• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

(undertale) the anomaly/player revisions

the player isn't the anomaly
sans' dialogue about the anomaly:
our reports showed a massive anomaly in the timespace continuum. timelines jumping left and right, stopping and starting...
until suddenly, everything ends.
heh heh heh... that's your fault, isn't it?
sounds strange, but before all this i was secretly hoping we could be friends. i always thought the anomaly was doing this cause they were unhappy. and when they got what they wanted, they would stop all this.
and maybe all they needed was... i dunno. some good food, some bad laughs, some nice friends.
but that's ridiculous, right? yeah, you're the type of person who won't EVER be happy.
you'll keep consuming timelines over and over, until... well. hey. take it from me, kid. someday... you gotta learn when to QUIT.
there is literally nothing here that suggests the anomaly is the real life player and this is also the only time "the anomaly" is ever mentioned in the game
obviously sans is talking to frisk since when he shifts from talking about the anomaly in the third person to the second person he calls the anomaly a kid, if he's somehow talking to the player through frisk or something then he wouldn't assume we're a kid
frisk is the anomaly
if someone can tell me why people assume the anomaly = the player in the first place, please do

the player doesn't control time
we just control frisk, who controls time, pretty self-explanatory

there's nothing to suggest the player has superhuman physical characteristics
self-explanatory, also a quote from the player's profile:
Has survived so far every action and the destruction of the game without ever being in danger but this is due to them not being present within the game

possession
we possess frisk😐
also possession is literally in the profile's tags lmao

reality warping via data manipulation (or just reality warping idk i feel like they overlap sometimes in 4th-wall breaky video game verses and it's weird)
we can change frisk's stats + LV and EXP amounts, enemies' stats probably, sprites, idk how but I've seen someone change dialogue, and probably a lot more, without much trouble

Low 2-C?🤔
via just deleting the game from our device/uninstalling it or deleting all the game's files and stuff or just breaking the game otherwise, and being able to recreate it via un-deleting those files or reinstalling the game or whatever, not sure if it counts by this community's standards but I feel like it should
also the tobydog has "at least low 2-C" via having created undertale and also seeing the entire undertale world and all of the characters as merely fiction, and obviously the one who's playing through undertale's world as a mere video game sees undertale's world and characters as fiction

remove the 'antagonist' tag pls
it's literally impossible for the player to be an antagonist, it doesn't really matter but it ticks me off lol

so to summarize the changes i'm proposing
  • change the profile's title to "The Player (Undertale)" and remove the other random stuff in the profile relating to the anomaly
  • add "The Anomaly" to frisk's classifications lol
  • remove time manipulation, type 4 immortality and the Reset and True Reset notable attacks/techniques
  • remove superhuman physical characteristics
  • add possession
  • add reality warping
  • add low 2-C (maybe)
  • remove the antagonist tag from their profile
it's 9:28 PM what am i doing

Last edited:
I forgot, does the data manip comes from messing with the files, and is that canon?

Doing anything to the game outside the canon/lore is not applicable, so no to low 2-C, that's give any player characters tier 2 for being able to do that

reality warping via data manipulation (or just reality warping idk i feel like they overlap sometimes in 4th-wall breaky video game verses and it's weird)
we can change frisk's stats + LV and EXP amounts, enemies' stats probably, sprites, idk how but I've seen someone change dialogue, and probably a lot more, without much trouble
The Player isn't a being canonically manipulating reality, stats, sprites, etc... So big no to this.

Tbf why do we even keep the profile at all?

The Player isn't a being canonically manipulating reality, stats, sprites, etc... So big no to this.

