• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Update DCAU Superman's Flight Speed to Relativistic

Why does DCAU Superman only have Hypersonic+ Flight Speed?

Superman vs Flash - Race
Superman vs Flash - Race

Not only was DCAU Superman was keeping up with DCAU Flash in a foot race while they were both running, but at 2:51 mark DCAU Superman was literally flying and was keeping up with DCAU Flash just fine. Since casual DCAU Flash without going all out is relativistic in terms of speed, shouldn't DCAU Superman be relativistic speed himself in terms of travel/flying speed?

Flash wasn't going all out at all during that race; and also, they weren't even close to moving at Relativistic speed in that scene. They were still within the same country during that whole minute and weren't running laps around the Earth per second like what would be implied.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Flash wasn't going all out at all during that race; and also, they weren't even close to moving at Relativistic speed in that scene. They were still within the same country during that whole minute and weren't running laps around the Earth per second like what would be implied.
I don't want to be that guy, but whenever a Dragon Ball characters run or fly, you rarely them doing laps all around the planet despite being faster than light, because well animator logic. Superman and Flash not being relativistic all because they didn't run around the world is not a good logic to use.

Except, again, the fact that DDM points out that flash is indeed not going all out, and we have no reason to believe that he is.

What animators do isn't our problem, but we are shown the race and we are shown how much time paces and we are shown where they still are, you don't magic that away with "but they are faster!". DBZ characters are scaled from actual speed feats, while here you are proposing to upgrade Superman for keeping up with someone fast... despite the animation clearly showing something antithetical to Relativistic speed. So suddenly the animators are idiots and we assume Flash is going that fast to compete with Supes for no reason. That's no basis to upgrade his speed.

That is false equivalency. The difference is that Dragon Ball characters have moved or flown that fast in other scenes and their combat speeds are still on that level. And Dragon Ball has a linear power level system. Flash has ran laps around the Earth in other scenes, but he does so at such speeds no one was even close to being able to keep up with him. Superman and other DCAU superheroes do have combat speeds at Relativistic, but not once have they ever flown anywhere near that fast.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
That is false equivalency. The difference is that Dragon Ball characters have moved or flown that fast in other scenes and their combat speeds are still on that level. And Dragon Ball has a linear power level system. Flash has ran laps around the Earth in other scenes, but he does so at such speeds no one was even close to being able to keep up with him. Superman and other DCAU superheroes do have combat speeds at Relativistic, but not once have they ever flown anywhere near that fast.
What about the time when Superman flew from Metropolis to outer space in 1 second?

That's still a no. Reaching outer space is not that far. If it was something like reaching the moon in seconds, you'd have something worthwhile.

We need a clip of that, I doubt it was one second but that sounds more like Massively Hypersonic even if that was legit. I have no doubts that they could be faster than Hypersonic+, but we need more direct scans of this. The one in the OP doesn't quite reflect anything major.

[URL='https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JLGRkYYmJgQ&t=102s']Superman flew from the Sun to the Earth in 17 seconds.[/URL] DarkDragonMedeus said:
We need a clip of that, I doubt it was one second but that sounds more like Massively Hypersonic even if that was legit. I have no doubts that they could be faster than Hypersonic+, but we need more direct scans of this. The one in the OP doesn't quite reflect anything major.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JLGRkYYmJgQ&t=102s

Superman flew from the Sun to the Earth in 18 seconds after he awoken from being knocked out by Darkseid.

That came from a movie that was agreed to have a different continuity than the Animated TV series. It wouldn't scale to this version of Superman. Also, it doesn't look like Superman actually reached the sun, but was simply approaching it. The angsizing implied he was still closer to the Earth than he was the sun.

Edit: this page was made recently in contrast to DC Animated Universe

DarkDragonMedeus said:
That came from a movie that was agreed to have a different continuity than the Animated TV series. It wouldn't scale to this version of Superman.
But the movie is part of the Detective Comics Animated Universe.

I believe there have been discussions about the various movies on whether or not they are canon to the TV series; the different character designs, personalities in contrast to the various TV shows seem to show otherwise. Not like anyone scales from this versio of Superman. But maybe someone like Soldier Blue might know more on the matter.

It's from the same Animated continuity, for aforementioned reasons + the fact the animation style is distinct that it matches that original JL and JLU art style when the rest of the Animated movies otherwise do not fit such. It would legitimately not make sense if this wasn't the case.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
I believe there have been discussions about the various movies on whether or not they are canon to the TV series; the different character designs, personalities in contrast to the various TV shows seem to show otherwise. Not like anyone scales from this versio of Superman. But maybe someone like Soldier Blue might know more on the matter.
So why don't we do a composite version of all animated Supermen?

I highly doubt a composite version will be accepted. Was discussed on another blog and Antvasima said something about believing the movies aren't canon. That being said, the sun feat doesn't really look all that concrete. Sure he was approaching the sun, but we aren't given how close he is too the sun or how far away he is from Earth. Can be done using this calculator for instance.

It's mentioned in both pages respectively; even at the beginning of the former says not to be confused with the latter.

Bruce Timm and Paul Dini statements and production.

Batman and Harley Quinn and Justice League vs. the Fatal Five are officially part of the DCUAOM but made in the DCAU style.

JohnCenaNation said:
What's the difference between the two universes?
One starts from events that happened in the New 52, the other started 20 years before that. I still can't fathom how people are confusing the two despite the fact they have pretty big art style changes and the term "DCAU" has been around for going on 15 years. But I guess thats because I'm old though.

It was discussed in the other DCAU revision thread that the Harley Quinn and Fatal Five movies are likely canon but the comics are too big of wild card with canonicity. Personally I think the comics have a bit of My Little Pony situation, where some need to be collectively canon.

They're speed is calculable as the race was 100 laps around the Earth. Even at 1/7 the speed of light that race would be over in less than 2 minutes but it took a good amount of time so it really isn't close to hypersonic.

The speed of light travels roughly 7 and a half laps around the earth every second, but it took them a noticeable amount of time just to leave one city, and the entire race had a bunch of time cuts and they reacted as if it took hours and it doesn't look like they even finished one lap.

Back