• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Tweeking a niche Power Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tllmbrg

VS Battles
Content Moderator
So Water Walking
Yah this power is really specific and doesn't have that many users (Only 143)

Now the power is unique so I don't want to nuke it, but I think expending the power is something we should.
My idea for how to expend it is to include being able to move on top of any diffcult surface without sinking into it, so this would add stuff like snow, mud and sand etc etc walking
Power can be re-named to be Material Walking or Irregular Walking

Last edited:
I would also like if this got extended to walking on substances you cant normally walk on like air, the vacuum of space, plasmas etc etc

also one of the noted examples should be walking on treetops cause a lot of ninjas do it

I vaguely recall suggesting a power to cover all unnatural forms of mobility, including stuff like elemental motion, such swimming in air and earth, or walking through liquids and gases. If expanded even further, it can't involve forms of ignoring "penalties" caused by the environment, such not slowed down by snow, or not get your speed danpened by walking in not deep waters, that kind of stuff.

That could indeed be handy, although I think you could probably come up with counterarguments to it

I vaguely recall suggesting a power to cover all unnatural forms of mobility, including stuff like elemental motion, such swimming in air and earth, or walking through liquids and gases. If expanded even further, it can't involve forms of ignoring "penalties" caused by the environment, such not slowed down by snow, or not get your speed danpened by walking in not deep waters, that kind of stuff.
I recall it too, it would also encompass Surface Scaling, it basically was Super Mobility in general, and tbh I wouldn't disagree with such power (the name can definitely be adjusted)

So would we murder current surface scaling with Water Walk page and rename it to be Hyper Mobility or something like that? (Hyper sounds cooler then Super, fight me)

That would be ideal, tho hypermobility, as a word, is already used for the Acrobatics page, and there might be some confusion if we recycle it.

Also, since this subject has been discussed a lot and would affect two pages, agreement and opinions from several users and staff is required.

I am with the other guys, merging them into a new ability will be much better (and easier)

Okay so basically we agree to combine water walking and surface scaling to one page (Something naked Super Mobility it or a name in that vein) yah?

Renaming Water Walking to Material Walking, or something better named, would only require a redirect link, but merging it with surface scaling could likely require a massive amount of work, given that almost 1000 character pages link to it. So I would prefer the former option.

So we just rename the page, edit it to include on any hard to walk on material?
That works

So what should we rename the water walking page to, and would somebody be willing to write a draft text for it?

So what should we rename the water walking page to, and would somebody be willing to write a draft text for it?
Maybe ping staff for this?
Okay.

@SomebodyData @Dragonmasterxyz @Celestial_Pegasus @Soldier_Blue @Saikou_The_Lewd_King @DarkDragonMedeus @Wokistan @Mr._Bambu @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @ByAsura @Sir_Ovens @Damage3245 @Starter_Pack @Ogbunabali @Abstractions @LordGriffin1000

Would any of you be willing to offer input regarding this please?

Wasn't there going to be an Elemental Locomotion page, with this being a sub-type or sub-page?

What does elemental locomotion mean in this case?

What does elemental locomotion mean in this case?
I believe it would encompass the unusual methods of mobility throughout different elements; like walking on water, walking on air, swimming through earth, walking on clouds (?), etc.

Aha. That seems like a good fit to rename water walking to then.

I don't think I really agree with the examples in the OP. You can already walk on sand just normally, and snow's fine too if it's packed or you use snowshoes. Even mud you'll be fine with planks of wood under your feet. Water you can't really do this with.

I don't think I really agree with the examples in the OP. You can already walk on sand just normally, and snow's fine too if it's packed or you use snowshoes. Even mud you'll be fine with planks of wood under your feet. Water you can't really do this with.
I mean you objectively can’t go as fast on regular ground as on those materials plus I can just switch the example to quick sand or something so

I mean it depends on the example, if it's just "character runs on snow" then I don't think it should be an ability but if it's like the LOTR books where everyone else is forcefully digging through 2 meters of snow while legolas just walks on top without even making footprints obviously it qualifies

I think adding Sand is a bit iffy since I can walk on sand perfectly fine

Leaving the name as it is also seems fine, but expanding it to effectively encompass all things like lava, mud, etc would be good, yes.

It seems that running on sand requires more energy then usual so there's that

What would be the qualifying factor for the material for this power?
As far as I can tell everyone agrees liquid/liquid esc materials are good but what about gases that aren't air or clouds? (Yes I know water vaoprs but still)

Leaving the name as it is also seems fine, but expanding it to effectively encompass all things like lava, mud, etc would be good, yes.
Bambu makes sense to me.

Should we rename the page to Elemental Locomotion or not?

Well, I wouldn't consider stuff like lava or mud as elements, so maybe the name of Elemental Locomotion wouldn't be that appropiated. Maybe something akin to Free Movement, the power to move through any surface or fluid without getting its mobility capability hindered, it could work as few powers from ttrpg where characters do not get their movement speed or suffer any penalty by moving through uneven places, or like that one artifact in Blasphemous that allows the Penitent One to move through water without getting his speed and jump reduced.

Yes, it is probably fine, but we would have to divide the power into different types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back