• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Underwater battle: Ryley robinson vs Gomamon (1 vote left)

So I think this fight comes down to if Ryley can freeze Gomamon through the bubble barrier. If yes, Ryley should take this, as he could just keep spamming the stasis rifle and just launch gas/vortex torpedos at Gomamon until he dies. If he can't get past the bubble barrier with the stasis rifle, Gomamon should take this, as they could just spam Sharp Edge and his bubble attacks until all of Ryley's vehicles get destroyed and then just kill Ryely.

Because we don't know if the stasis rifle can get past bubble barrier or not, I'm voting Inconclusive for now, because it all depends on if the stasis rifle can get past bubble barrier or not. Might change vote later if we come to an agreement on if stasis rifle would work on Bubble Barrier or if it wouldn't.
I'm of a differing opinion.
Freezes time, yes.

There are no creatures in Subnautica who have barriers or anything alike. The Lava Lizards have Lava Armor on their back, but it's more like regular armor rather than a barrier/force field, so it wouldn't really count. So I couldn't really tell you if he would be able to freeze just the barrier, or the thing inside, or even freeze anything at all.

Whenever it's fired, it releases a large ball of light in the direction of where it's fired that can be dodged. When it hits the object it's being fired at, it expands into a giant bubble and freezes in time whatever's inside of the bubble. The gun also starts to spin if you choose to charge it up (Which is kind of required for it to be useful), and it also has an audible charge. So it has almost every tell you can have that you are about to attack/have already attacked with the stasis rifle.
If the Stasis Rifles really does have so many tells as to it being about to fire, & since both sides are bloodlusted, I'd be confident Gomamon's in a good position to dodge it.

In theory, Gomamon might also be able to use his Marching Fishes as decoys/shields, if the Stasis Rifle doesn't penetrate them; Since he needs to get in melee range to land attacks except the Bubble based ones (With a questionable range of "about 40 feet", based on Ikkakumon attacking Unimon??), he would definitely have to go for some kind of approach like that.

I suppose there's also the question of what the charging is needed for. How long does the Stasis effect last?

Even if Gomamon is scaled to slightly weaker than the low end of his relevant calc, he's still roughly on par with a Sea Dragon Leviathan, but a much smaller target, for one, & his opponent has destructible equipment & normally needs a good many hits to take out a SDL, no?
  • Bubble Barrier: Encases self in a shield made of a water bubble, which repels attacks and hurts foes.
Plus, if Stasis Rifle DOESN'T affect Bubble Barrier, Gomamon has something repelling attacks & posisbly damaging Ryley or Ryley's Equipment (Depending on what range it works at.), which means Gomamon might take even longer to defeat than, say, a SDL.
With that much time needed, if the Stasis effect has a limited duration, Gomamon might unfreeze, & then he might be able to figure out what happened & work around it, given the bloodlust.

Also:
Weaknesses: His tools and vehicles have a limited (Though often not short) battery life and must have their power source replaced in order to continue functioning (This weakness can be nullified via Swim Charge Fins)

I managed to find this video of a guy killing a Sea Dragon Leviathan in game

In the video, it took him almost 3 minutes of non-stop drilling to kill the Sea Dragon. This was drilling though, and not physical attacks. If he was physically punching him, I don't know if it would have taken more or less time.

As for if the Repulsion Cannon can harm them, yes
The big point to all this is that if the Stasis Rifle freezes the Bubble Barrier, but not Gomamon (Presuming the latter has it up.), then Ryley's left with a barrier-protected, roughly SDL level opponent; It might take him longer to get past the barrier/defeat a frozen Gomamon than the Stasis lasts.
If Gomamon unfreezes, there's a not insignificant chance he'll notice he was time-stopped, & given all the tells of its use & the possible charging of it, he'll know to evade it.
As said, even without dodging by keeping track of the tells, he could use Marching Fishes to either attack at range or put decoys in the path of the Stasis Rifle so it gets his fish instead of him.

& since Ryley is a 9-B human with limited power supply, & destructible equipment, he can't afford to let his armor get hit too much.

Though I will admit that Ryley can probably dodge, too, I'd assume he has less room for error, & sprays of bubbles & schools of fishes may be more spread out than Ryley's projectiles, making it harder to dodge. (Although, Ryley's "Dozens of meters with Seamoth, P.R.A.W.N. Suit, and various other tools and equipment" technically outranges the odd Range Gomamon's profile lists.)

Gomamon may also call out his attacks, so I suppose he has tells as well, but more spread-out moves may slightly mitigate that.

