• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Universe level for Attack Potency?

Edit: As there is some confusion what it is that I am suggestion here a short notice. This thread is a continuation of a latter part of this discussion in a more appropiate place, in which it was suggested to add universe level, together with an energy requirement to the AP chart. The suggestion I make here is to change nothing from the current way we rank things, together with an explanation why.

So there was some recent discussing about the fact, that energy calculations can't be universe level. Or in other words that we don't have an energy requirement for universe level listed.

That fact comes from something that was discussed in the attack potency revision with Lord Kavpeny. Essentially the reason is that we lack the tools to make any remotely reliable calculation for the necessary energy value. Why is that?

Well, to explain we first have to understand how energy values for such things are calculated. To explain on the example example of Multi-Solar System level:

We assume that some omnidirectional explosion of energy happens in the center between the two solar system. From this omnidirectional explosion only a small part of the energy would actually hit the solar sytsem, the rest would simply fly past in other directions.

Then we look at how much energy it takes to destroy the stars of said solar systems. We reason that the fraction of energy reaching the stars would have to be sufficiently high to destroy them.

By knowing that fraction of energy we can calculate the complete energy such an explosion can have.

This method is basically also what is used in the trivia blog post for energy to destroy the observable universe.

Now what is the problem with that?

Well, two things.

First: At this large scale the fact that thinsg are behind other things becomes a more major problem.

Basically if something close to the explosion is destroyed that things will intake a major part of the energy. The things in the area behind that thing (note that the area is a basically the shadow of the object away from the explosion source, so with distance this area becomes very large) have to be destroyed with what remains and the things behind those things with what is left after that etc.

That means that the actualy energy requirement to not only destroy some of the things of the border of the observable universe, but reliably everything in the observable universe is actually quite a bit larger than what is calculated there. How much larger? Who knows.

Second problem is the the universe at large scale is made up from a lot of things that we have no idea about. Current estimates go that 4.9% of the mass-energy of the universe is ordinary matter. And basically only that part would be considered in the calculation.

The 26.8% dark matter would be left unconsidered and so does the 68.3% dark energy.

Even if we take out the dark energy, that still means we consider only 15.5% of the matter in the universe at all. Not to mention that detailed properties of dark matter and energy are largely unknown.

In other words it's just a really bad estimation, which is why it back then was omitted from the attack potency chart.

Since most universe level feats are self evident either way, that also wasn't usually a problem.

So personally I am in favour of keeping the decission from back then and just listing feats that vastly exceed the energy requirements for Multi-Galaxy level, just as "at least Multi-Galaxy level" and not adding any badly estimated value for universe level.

So, since some wanted to rediscuss about universe level being added, you can do that here now.

Grudgeman1706 said:
Question? does this affect any particular characters and how we rate them. If so, which ones
Everyone at Multi-Galaxy level should have an "at least" before Multi-Galaxy

@radical I see, I have no problems with this proposition and after reading this a bit more, I can agree with what is proposed.

You make a good point. Though since most feats that past Multi Galaxy level are actually support by feats, concept, and statements ather than caculations, I don't think we will be using this proposition often.

So, you are saying that every characters that are stated to be able to destroy a big percentage of the Universe (Or, the 'observable' Universe) should be listed at "At least Multi-Galaxy level"?

Not "At least Multi-Galaxy level+".

So, everyone that is stated to destroy a Universe that isn't infinite but is contain countless of galaxies will be written as At least Multi-Galaxy?

@AidenBrooks999: My suggestion is actually to not change the current ranking system at all.

Some people suggested adding universe level to the AP chart with energy requirement. I just made the thread here to continue the discussion in a more appropiate place.

Well, the only possible change I suggest would be that if some character is calculated to be very vastly above the energy requirements for Multi-Galaxy level, it might be fine to list it as "at least Multi-Galaxy level" or something.

Antoniofer said:
So, everyone that is stated to destroy a Universe that isn't infinite but is contain countless of galaxies will be written as At least Multi-Galaxy?
No. If you have destroyed a universe, you will still be ranked universe level, just like always.

As said, I don't actually suggest a change, I suggest to not change anything. I can understand that people are confused, since usually the person making the thread would be the one suggesting change. This is basically a continue from the later part of this discussio in a more appropiate place. This only is about calculations, anything that is obviously universe level, will still be ranked just like that.

I see, welp, I haven't any problem with the actual ranking. But I have a suggestion: according to Stephen Hawkin (and his research team), the observable universe has around 126.6*10^12 of galaxies, maybe that could work to find the limit betwwen both tiers

@Cross I think it would stay since it means those character were definitely about to destroy all matter in the Universe instead of an undefined amount.

