• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unofficial Powers and Abilities Addition Thread 4

@The pen or the sword

Its a broad power that explains the reason behind how characters can survive through and reverse these methods of deformation to their bodies.

Do they need an explanation though? If a character is more resistant to certain type of damage that can be noted in the ability/note/weakness sections, making this incredibly specific power (It is far from a broad or common ability) for the twelve characters that don't fit into our current definitions just seems really pointless...

I think Empowerment fits that ability I mentioned best. While it's primary use is to tank damage for someone else, the stat boost only happens after the person they're protecting says shit, though you'd imagine an ability like that would need supportive messages to empower the human shield, but the character with the ability can get empowered even if the person they shield doesn't want them and insults or tells them off, and that part is why I was confused because if they can be empowered even if the person doesn't want them to and only needs them to simply speak to boost their stats while shielding, then he should be able tk just boost his stats during any fight provided the opponent talks a lot and he can tank their attacks.

But then since it's a game, I'm not quite sure if the voice part is really needed since other enemies with the same "Shield" ability applied in battle still gain a stat boost even if the user says absolutely nothing.

@The God of Procrastination That's basically what the ability can do.

@The pen or the sword

For abilities like this one, yes and usually on a case-by-case basis. There's 5 versions of this power and several dozen characters have at least one of them.

I really don't agree several dozen characters having at least one version of this ability is not nearly enough reason to make the page when it can easily be specified in the techniques/weakness portions of the profile or chopped up to another ability.

To me this seems like yet another ability page we really have no need for, we aren't super powers wiki where we need pages for literally every variant of every ability. Note the characters special durability feats in the technique/weakness/durability/resistance part of the profile and move on.

In the end if enough people feel it's a necessary addition/ability I won't fight it. I just really don't see the need for this page.

The pen or the sword said:
I really don't agree several dozen characters having at least one version of this ability is not nearly enough reason to make the page when it can easily be specified in the techniques/weakness portions of the profile.
Or as a resistance, or in the durability section.

I think it's definitely a form of Statistics Amplification, but Empowerment seems good because it's not a lasting ability like most cases of Reactive Power Level and it's not really based on increasing his stats tenfold and then multiplying or whatever with each hit. He only boosts a couple of stats acting as a human shield and those increased stats eventually go away after he stops shielding.

The God Of Procrastination said:
Me neither. We could have a simple page for types of durability, though, especially with temperature feats.
Might be worth doing but I think we'd better wait for the discussion on heating/freezing feats to conclude before trying to make such a page.

Like Bambu said, this is just delving deeper into semantics.

Alright thanks. And I assume stating you've gotten way stronger after a specific time of events is Accelerated Development? And as previously discussed pushing past one's normal limits and still being able to fucntion is Berserk Mode?

Not necessarily for either. If you get unusually stronger in a given amount of time (as in, unusual for the verse) then it'd be accelerated development. "Pushing past one's normal limits" is vague and would need more context for any ability.

Hm. Well, in a fight the character I'm thinking of was able to beat another character, but it pushed him past the limits his body could usually exert and take, and he then collapsed after the fight. He was apparently functioning well beyond what his body could handle and was able to mask the fatigue and pain until only after he won, and numerous healing spells from a powerful sorcerer were shown to have no immediate effect on him. Seconds later, when trouble arrived, he sprang back up into action despite the sorcerer's worries, implying he still hadn't completely healed either and continued to fight on.

On a more serious note, one character I came up with has the power to turn off the durability off a target, causing the atmosphere to reduce them to elementary particles, which cannot exert any resistance. What would this be?

Foxthefox1000 said:
Hm. Well, in a fight the character I'm thinking of was able to beat another character, but it pushed him past the limits his body could usually exert and take, and he then collapsed after the fight. He was apparently functioning well beyond what his body could handle and was able to mask the fatigue and pain until only after he won, and numerous healing spells from a powerful sorcerer were shown to have no immediate effect on him. Seconds later, when trouble arrived, he sprang back up into action despite the sorcerer's worries, implying he still hadn't completely healed either and continued to fight on.
Body Control.

GyroNutz said:
Not necessarily for either. If you get unusually stronger in a given amount of time (as in, unusual for the verse) then it'd be accelerated development.
What if it's normal to be able to grow infinitely in the span of a few weeks?

The God Of Procrastination said:
On a more serious note, one character I came up with has the power to turn off the durability off a target, causing the atmosphere to reduce them to elementary particles, which cannot exert any resistance. What would this be?
Very specific reality warping, matter manip, possibly law manip? Really depends how he accomplishes this feat.

Ah. Seems like it fits Advanced Control.

But this instance of extending past his limits and then later on stating he grew "WAY stronger" (actual verbatim)... Would this all provide proof of Accelerated Development or maybe even Reactive Power Level? It's also an RPG where he could gain levels.

@Fox

Berserk mode generally comes with a loss of awareness/morality, that seems like a good stamina feat more than anything.

@GoP

Then it's not accelerated development. Though I doubt any verse has that.

Only a select few characters from those verses can ascend numerous infinities in the span of "weeks", it's certainly not the norm. And accelerated development isn't something you can really judge relative to the Real World where peak humans cap out at 9-C with years of training. Fiction all too commonly ***** on that.

Very specific reality warping, matter manip, possibly law manip? Really depends how he accomplishes this feat.

I have no idea how she does it, it doesn't even seem to be related to her equally mysterious power of pure durability negation, which is almost as esoteric as my other girl with one hit kill that is shown in-universe to have no aspect of any other ability.
I just realised that she has pure durability negation, which upgrades into litteral durability negation. The latter was intentional, but the former and pattern weren't.

By the way, you forgot physics manipulation and statistics reduction.

@The God Of Procrastination Actually no, it doesn't really involve Superhuman Physical Characteristics because it isn't possible to automatically get it that way.

@The pen or the sword

Not only have I never tried to imply that every character automatically gets that but you also easily misinterpretated what I said. I refer to only the ones who were shown to have it, I never meant to imply all characters in general.

If I were to separate that to 6 superpowers and we created pages for each one of them, then they will end up redundant due to lacking enough information on a page. If we added the 5 sub-versions of the power under 1 power that encompasses it (also, 5 types isn't even a lot), then the page would be much more useful that way.

GyroNutz said:
Only a select few characters from those verses can ascend numerous infinities in the span of "weeks", it's certainly not the norm. And accelerated development isn't something you can really judge relative to the Real World where peak humans cap out at 9-C with years of training. Fiction all too commonly ***** on that.
It would still be important in a battle.

Animation would be a nice power to have added, I feel like it's common enough that we'd have several characters with the ability and the power itself is one that's very specific so having to roll it under other powers like Transmutation or Summoning just seems weird.

Would being able to impose a time limit, change how fast things move, create new obstacles and alter existing ones, and creating new rules that people have to abide by upon entering the area of effect and win lest they succumb to death be Law Manipulation? Or Causality? Or both?

Similarly, suppose I create a brand new universe that can be entered via portal, but depending on where you enter the portal, things like the sizes of objects in the world or the time of the world itself can be altered to stop completely, speed up, or slow down. The Size-Shifting World also has places in it where you can go that will "shift" the sizes to big or small, and any action done within one world will translate over to the other, showing they're connected and exist at the same points in time. Creating worlds whose physics can be altered and exist at the same time and are all connected... Are there any worthwhile abilities here?

Back