• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

TV Tropes Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Also joker may be a lunatic but he’s an American lunatic

(I like it when the even villains have standards trope is in effect, it shows that the villains are not completely evil bastards)
The Joker has literally killed more people than the Nazis, lmao

Wasn't the TV tropes page being moved into a wiki or something? I found the latter easier to keep up with, as the old page they use requires an understanding of how it works well to act in it.

Also, a channel I follow called OverlySarcasticProductions has a series called Trope Talk where it discusses tropes, its often uses in fiction, and deplorable & remarkable uses of them. It's not one of those channels afraid to criticize things that are bad or mediocre.

Wasn't the TV tropes page being moved into a wiki or something? I found the latter easier to keep up with, as the old page they use requires an understanding of how it works well to act in it.

Also, a channel I follow called OverlySarcasticProductions has a series called Trope Talk where it discusses tropes, its often uses in fiction, and deplorable & remarkable uses of them. It's not one of those channels afraid to criticize things that are bad or mediocre.

I’m not sure on the wiki one. I always use the website since it basically has everything.

that’s a nice channel. Thanks for the link

also efficiente tropes are just tools. They are not good or bad. It just depends on how you use them.

I'm well aware and love many uses of generic ones, I meant "deplorable & remarkable" uses in, already in what they are. Any suggestion of how something could be better derives it from what it is, so it keeps a premise of "if it keeps on using this trope", which is one way to tackle things.

I'm well aware and love many uses of generic ones, I meant "deplorable & remarkable" uses in, already in what they are. Any suggestion of how something could be better derives it from what it is, so it keeps a premise of "if it keeps on using this trope", which is one way to tackle things.

Oh you mean like taking a trope and using it many different ways like subverted, averted, defied, etc

They put One Above All as the strongest Trope Pantheon God (I think?) whereas we only have him at 1-A
I believe that the highest ranks(Not necessarily the strongest) right now are Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, which are real people who can't be on this wiki. Then we have Ugo at Low 1-C who determines the ranks and the six house leaders as Cosmos at at least 2-A, although she is weaker than the other Overdeities, Melkor, who is at least Low 2-C, likely Low 1-C, the SMT versions of YHVH and Lucifer, who are both 1-A, Nekron, who is 2-C, possibly 2-A and Gaea, whose only entry here is to 4-B Percy Jackson incarnation.

As for TOAA, they only claim that he's the strongest Marvel God, but apparently he's stronger than YHVH?

In the same page as TOAA is Yuji Sakai, who doesn't have a page here but Shakugan no Shana only goes up to Tier 7, which isn't even planetary, which is the MINIMUM for overdeity status. And they somehow have Yami from Okami, a 3-C, lower than that?

In the same page as TOAA is Yuji Sakai, who doesn't have a page here but Shakugan no Shana only goes up to Tier 7, which isn't even planetary, which is the MINIMUM for overdeity status. And they somehow have Yami from Okami, a 3-C, lower than that?
I don't really understand how the TOAA of the TV Tropes site works, but seeing Yuji Sakai up there is bizarre, though I can understand why people would think that. To keep it simple and short, Yuji's greatest feat is he copy-pasted a universe into a "blank space". I have no idea how such a feat would be translated in VS Battles terms, though.

Oh, btw, I’m working on a profile for Mr. Administrator from the TV Tropes series Echo Chamber and its spin-off arg The Wall Will Fall. Gimme a second to find the link

Melkor, who is at least Low 2-C, likely Low 1-C
Well, just Low 1-C now

the SMT versions of YHVH and Lucifer, who are both 1-A, Nekron, who is 2-C, possibly 2-A and Gaea, whose only entry here is to 4-B Percy Jackson incarnation.

As for TOAA, they only claim that he's the strongest Marvel God, but apparently he's stronger than YHVH?
Meanwhile Satan is stuck as "Greater God" and Metatron is stuck "Intermediate God".

Goku solos 90% if SMT I suppose.

I don't really understand how the TOAA of the TV Tropes site works, but seeing Yuji Sakai up there is bizarre, though I can understand why people would think that. To keep it simple and short, Yuji's greatest feat is he copy-pasted a universe into a "blank space". I have no idea how such a feat would be translated in VS Battles terms, though.
Isn't Yuji Sakai the main character of his series? Strange that he doesn't have a profile here. Of course, since I haven't read Shakugan no Shana, and it seems like a dead verse here...
As for the feat, I'd say that's ....is copy-pasting a universe creation? That wouldn't scale to Tier, in that case.

Isn't Yuji Sakai the main character of his series? Strange that he doesn't have a profile here. Of course, since I haven't read Shakugan no Shana, and it seems like a dead verse here...
He used to have a profile looooong ago, but it was horrible so it was deleted.
As for the verse itself, I'm a one-man team doing research and making profiles for it (currently 8 of them), so it's a painfully slow process. I plan on adding Yuji's profile eventually.

He used to have a profile looooong ago, but it was horrible so it was deleted.
As for the verse itself, I'm a one-man team doing research and making profiles for it (currently 8 of them), so it's a painfully slow process. I plan on adding Yuji's profile eventually.
So that's why. What tier do you think the verse is right now, based on your research (I can't imagine myself making profiles, wish you the best of luck)

i think the most important trope is probably "tv tropes will ruin your life"

in the realm of creative art, a mathematic way of picking apart expressionistic conceptual pieces is a death sentence. this wiki already fosters a lot of rigid, literal interpretations of works for the sake of having vs threads n all that. going further with diagnosing tropes isn't good for you. breaks immersion and care put into something, disillusions the reality

it can be helpful to see what cultural or idealistic waves surround works in the world of art, to know which ones to surf and which ones to swim under. but in my eyes it'll always be much more healthy, creative and empowering for the individual artist to ride their own wave and not give a **** about what clichés their characters exemplify

i think its fun to look through the historical tropes, because they seem to open you up to this sort of zeitgeist of meaning in our past. stuff like the "serpent of immortality"

it can be helpful to see what cultural or idealistic waves surround works in the world of art, to know which ones to surf and which ones to swim under. but in my eyes it'll always be much more healthy, creative and empowering for the individual artist to ride their own wave and not give a **** about what clichés their characters exemplify
Agree overall, but small correction: TV Tropes isn’t “this is a cliche, so you should always avoid it and it’s bad”. There’s an official page on it about how that’s a bad idea, and a less official page saying the same thing in a funnier way.
Otherwise, good point.

If we're going to relate troping to battleboarding, DEATH BATTLE! has caused many problems for TV Tropes in the past. To note, their discussion thread about the show is over 3000 pages long. TV Tropes has a section called Dethroning Moment of Suck that lets users list their least favorite moments in series. When people started using the section to complain about DB episode results they disagreed with, the staff specifically blacklisted the show from the Dethroning Moments section. Similarly, TV Tropes has a section called Headscratchers that lets users ask questions about series. When people started using the section to question DB episode results and debate over its logic, the staff specifically blacklisted the show from the Headscratchers section. We're lucky they deleted their Complain About Shows You Don't Like section before DB was a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back