Tbf why do we even keep the profile at all?
If you delete the save file 0 and 9 flowey actually comments on it if I remember correctly

From what I remember this only works if you are deleting in the middle of genocide route but it's enough of a proof that player is canonically affecting the reality in undertale

also
from the annoying dog's profile:
Speed: Omnipresent (Exists in all places. Even when a file has been corrupted and reality no longer exists, the Annoying Dog will still be there, either sleeping or walking around in an empty void, entirely intact.)
so from what I gather, this profile at least considers the game breaking to be canon since him surviving it is considered a feat, and that screen happening can be and from what I gather usually is a result of the player screwing something up while trying to mess with the game, if the tobydog surviving the aftermath of the player screwing up the game is canon then the player screwing up the game is canon
(also, if reality no longer exists when the game breaks, the player should be low 2-C for being able to cause that lol)
Durability: At least Universe level+ (Completely immune to all adverse effects on reality, and will even continue existing if nothing else does. Cannot be removed from the game's files/existence)
kinda self-explanatory, if the tobydog not being able to be removed from the game files by the player is considered a canon feat then us removing and thereby otherwise messing with the game's files should also be considered a canon feat

also, I present to you,

an ending where sans literally comments on the player screwing with the game lol
If you delete the save file 0 and 9 flowey actually comments on it if I remember correctly
if that's true then yeah, that too, can you try to find some scans?

Last edited:
Did a quick search on YouTube and found this

he doesn't directly comment on it, but that is definitely a different reaction and it also doesn't specify it's just an error thing or anything like that unlike in the dirty hacker ending, so yeah the player altering reality through the files can probably be considered canon

an ending where sans literally comments on the player screwing with the game lol, but I get why that might not be considered canon
Honestly don't see why this will be considered non canon especially when we are talking about the player

but yeah, in a game like this there isn't really much reason to consider something like that non-canon, however strange it is

honestly if the dirty hacker ending and the player messing with the files are considered non-canon, nearly all of the annoying dog's feats should also be considered non-canon lol

The ending is programmed in game for hackers the error message part is only their in case some legit player get's it because of some bug and so they can report the said bug
I mean, yeah, but somehow I feel that it is directly to the player as a canon being, and since, flowey talks with the player here

Their is no such thing as canon in undertale whatever player decides is canon it's a game about the choice the player makes

Did a quick search on YouTube and found this

Sorry to bother, but this interaction isn't special for file deletion. It's actually a normal response from Flowey if you were to reset mid-geno. This message appears here because "clearing file0" is what the reset button does normally. ("file9" has the task to take you to your last save point or something like that iirc):
  • file0: When a SAVE point is used, the actual state of the world is saved to this file. When the player quits and reloads the game, the game loads this file.
  • file9: This file is used by the game to save the actions of the protagonist automatically at hidden autosaves. It is reloaded after the protagonist receives a Game Over.

but yeah based on that and the other stuff, the player warping reality through the game files should probably be considered canon, and thereby also the potentially low 2-C stuff😳

Last edited:
I know deltarune is an au and all, but I will use it to prop up arguments that I could make anyways (and did on some CRTs as I recall).

Frisk isn't the one manipulating time. This is made clear by both Chara and Flowey's words in the genocide and pacifist ending.

In Genocide, Chara explicitly asks for your soul, references your pervert desire of being a completion ist if you redo the ending, etc.

In Pacifist, more blatantly, Flowey tells you to let Frisk live their life and not reset. He then calls you [Player Name].

Now, Chara shares the name that you chose, yes. But we know Chara can't reset before you sell your soul to them, so the only person with that name is the player, who chose this name.

This is further proved by save files. There, the name upon the save files is whatever you chose for yourself and not Frisk.

And this is where Deltarune comes in, where we see a save file in the name of Kris, then are shown the player overwriting it with their own save file. The game makes it clear that the player is possessing Kris.

It might not be directly related in that, nothing you do in Deltarune will affect Undertale, but Toby did say that the two are connected, and the fact that the player is allowed to reference Undertale tells me the intention was to say that the player from Undertale went on to Deltarune.

Even without the explanations for the player from Deltarune, I'd still be able to make the argument that who Flowey specifies is different from Frisk is us.

Hell, at worst just change the profile to be a Deltarune one, there you cannot argue the player isn't a character, and the player is even allowed to outright erase timelines with ominous descriptions of it.

