last phases) and will happen again. (I've started to see the first phases of this happening to Demon Slayer)

It's a bit easier to talk about overhated verses than overrated because it is significantly easier to spot hatred that is a bit more objectively unjustified than bias that is a bit more objectively unjustified. However, I'd also keep in mind that "a bit more objectively" is still mostly subjective.

With that in mind and keeping to my opinion, I'll comment some things that I find overhated, but some with reason, and I'll keep it to fictional verses that are relevant here.
  • Sword Art Online: As I stated in the overrated thread, I find SAO a bit too bland to be strongly liked or disliked. It is above average from the piles of other manga, but wholly unremarkable to be too hated or liked.
  • Dragon Ball: Way too many people I've seen like to kick Dragon Ball and refer to it as stupid and plotless. Thankfully it's usually only people who try to have a veneer of culture and elegancy.
  • Twilight: This is a case that I find justifiable on rather objective measures, although I recognize that they may be irrelevant to someone who likes Twilight. Twilight is one of the most popular works ever that are also badly written. It isn't extremely badly written, there's plenty of stuff and verses that are much worse (Thankfully not many of them relevant to VS-things), but still more than enough for me to strongly dislike it. It's the rare case of something I disliked as a child, and when I checked it again thinking it was just childish immaturity, I disliked it even more than I had before. Still, just because I find it objectively bad, I don't think it is reason to justify mocking endlessly people who like it.
  • WWE: Many people find it ridiculous or hate it because it's fake, at least here in Brazil most people mock it. I find wrestling as incredibly funny and surprisingly emotive, even if of the cheap variety. It ought to be more recognized for how entertaining it is.
I like this one because of the fact that you don't take shows or animation too seriously. Like, if you love watching shows, then I'm okay with you being critical of aspects from shows you don't like. However, a lot of people these days take things too seriously, and blow things out of proportion. You just seem to enjoy a show for what it is instead of for what it isn't, and I respect you for that.

Black Clover, dunno if people you all have met people who don't like it but the people I met, they either like it somewhat or what it to burn in a fire.

Oh yeah, also MHA that stuff gets too much hate because of the community. Seven Deadly Sins has a better manga personally to me since SDS Season 3 exists, but the amount of hate it gets is just way too much, the plot is alright but the hate is way too high.

I will tell Nasuverse, and in example many people in this site don't like the verse because they don't like the debater of fate, don't like the community or just have only 'it's all wanking" in their mouth (but they don't even have read the series)

You can't judge a show based on its community? That's unfair and nobody decided that the MHA community was going to be full of strange people.
No the show is good but the fandom is not... Which is valid why people dislike it.... If people didn't dislike it then it means you are approving their actions... But 🤷‍♂️
Hence why I said they either like it or dislike it, just like the hate for most newgen anime.
True... But people also overhype Newgen to the point of saying it's better then naruto, bleach and one piece and stuff but 🤷‍♂️

I will tell Nasuverse, and in example many people in this site don't like the verse because they don't like the debater of fate, don't like the community or just have only 'it's all wanking" in their mouth (but they don't even have read the series)
I was interested in fate.... Now I'm not because of them

eh, it is probably because they don't interpret the statements in the same way as vsbw does and I do hate how they treat my favorite characters (Looking at shirou emiya) . But yeah, nasuverse is rather one of the most popular out there.

Last edited:
Probably Umineko. Most people, because of the fact that the verse is op af, think that the storyline is shit, which makes literally no sense cause it's actually quite brilliantly written.

Probably Umineko. Most people, because of the fact that the verse is op af, think that the storyline is shit, which makes literally no sense cause it's actually quite brilliantly written.
Most high-tier verses are well written as long as you aren't looking at FC/OC wiki.

Steven Universe. The show is about finding the good in literally everyone, of course it had that kinda ending. I dont think the last few seasons were as solid as the first few, but people take it too far.

DC after Flashpoint. It's not as good, and the 70~ year history and continuity being stripped is saddening, but it's not the writers faullt. It's rough, confused, and awkwardly tries to update old ideas into the modern world, but it has its moments and some of the revisions and additions actually work quite well.

Pokemon after whatevertheheckgenerationppeoplethinkisbad. The games are for kids, have always been for kids, and will forever be for kids, and thus have and will be designed to make them engaging for younger audiences. If they do that job, then they're a success.

The Nutshack. Unironically some of the only decent rep of transgender people in western animation. I hate that it Family Guy and The Ooblongs are the only ones I can think of. That alone makes it kinda special to me.

Steven Universe. The show is about finding the good in literally everyone, of course it had that kinda ending. I dont think the last few seasons were as solid as the first few, but people take it too far.

DC after Flashpoint. It's not as good, and the 70~ year history and continuity being stripped is saddening, but it's not the writers faullt. It's rough, confused, and awkwardly tries to update old ideas into the modern world, but it has its moments and some of the revisions and additions actually work quite well.

Pokemon after whatevertheheckgenerationppeoplethinkisbad. The games are for kids, have always been for kids, and will forever be for kids, and thus have and will be designed to make them engaging for younger audiences. If they do that job, then they're a success.

The Nutshack. Unironically some of the only decent rep of transgender people in western animation. I hate that it Family Guy and The Ooblongs are the only ones I can think of. That alone makes it kinda special to me.
I thought SU was a fine/solid show. Yes, the last couple.of seasons were a bit disappointing, and I wasn't a fan of SU Future, but the hate for it is overblown.

Can't say much on DC.

There's been mixed opinions in the Pokemon community on when the show went downhill. But I've seen most Poke fans say that the show went downhill after Misty left. Imo, I lost interest after Dawn left, but eh, that's my opinion.

I've heard many bad things about the show. The only thing I remember it for is the theme song, which I kind of like.

I thought SU was a fine/solid show. Yes, the last couple.of seasons were a bit disappointing, and I wasn't a fan of SU Future, but the hate for it is overblown.

Can't say much on DC.

There's been mixed opinions in the Pokemon community on when the show went downhill. But I've seen most Poke fans say that the show went downhill after Misty left. Imo, I lost interest after Dawn left, but eh, that's my opinion.

I've heard many bad things about the show. The only thing I remember it for is the theme song, which I kind of like.
I genuinely think that Snyder's not helping DC's comics whatsoever, but that's my opinion. I think that some of his works are underrated, but still aren't very good.

Back