• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

True-Godly Regenerationn and Perfect Immortality

Do all characters with True-Godly Regenerationn also have type 5 immortality? And if so, is the converse also true?

Only tier 0 characters have type 5 immortality, as far as I am aware, whereas certain tier 1-A characters can have True Godly Regenerationn.

So I have a question to what is the difference between true godly Regenerationn and type 5 immortality also I am pretty sure some 1-A have you 5 immortality or am I wrong?

As far as I have understood, a character with true godly Regenerationn can regenerate from anything, with the exception of attacks of a tier High 1-A or 0 character, whereas a level 5 immortality character cannot be damaged or bothered in any way.

Thanks. And about Huesito88's question, I know Yog-Sothoth (in the mythos) has type 5 immortality, despite only being High 1-A, but this is because he would be tier 0 if not for Azathoth (as I understand it). But then this would mean that even Azathoth cannot destroy Yog-Sothoth (the page says that it would likely just rejoin Azathoth if Azathoth awakened).

Well, Azathoth should probably be able to destroy Yog-Sothoth by waking up, so I don't know if type 5 immortality is appropriate.

Antvasima said:
Well, Azathoth should probably be able to destroy Yog-Sothoth by waking up, so I don't know if type 5 immortality is appropriate.
Well, IIRC, all Outer Gods (Lesser OGs, Nameless Mist, Unnamed Darkness) all have Type 5 Immortality listed in their pages.

Hmm. That seems inappropriate. I will ask Azathoth about it.

The Outer Gods have Type 5 for the reason described under Type 5 on the immortality page. Complete and utter inability to ever die. Within the verse, the Outer Gods are not beings that actively do anything; they are instead in a perpetual state of viewing existence as it truly is, which is an entirely unchanging whole. Even Carter meeting with a facet of Yog is an event that occurs alongside everything else, which the Outer Gods perceive simultaneously. Death and destruction are lowly ideas to them, as is the mere thought of something "happening" due to any sort of cause and effect.

Azathoth "waking up" is more metaphorical than anything else. Is Azathoth "asleep"? Yes, in a way, but simultaneously everything is a part of Azathoth. Each cosmos is bound by its own laws, all of which are only a tiny facet of existence. Existence is but the infinitely cut reflection of the Outer Gods/Archetypes, who are all contained within Yog-Sothoth, who is "allied with existence's whole, unbound sweep". All of this is Azathoth's "dream", and hence all of it is Azathoth. Because change does not truly exist from the perception of the Outer Gods, Azathoth will not "wake up", because it both is and isn't asleep. Azathoth's awakening causing there to be "worlds nor gods no more" is symbolic that everything exists because of Azathoth, who is at the root of all, even beings such as Yog-Sothoth.

In short, there is essentially no event that can occur (as everything is in the constant process of occurring) that could "kill" the Outer Gods, which is why they are type 5. Could Azathoth "kill" them? Yes and no. Yes because it is the supreme being, no because it is beyond "acting". All that is, was, and will be exists while Azathoth does nothing, which is all it ever will do, while simultaneously doing "everything".

Apologies if that got too lack-of-individuality-on-a-cosmic-scale levels of meta, but that is how the Outer Gods are sort of defined. Explanation in Lovecraft's own writing can be found under the Yog-Sothoth and Azathoth sections of my Mythos blog, should you wish to look.

Considering that Tier 0's can by definition do whatever the hell they want and laugh at the lack of logic in killing an unkillable being, it seems unnecessary to remove immortality that is to all intents and purposes type 5. If a being is unkillable by literally everything except an omnipotent, that could still be considered "perfect" immortality.

I am still uncertain about rating any non-tier 0 characters as type 5, but okay then.

If we redefine type 5 as something exclusive to Tier 0s, then we can definitely change it, as by definition only Azathoth would fit in the context of the verse. This is merely going by what it is defined as now, as there is effectively not a way to "kill" them. Sort of like how in Demonbane, iirc EGD could not actually "kill" Nyarlathotep for good, despite the tier difference and being able to completely and utterly defeat it constantly without fail.

Well, retconned One-Above-All is still the supreme being of its continuity, so there is nobody there that can kill it.

Back