It seems weird that Universe level doesn't have any low end, since that means its range is basically completely undefined, but I doubt there's a way to resolve that satisfactorily so I'm fine with this.

I will make a detailed post regarding this topic later, but will Amitabha's tiering be affected in any way? That being said, what would happen to Amitabha's tiering according to your proposal?

Well, what I and DontTalk talked about earlier is that characters with a calculated energy output that enormously exceeds the (inaccurately, given all of the types of matter that we do not know much about, as mentioned in the original post) calculated value for destroying the observable universe, should get an "At least" rating before "Multi-Galaxy level".

More specifically, this was the case with Pre-Crisis Superman:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:DontTalk/Superman_exists_at_the_Big_Bang

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/U..._to_destroy_matter_of_the_observable_universe

@Lina Shields

I do not think that Amitabha's tier should be affected, if it is so much larger than the observable universe.

We are supposed to consider feats that destroy a literally infinite universe as High 3-A (given the required countably infinite energy), whereas blatant non-infinite universe feats are regular 3-A.

@Ant: I agree with that statement. Amitabha seems to be way too much bigger compared to the observable universe to be considered 3-B at any point. Also, keep in mind that if the universe is really infinite in size as some sources suggest, destroying it would be a High 3-A feat instead of just 3-A...

All in all, if DT is suggesting that nothing should be changed to our tiering system, then I agree that nothing should be changed as well. However...

• This page here states that the total mass-energy of the observable universe is about 40 yottafoe, or about 4e69 Joules worth of energy.
  • Considering DT has stated that 4.9% of the mass-energy of the universe is for ordinary matter, perhaps we can actually find the mass-energy of the entire universe, dark matter and dark energy included...

Perhaps. It is up to DontTalk to evaluate this however.

Antvasima said:
Well, what I and DontTalk talked about earlier is that characters with a calculated energy output that enormously exceeds the (inaccurately, given all of the types of matter that we do not know much about, as mentioned in the original post) calculated value for destroying the observable universe, should get an "At least" rating before "Multi-Galaxy level".
More specifically, this was the case with Pre-Crisis Superman:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:DontTalk/Superman_exists_at_the_Big_Bang

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/U..._to_destroy_matter_of_the_observable_universe
Going with that first blog, wouldn't one just need to find the "size" of the universe when its density was 4.6e113 J and then multiply to get the amount of energy needed to exceed all that within the universe?

@Lina: The 4e69 value possibly already includes the mass-energy of dark matter and dark energy.

More importantly though, the energy to destroy the observable universe Ôëá the energy that the observable universe contains. As you will notice 4e69 is already extremly close to Multi-Galaxy level.

@LordXcano: While we know the energy density we don't know the size the universe had back then, so we can actually not calculate how much energy the universe contains from that.

Aside from that, as said above the energy necessary to destroy the universe Ôëá the energy inside the universe. The energy to destroy the universe is likely bigger, because of the large volume you have to spread it over.

@DT You can't calculate density without knowing size? Plus I would say that using all of the energy in the universe is destroying it, since that's pretty much what heat death is.

The density is what we have given. I can not calculate from the density the amount of energy that the universe countains, without knowing its size at the time it had that density.

Heat death is actually about reaching thermodynamic equilibrum, I don't see the connection to using as much energy is in the (observable) universe or to a method of destroying all of it in a short time.

To that comes the possibility of the net energy of the universe being 0 (because of negative energy).

Lastly as Lina said, the mass-energy of the observable universe is 4e69 J. Assuming that doesn't include dark matter and energy the total of the observable universe (which would be the basis for universe level) would be not more that 8e70J.

If that were the standard, than I would be universe level if I destroyed 3 Galaxys in a row through an omnidirectional explosion. That doesn't sound all to universe level to me.

How can we have density without having both the amount of energy and the amount of space?

I agree with DontTalk about that we definitely cannot rate the amount of energy within the universe on the same scale as an omnidirectional explosion that destroys all of the contents within one.

LordXcano said:
How can we have density without having both the amount of energy and the amount of space?
You can measure the density of a fluid in a jar, without knowing how big the jar is or how much fluid contained weighs.

How? Well you take out 1 ml of the fluid and weigh that bit of fluid, so you know its mass per ml.

And as long as you can assume that the fluid is the same density everywhere, you due to that know the density of the fluid in the jar in total.

Same way energy density of the universe is measured. We take a bit of space we know the size of and measure how much energy is in that bit. Than we calculated backwards and can based on that figure out how big that bit of space was a long time ago. Assuming that bit of space held back then as much energy as it does know, we then know the energy density back then.

How much energy there is in total, or what the size of the universe is we don't know though.

Back