• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Verse quality requirements (or lack thereof)

I strongly disagree with those guidelines and can think of many ways where they'll make things worse than they already are without actually addressing new issues, but if it's late I can wait until tomorrow so you have some time to refine your proposal.

My point in a nutshell is that we can put some objective criteria to prevent at least absolute garbage into the wiki, and that a verse doesn't necessarily have to follow every single criteria but just some of them. The problem obviously is which criteria should be chosen, but I'll elaborate better tomorrow.

My point is more that the only absolute garbage that should matter is the one that is enough of a mess that scaling or tiering of any kind is not possible, because that's what the wikia is about as an indexing site for powers.

There's already other criteria that cleans off stuff like what you are saying, which I keep bringing up. Invisible dragon is trash, but it can be tiered and an understandable profile can be made from it, what more is needed beyond that?

there are more than a few people who agree with deleting SCP kek

But yeah, making money shouldn't be a requirement, not every verse is sold for money, i.e most web novels

I am uncertain in either direction regarding if we should allow original Wattpad stories with high notability and at least decent quality of writing. Perhaps we could simply set a lower limit of at least 1 million readers, along with following all of our other quality control rules regarding that the storyline must be reasonably coherent and not break our system, for example?

I think it might be a fine idea to eyeball and look for abuse if that situation even comes up, rather than setting hard guidelines.

Like, we wouldn't want to prevent a verse from going onto the site just because it has 999,930 viewers, but if someone's pushing the limits with gradually more and more obscure verses we should stop them.

But overall, wattpad verses seem like more of a theoretical issue right now. I'd think that if it was likely someone would have tried making profiles for at least one story from it by now if it was likely to become a big deal.

This whole thing about deleting verses based off being trash, frankly doesn't even make sense to me

Will a site that measures the sales of works, and features The Room, be treated as a joke? Will a site that reviews things, and features a 1/10 novel, be made fun of? Sites that exist to analyze a particular area of a wide variety of works, since when has some of the featured works being trash said anything about the quality or credibility of the site itself? We are not the ones who wrote the story, we just compile certain information regarding it, and to any rational person, the quality of these works won't reflect on the quality of the site

The only reason I can think of why people would believe having these makes a bad impression on our wiki, is because it would mean we invested time and effort into figuring out how hard someone from one these works punches, which sounds silly, in which case I'm sure there are people who would say spending time and effort into figuring out how hard any fictional character from any work punches is silly, should we just stop doing what we do to please them? No, we shouldn't

Let's not be concerned about things that don't matter, we index works and that's it, there's no reason to be embarassed about featuring bad works when that's really a mark of our inclusiveness more than our lack of standards. In my opinion it would be much worse if we do care about a verse being bad, because that either shows an elitism that is out of place with what we actually do, or shows an obsession with not appearing stupid, which in turn is a sign of immaturity and actually makes us look worse.

Quality should be irrelevant, as long as all the other standards are being followed properly, we should be fine

I suppose that Andy makes sense. It is probably enough to keep our current standards.

If possible, I also would like a tldr summary of this discussion. Because (as several people here likely know) I was involved in the creation of an independent film series that was temporarily purchasable. And, despite its relatively low quality, I was interested in having it evaluated for possible profiles (which would be a point of pride for me, seeing as I was an actor and writer for the two films) as it does involve superpowers and fight scenes.

@Creature Those sorts of requirements weren't talked about in this thread. But I think your film fails the "Sufficiently notable outside of vs debating circles" test, by virtue of having to be introduced to the wiki by someone involved in its creation.

Back