Reactions: Rez
wait were you saying chara is the one who manipulates time or the player is or what? i don't think i get what you were saying

wait were you saying chara is the one who manipulates time or the player is or what? i don't think i get what you were saying
I explained that it's the player.

It can't be Frisk, Flowey outright states to leave Frisk alone and not reset. He finishes this off by saying the chosen player name.

It can't be Chara, they need us to sell our soul at the end of genocide for that.

The only person with the chosen player name, then, is the player themselves.

This is also shown in SAVEs, where they state the player name instead of "Frisk". Again, that can't be Chara, they only gain power over your soul at the end of genocide.

Deltarune is an au game of Undertale where the player is heavily implied to be the same player from Undertale, who possesses Kris as their "vessel", putting the red soul into him, and making SAVEs in the player's chosen name while overwriting a save in Kris' name.

I get it now and makes sense mostly, buuut

and the narration is pretty obviously describing frisk's actions in this whole scene

True, though the player controls Frisk' body (you chose when they eat, lay down to sleep, or even move at all), and by the ending Frisk seems more autonomous (revealing their true name, for exemple) the same way you lose control to Chara in the genocide ending.

I probably ought to make a crt to add a Deltarune key for the player though. They (we?) are outright Low 2-C there, and have better defined strengths and weaknesses.

the thing in this scene is, all the player does is press a button to see the next text, we don't even do anything to "command" frisk to reach for the save file, they do that on their own
the player and frisk probably share or just both have time manipulation stuff if anything

They (we?) are outright Low 2-C there
elaborate?🤔

the thing in this scene is, all the player does is press a button to see the next text, we don't even do anything to "command" frisk to reach for the save file, they do that on their own
the player and frisk probably share or just both have time manipulation stuff if anything
You only press a single button to walk, or lay down, or to cook noodles, wait and eat them.

Even in Deltarune, the monologue appears from Kris' perspective, despite the player overwriting the save: At times, you see it flickering. The light only you can see. By second nature, you reach out, and...

Though it is very low-key in the direct fourth wall breaks referring to the player, so I'm fine with either interpretation there. Frisk does have some level of autonomy for sure.

elaborate?🤔
Dialogue for erasing save files:
SELECT THE ONE TO ERASE.

BUT THERE WAS NOTHING LEFT TO ERASE. (If all slots are empty)

TRULY ERASE IT? (I'd there is a save file on the slot)

• THEN IT WAS SPARED. (Chosing not to erase it)
    • VERY Interesting. ("Threatening" to erase the same save ten times.)
  • THEN IT WILL BE DESTROYED. (Confirming erasure)
    • IT WAS AS IF IT WAS NEVER THERE AT All. (After successfully erasing it)
If trying to erase a save file before completing the game, you are instead shown two choices: "ERASE" "DO NOT", these two being the same choices Chara "gives" you.

Each save slot also has a very minor difference in Asriel's drawer, where for the first one, there's a torn cross-country shirt, for the second, a school ID with a bad haircut, and on the third, expired coupons.

THEN IT WILL BE DESTROYED. (Confirming erasure)
  • IT WAS AS IF IT WAS NEVER THERE AT All. (After successfully erasing it)
so basically we destroy a timeline when we erase a save file, damn
I was about to suggest them being 2-C since we can have 3 save files at once and we can mess with all of them, but we can only play in, destroy and create one save file at a time so

so from what I gather, this profile at least considers the game breaking to be canon since him surviving it is considered a feat, and that screen happening can be and from what I gather usually is a result of the player screwing something up while trying to mess with the game, if the tobydog surviving the aftermath of the player screwing up the game is canon then the player screwing up the game is canon
actually, since it also says reality no longer exists when the game breaks like that, the player would indeed be low 2-C for causing undertale's reality to no longer exist by breaking the game😳

Since this crt is for the Anomaly, should I try repurposing it to talk about whether it's fine to say UT Anomaly = DR player, or should I make a new crt for that?

Back