• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Turnabout of the Golden Witch: Phoenix Wright vs. Battler Ushiromiya

Jinsye

She/Her
"Where's Erika?" Battler asked as he formed into the room.

"Erika refused to revise her theory, so I've sent her off into the worst possible fragment." explained Bernkastel, "However, I've found a piece that would be much more interesting..."

"Oh? A new guest?" Lambdadelta said. "I wonder what they're like?"

"They say he can solve many hopeless mysteries, he isn't as ruthless as Erika but he's far more entertaining." The witch of miracles said, "I would like you to meet... Phoenix Wright."

A cloud of butterflies fluttered through the air and the form of a man, likely in his mid-thirties wearing a blue suit and porcupine hair appeared before the witches.

"Jeez. Still getting used to a world where you can turn into butterflies at a whim." the blue-suited man said. "So, you must be Battler? You're alot taller than I expected."

"Hey, Wright." The Game Master responded, "Since Erika isn't showing up, does this mean you'll be my opponent?

"I suppose that's what I was brought here for." Phoenix said. "Bernkastel already told me about all of the truths and stuff. So I'm prepared."

"You know..." Lambda pondered, "You share your name with a certain Wizard-Hunting Wright y'know? I'm expecting great things out of you."

"Then I'll be sure to not disappoint." Wright said, "Shall we get started."

"Yes. Let's get started with this game then. Turnabout of the Golden Witch!"

I'm redoing this match now that I actually know Umineko.

Phoenix is invited to play a gameboard against Battler. His goal is to defeat the illusion of the witch and prove every murder can be done with human tricks. Battler's goal is to make it through the night without all murders being solved.

Phoenix has knowledge on all of the truths. The Blue Truth is used for theories on howdunnit. The Red Truth is an absolute truth and unquestionable. He also has knowledge on Knox's laws.

Who wins?

Battler Ushiromiya: 0

Phoenix Wright: 0

PhoenixWrightAA6
No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Because in so doing...we can find our way back to our path. And after that, we can move on from our past mistakes towards a brighter future.

Battler
Ah it's useless, it's all useless!

Basically, a scenario plays out on the island of Rokkenjima.

18 people on the island, each getting killed off one-by-one. Most of the times when they're killed. They will be trapped in a 'closed room'. In that all entrances and exits will be barred somehow from the outside. This is to prove that witches are indeed real and the murder could only have been done with magic.

Phoenix's goal is to prove that the murders could have been done with human hands and not only magic. He needs to prove that all murders are doable via human hands or else he loses. He can send out his theories using the blue truth, which can only be countered by the red truth.

And are these truths set in stone? Sorry this seems to involve a lot of in-verse knowledge.

And they are all possible by human means yes?

Hmmm. This seems difficult. I'm assuming Battler doesn't have to do anything then? Interesting.

And Phoenix has to investigate all of these closed off rooms? Look at the bodies? Or is he not allowed to?

Phoenix can investigate the rooms after the closed rooms are broken. He can also ask Battler to repeat stuff in red although Battler doesn't have to.

However he does not have the Detective's Authority, I considered giving him it but I thought it'd be interesting without it. The only way to confirm a death without the Detective's Authority is for their head to be chopped off or for Battler to say in red that "X is dead."

Hmmmm interesting.

So Battler can openly withhold information. Phoenix doesn't know if a body is dead for certain though? That's a bit off

(half of this match is gonna be asking questions)

It's explained as there's a 99% chance an examination is correct and a 1% chance the examination will fail. So it's not a certainty.

Battler can withhold information, until Phoenix throws a blue truth. If Phoenix throws a blue truth saying "Genji faked his death and killed Eva" or something. Battler needs to respond with a red truth saying "Genji is dead." Though he doesn't need to answer it immediately

Also, Battler cannot lie with the red truth. So if Genji really isn't dead, Battler cannot say "Genji is dead".

What stops trial and error then? Just continuously asking questions? I'm assuming it's that Battler can refuse to answer so...eh. Sounds like Edgeworth-

Sooooo...hmm. Is solving the crimes just as ducking ridiculous as in AA

Nothing. If Phoenix stops thinking and accepts the witch he loses.

However Umineko has some ******* ridiculous mysteries.

Such as all the dead characters are confirmed dead, all the alive characters are confirmed innocent, the murder was a homicide, however the victim saw the culprit face-to-face and was killed with a direct method of murder, not a trap or anything.

Also if Phoenix fails to solve a single mystery he loses the game, and he needs to successfully solve all the murders.

Huh...yeah Phoenix has managed to solve some odd cases but I dunno if he can solve something that is that confusing.

I'd ask you to bring more people in, probably those who played more than the first game

Side-note: Phoenix knows all of this right off the bat

• It is forbidden for the culprit to be anyone not mentioned in the early part of the story.
  • It is forbidden for supernatural agencies to be employed as a detective technique.
  • It is forbidden for hidden passages to exist.
  • It is forbidden for unknown drugs or hard to understand scientific devices to be used.
  • It is forbidden for accident or intuition to be employed as a detective technique.
  • It is forbidden for the detective to be the culprit.
  • It is forbidden for the case to be resolved with clues that are not presented.
  • It is permitted for observers to let their own conclusions and explanations be heard.
  • It is forbidden for a character to disguise themselves as another without any clues

I think Phoenix might have the edge on this, while he's not used to solving outright massacres and focuses on single murders, his only problem in court was being under pressure to solve everything in mere minutes, since he has all day + most of the evidence in his hands and he's used to locked room scenarios it's only a matter of time for him to turn logic in his favor.

Should bring up. In his adventures with Layton, he disproved witches more than once. Even if we don't use that as canon, the fact they creators showed he would have the capacity of intelligence should help a lot. Solving illusions isn't new to him. In the circus class, he actually learned a lot of different secrets to "magic" and illusions. Throw that into the mix with the much large amount of time and evidence he is given, he can put this stuff together.

It'd be funny to see a 1-B character beaten by an almost regular human by sheer intelligence if logic works on his favor. Then again I'm pretty sure Professor Layton could solo the Uminekoverse if he was in the gameboard

The ''detective'' cannot use the Red Truth. Battler tried using the Red Truth to disprove Natsuhi being the culprit and he got shot down my Knox.

Because

1. Robert Knox wrote the rule

2. Blue doesn't count, that's just your theory

Vote for Phoenix. It's not like Umineko mysteries are unsolvable and Phoenix is a Genius and knows +- everything he need. So, if he won't be tricked into the same bullshit duel Erika was dragged into, then he should win 10 time out of 10.

For me this is an easy win for the lawyer. In terms of pure experience Phoenix is ahead of Battler thanks to his lawyer career and much, much, much more cases solved.

Also, as someone said above, Wright already successufly disproven Witches once.

Back