If the Stasis Rifles really does have so many tells as to it being about to fire, & since both sides are bloodlusted, I'd be confident Gomamon's in a good position to dodge it.
Problem is he'd hav to dodge it by 20 meters otherwise he'd still get caught in it even if he wasnt directly hit by it
I suppose there's also the question of what the charging is needed for. How long does the Stasis effect last?
It lasts for 30 sconds and is spammable
Even if Gomamon is scaled to slightly weaker than the low end of his relevant calc, he's still roughly on par with a Sea Dragon Leviathan, but a much smaller target, for one, & his opponent has destructible equipment & normally needs a good many hits to take out a SDL, no?
The stasis rifle works bttr on smallr targts, larger targets can still pos a thread if parts of them ar left outsid the bubble. Theres also th fact that sinc Gomamon is smallr, stuff lik th propulsion cannon would b evn more useful against him
Plus, if Stasis Rifle DOESN'T affect Bubble Barrier, Gomamon has something repelling attacks & posisbly damaging Ryley or Ryley's Equipment (Depending on what range it works at.), which means Gomamon might take even longer to defeat than, say, a SDL.
It should work through the bubble barrier as it can bypass forcefields and solid objects. and again the propulsion cannon
With that much time needed, if the Stasis effect has a limited duration, Gomamon might unfreeze, & then he might be able to figure out what happened & work around it, given the bloodlust.
Even with the 30 scond duration of the bubbles the stasis rifle's shots are spammable and Ryley is smart enough to know to keep a hostil creature frozn for as long as possibl
Also:
Weaknesses: His tools and vehicles have a limited (Though often not short) battery life and must have their power source replaced in order to continue functioning (This weakness can be nullified via Swim Charge Fins)
Assuming theyre fighting underwater the battery life shouldnt be an issue, Swim Charge Fins would keep Ryley's stuff at max energy indefinitly, and eve if theyrenot undrwater assuming Ryley has all his best equipmnt his stuff would be decked out with Ion battries which would giv his vehicles hours of runtime and his stasis rifle ~100 shots full power shots before needing a replacement battery
As said, even without dodging by keeping track of the tells, he could use Marching Fishes to either attack at range or put decoys in the path of the Stasis Rifle so it gets his fish instead of him.
How big are the Marching Fishes? Ryley has stuff like the propulsion cannon, repulsion cannon, and grav trap that would likely be abl to counter them, as well as vortex torpedoes that would both countr the fishes and make dodging extremely difficult for gomamon

The stasis rifle works bttr on smallr targts, larger targets can still pos a thread if parts of them ar left outsid the bubble. Theres also th fact that sinc Gomamon is smallr, stuff lik th propulsion cannon would b evn more useful against him
I hadn't been aware of this aspect of it. What size is the bubble supposed to be?
It should work through the bubble barrier as it can bypass forcefields and solid objects. and again the propulsion cannon
The "bypass forcefields" aspect of this part of your reply confuses me because of this:
There are no creatures in Subnautica who have barriers or anything alike. The Lava Lizards have Lava Armor on their back, but it's more like regular armor rather than a barrier/force field, so it wouldn't really count. So I couldn't really tell you if he would be able to freeze just the barrier, or the thing inside, or even freeze anything at all.

Whenever it's fired, it releases a large ball of light in the direction of where it's fired that can be dodged. When it hits the object it's being fired at, it expands into a giant bubble and freezes in time whatever's inside of the bubble. The gun also starts to spin if you choose to charge it up (Which is kind of required for it to be useful), and it also has an audible charge. So it has almost every tell you can have that you are about to attack/have already attacked with the stasis rifle.
Continuing on....
Even with the 30 scond duration of the bubbles the stasis rifle's shots are spammable and Ryley is smart enough to know to keep a hostil creature frozn for as long as possibl
Spammable how? Also, how does the charge factor into the use of the Stasis Rifle?
Assuming theyre fighting underwater the battery life shouldnt be an issue,
AFAIK, the OP ( @Pokemonfan807 ) did not specify circumstances beyond saying that "ryley decides to fight for his life after a gomamon attacks him". I believe we default to SBA'S Central Park, New York, in situations like this?
So they might not be in water, which could be a problem for both.
Swim Charge Fins would keep Ryley's stuff at max energy indefinitly, and eve if theyrenot undrwater assuming Ryley has all his best equipmnt his stuff would be decked out with Ion battries which would giv his vehicles hours of runtime and his stasis rifle ~100 shots full power shots before needing a replacement battery
I found no mention of Ion Batteries specifically, on his profile, aside from mention of things being battery powered or having battery life. Are these numerous batteries some kind of collectable/upgrade? It may be concerning that they aren't mentioned as Standard Equipment, nor listed among his Equipment.
How big are the Marching Fishes? Ryley has stuff like the propulsion cannon, repulsion cannon, and grav trap that would likely be abl to counter them, as well as vortex torpedoes that would both countr the fishes and make dodging extremely difficult for gomamon
I checked Gomamon's profile & looked up about 4 other Gomamon profiles from other wikis, but could not find a good visual reference for the scale of Marching Fishes. Sorry. (It's been a while since I've seen the anime.)
IIRC, on some occasions, the Marching Fishes have been used to carry people or objects. Individually, the fishes are smaller than Gomamon, but as it's a school, the total volume/mass could easily be greater than Gomamon himself.

