• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
So the way I discovered Umineko is kinda funny. I discovered this wiki in 2016 and sporadically browsed a long while before actually making an account. I'd typically browse random pages in the upper tiers of the system, DB threads, stuff about weird hax and regen, whatever. During this time, I'd discovered many Umineko character profiles...but I didn't know they were Umineko profiles because I only read the powers and Abilities, AP, and speed. Fast forward to Summer 2017 and I don't recall how I got this idea but I really wanted to watch some type of psychological horror anime even though I didn't know that genre actually existed. I'm running over options with a friend of mine and Higurashi comes up which he strongly recommended. I watched it, I loved it, I watched every piece of Higurashi available and I still want more. I do some research and find the Umineko anime but I also hear that it's awful and to get the visual novel which at the time I didn't know how to find. So instead, I go for the next anime on my list to watch: Another and Shinsekai yori (the latter of which is amazing).

I forget about Umineko for a bit but then one day I'm browsing the Tier 1s on the wiki and I get to Bern's profile and just think...huh that name sounds familiar... (it sounded familiar because of Higurashi Rei where Rika says she should go back to being herself instead of the witch Bernkastel but I didn't fully realize that at the time)...then it was kinda like "wow she kinda looks like Rika" and when I scrolled down I finally spotted it and was like "Umineko no na...WAIT WHAT"

Then, it finally clicked that I'd definitely seen at least a dozen Umineko profiles over the course of a year and had no idea. After that, I found a way to get it and the already extremely high expectations I had were blown out of the water. It's easily my favorite visual novel and one of the best experiences I've had with fiction of any form. The music is great, I love the characters, the imagery, and much like Higurashi, whatever mood they were going for, they knocked it out of the park.

Reading it in a dark room on a big screen with wireless headphones is also the best way to do it IMO. Strongly recommended

One of my friends got me into Umineko. Suggested it to me when they started rereading it. I read it over the course of the next 6 months and it was great. I love it a lot. I'm still reading Higurashi though. Kinda weird to read Umineko first, haha.

Yeah, Higurashi is great, such a wild ride and Umineko is sooo worth rereading (I decided to do so myself tbh and I'm currently in the process of doing so). Considering checking out the other two(?) 07th Expansion vns, I know Higanbana is one of them, also considering reading Dies Irae.

Back