It may be notable that, if he's using them as a means to attack, that they may (Presumably not individually.) scale to Gomamon's AP, so I feel that I should ask what are your arguments for the equipment you mentioned as counters to Marching Fishes & how they'd impede evasion.

Also, are you okay, WeeklyBattles? Your typing seems... atypical.

Hopefully I haven't been unpleasant.

I hadn't been aware of this aspect of it. What size is the bubble supposed to be?
When the stasis bubble activates it has a diameter of 20 meters (so goma would have to dodge by 10 meters not 20, my mistake)
The "bypass forcefields" aspect of this part of your reply confuses me because of this:
Yeah there arent any creatures with forcefields but theres equipment that has forcfields, specifically the Cyclops which the stasis rifle can freeze even with its forcefield active
Spammable how? Also, how does the charge factor into the use of the Stasis Rifle?
Okay so the Stasis Rifle has two ways of firing, it can either be fired semi-automatic, launching spheres that create a 5 meter bubble of stopped time when they hit the target, or it can be charged for up to 5 seconds, launching a single bubble that creates a 20 meter sphere of stopped time.

This shows pretty well both the spammed shots and the charged shot

AFAIK, the OP ( @Pokemonfan807 ) did not specify circumstances beyond saying that "ryley decides to fight for his life after a gomamon attacks him". I believe we default to SBA'S Central Park, New York, in situations like this?
So they might not be in water, which could be a problem for both.
Hmm, fair enough, though Ryley would still have Ion batteries for his equipment so he should be able to last for quite a long time
I found no mention of Ion Batteries specifically, on his profile, aside from mention of things being battery powered or having battery life. Are these numerous batteries some kind of collectable/upgrade? It may be concerning that they aren't mentioned as Standard Equipment, nor listed among his Equipment.
Wait really? That seems like an oversight, they should be on his profile

I checked Gomamon's profile & looked up about 4 other Gomamon profiles from other wikis, but could not find a good visual reference for the scale of Marching Fishes. Sorry. (It's been a while since I've seen the anime.)
IIRC, on some occasions, the Marching Fishes have been used to carry people or objects. Individually, the fishes are smaller than Gomamon, but as it's a school, the total volume/mass could easily be greater than Gomamon himself.
If this is them they would definitely get caught by a grav trap
It may be notable that, if he's using them as a means to attack, that they may (Presumably not individually.) scale to Gomamon's AP, so I feel that I should ask what are your arguments for the equipment you mentioned as counters to Marching Fishes & how they'd impede evasion.
Th Repulsion cannon is High 8-C. As for th propulsion cannon and grav traps that would rquir them to have either gravity resistance or th lifting strngth to get out of the pull of th weapons
Also, are you okay, WeeklyBattles? Your typing seems... atypical.
Hopefully I haven't been unpleasant.
Im fin, my e key is just broken lol

And nah your good man, i dont mind clarifying stuff

When the stasis bubble activates it has a diameter of 20 meters (so goma would have to dodge by 10 meters not 20, my mistake)
Depending on how Speed Equalized works, that may be feasible. Ryley has this presumably applicable speed: Superhuman movement speed with the Seamoth (Can attain a maximum of 13 m/s) & Gomamon has this: Speed: Massively Hypersonic+ (Comparable to Tentomon)
If his speed is like that of Ryley's maximum in the Seamoth (I didn't find speeds for the Cyclops or P.R.A.W.N listed.), then he needs only about 1 second to dodge, & can probably aimdodge somewhat, too.

If we consider Gomamon's speed, Baseline MHS+ Speed is 343,000 m/s. So if the travel speed is similar to that then one second is MORE than enough to move 10 meters, lol.
Speed equalization is weird, lol.
Yeah there arent any creatures with forcefields but theres equipment that has forcfields, specifically the Cyclops which the stasis rifle can freeze even with its forcefield active
I hadn't know the Cyclops was an enemy or such, but good to know.
Hmm, fair enough, though Ryley would still have Ion batteries for his equipment so he should be able to last for quite a long time
It might also be notable that if OP specified Gomamon is attacking him, they may begin in melee range. It may be worth while to ask @Pokemonfan807 what the starting range is meant to be, if he meant to specify anything.
That's from like, episode 2 of the series, & thanks to early-installment weirdness, seems to have been called by the wrong name, but more or less accurate.
Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't used it at different sizes & I'm confident he's used it in other circumstances. Dunno if he used it out of water in Adventure. Maybe in 2020, but I think that's a different canon from Adventure.
Th Repulsion cannon is High 8-C. As for th propulsion cannon and grav traps that would rquir them to have either gravity resistance or th lifting strngth to get out of the pull of th weapons
I doubt Marching Fishes has either of those, especially since Gomamon himself has Unknown LS, lol.
Im fin, my e key is just broken lol
Good luck with that. Your operating system may have an On-Screen Keyboard program in the accessibility features that will let you type by clicking keys on a screen with your mouse pointer.
That may help you type keys you're having difficulty with until you can repair or replace your current key(board) for such issues.
Or maybe that's none of my business, lol.
And nah your good man, i dont mind clarifying stuff
Glad to know it!

Depending on how Speed Equalized works, that may be feasible. Ryley has this presumably applicable speed: Superhuman movement speed with the Seamoth (Can attain a maximum of 13 m/s) & Gomamon has this: Speed: Massively Hypersonic+ (Comparable to Tentomon)
If his speed is like that of Ryley's maximum in the Seamoth (I didn't find speeds for the Cyclops or P.R.A.W.N listed.), then he needs only about 1 second to dodge, & can probably aimdodge somewhat, too.

If we consider Gomamon's speed, Baseline MHS+ Speed is 343,000 m/s. So if the travel speed is similar to that then one second is MORE than enough to move 10 meters, lol.
Speed equalization is weird, lol.
I hadn't know the Cyclops was an enemy or such, but good to know.
Its not, its one of Ryley's anf he can timestop it with the stasis rifle
That's from like, episode 2 of the series, & thanks to early-installment weirdness, seems to have been called by the wrong name, but more or less accurate.
Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't used it at different sizes & I'm confident he's used it in other circumstances. Dunno if he used it out of water in Adventure. Maybe in 2020, but I think that's a different canon from Adventure.
How big exactly? Because Grav Traps can trap creatures like Rabbit Rays which are as big as humans, the handheld propulsion cannon can trap stuff that is up to 25 kg, and the prawn propulsion cannon scales to ryley's lifting strength of class 100

Neat! How long have those assumption lists been present, I wonder? Not important, just neat.
So, with around 13 m/s (Assuming the P.R.A.W.N or Cyclops's speed or whatever he's in isn't different from the Sea Moth.) & aim dodging, he might be able to evade the bubbles, & have incentive to, given bloodlust.
Its not, its one of Ryley's anf he can timestop it with the stasis rifle
He can timestop his own equipment?
How big exactly? Because Grav Traps can trap creatures like Rabbit Rays which are as big as humans, the handheld propulsion cannon can trap stuff that is up to 25 kg, and the prawn propulsion cannon scales to ryley's lifting strength of class 100
I haven't viewed other appearances of marching fishes recently, nor attempted to calculate/guesstimate their mass, I'm sorry to say.
Also, why the connection between the propulsion cannon & Ryley's own LS?

Neat! How long have those assumption lists been present, I wonder? Not important, just neat.
Since the end of March going by the page history lol
So, with around 13 m/s (Assuming the P.R.A.W.N or Cyclops's speed or whatever he's in isn't different from the Sea Moth.) & aim dodging, he might be able to evade the bubbles, & have incentive to, given bloodlust.
He can but it would be hard given the semi-auto fire rate
He can timestop his own equipment?
if he chooses to shoot his own stuff directly yeah
Also, why the connection between the propulsion cannon & Ryley's own LS?
Because it can lift stuff that he cant

Since the end of March going by the page history lol

He can but it would be hard given the semi-auto fire rate

if he chooses to shoot his own stuff directly yeah

Because it can lift stuff that he cant
Thanks for the answer. Late at night, so I might opinionate more on this later, though I appreciate the perspective you help provide in this debate.

btw, Considering this is Jou AND Gomamon, it should be noted that Gomamon is prevented from evolution. Otherwise this would be quite unfair. Also, Jou is capable of buffing Gomamon's power if need be, so take that into consideration.

Honestly, once revisions are accepted, I will be making a Vikemon profile which will have a Gomamon with a bit more to work with than Jou's.

Back