• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Touhou Physiology Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Touhou VSBW Revisions any% speedrun [Glitchless] [WR]

Felt the need to split this off from a separate revision because that one was getting to be like 20 pages long in Google docs lmao

I mean, it still is because I found like 20 more things worth adding, but that’s not the point.

Celestials

Limited Poison Manipulation and Animal Manipulation, as their bodies are like poison to youkai and they can tame wild animals just by holding out their hand. The poisonous bodies part is also corroborated by the Hermits section in PMiSS. Animal manipulation is also backed up by Tenshi calming down a wolf guarding Kasen’s Senkai just by holding out her hand.

Hermits

Power Bestowal, as youkai who consume the flesh of a hermit may ascend to a high form.

Self-Sustenance (Type 2), as hermits who live past the age of 500 no longer have any need for food.

Purification (Type 1) and Statistics Amplification from being able to maintain their body via natural cures, and making their bodies tougher than steel.

Fairies

Air Manipulation, since they can raise winds.

Passive Plant Manipulation as an extension of their life manipulation. Fairies like Lily White can also make plants bloom on their own.

Magicians

Stealth from being able to steal livestock and children undetected.

Minor Telekinesis from being able to perform sleight of hand magic.

Preparation, as it is said that magicians with sufficient prep time can take on any kind of youkai. This would likely also grant a ‘higher with preparation’ justification for their AP.

Age Manipulation, as they can restore youth with their magic.

Beast Youkai

Enhanced Senses from being able to see in the dark, as well as see and hear from afar.

Natural Weaponry via claws and teeth.

Hourai Immortals

Power Bestowal, since eating the guts of one can make you immortal as well.

Phantoms

Immortality (Type 5) since Mokou compares her state of lacking the concepts of life and death to that of a phantom.

However, this would give a number of characters Immortality Negation (Type 5) due to being able to destroy phantoms. For example, here’s Reimu killing a bunch, Youmu can destroy phantoms, and a major plot point of SWR is characters noticing that Tenshi is destroying phantoms and going ‘hey that’s kinda ****** up’. The list of characters this applies to is as follows:

Reimu, Marisa, Sakuya, Reisen, Sanae, Youmu, & Tenshi. Lemme know if I missed anyone. I almost guarantee I did.

But it doesn’t end there. See, since Reimu is one of the example characters listed, and has fought numerous type 5 immortals without them dying in spite of her immortality negation (such as Mokou, Youmu, Kaguya, and so on), these characters would get Resistance to Immortality Negation (Type 5) from, y’know, not dying.

And that brings us full circle back to regular immortality negation, since we’ve already accepted that Yukari would be able to kill Mokou via immortality negation, so she would get Negation of Resistance to Immortality Negation (Type 5). Touhou hax are basically just a never-ending revolving door of uno reverse cards when you think about it, and we haven’t even hit the worst of it yet.

Youkai

I was gonna add a bunch of immunities since there’s strong evidence for youkai lacking blood and organs, but then a new chapter of Lotus Eaters dropped and that became entirely irrelevant and I had to dedicate a bunch of time to rewriting this. So, thanks for that, ZUN.

Enhanced Senses, as they can see much better than humans in the darkness of night.

Shapeshifting and Intangibility, as SoPM states that when youkai came to Gensokyo, they gained the ability to change their own form. Supporting this is the fact that Reimu states that the form of youkai in Gensokyo is different from that of ‘regular’ youkai, as well as how Wriggle seemingly changed her own form to be closer to that of a human. Forbidden Scrollery also reiterates how youkai can take on human forms at will. As for intangibility, it is repeatedly shown in FS that youkai can transform into a sort of black mist, something supported by Kasen’s arm and how Remilia’s hand turns to this same mist when she burns her hand and subsequently regenerates. Then there’s the fact that, as of recent bullet hell entries in the series, youkai repeatedly make their stage entries by reforming from, you guessed it, black mist.

Incorporeality, for two reasons. First is from Lotus Eaters, where Suika says youkai lack flesh and blood… but only sometimes. This is dependent on human belief, as youkai only really have physical traits when doing so would strengthen belief in them, the most obvious example being Setsubun where beans are used to force out oni. Then we have Eirin stating that youkai are primarily made of spirit, which as has been discussed and accepted previously (by most people, anyway), is just souls, which are obviously incorporeal.

Aura Suppression, since youkai regularly enter the human village whilst disguised or otherwise blending in and aren’t, y’know, immediately soulhaxing everybody in their vicinity. Characters like Aya and Mamizou were also evidently able to pass themselves off as ordinary humans to Kosuzu, who is capable of easily detecting youkai auras. Another example is how Kosuzu was unable to detect Kokoro’s aura during her performance, but after the show she was affected by it. She also wasn’t able to identify Kokoro as a youkai until the very end of the chapter (and beginning of the subsequent chapter). Finally, she failed to identify a number of kappa passing through the human village. There are likely more examples, but these are clear demonstrations of youkai being able to hide their auras, even from people who can see and analyze said aura.

Also, going back to the shapeshifting arguments, youkai being liberated from human imagination and thus being unbound from it should be Resistance to Plot Manipulation, Subjective Reality, Transmutation, & Transformation, as youkai are no longer influenced by the stories and legends they originated from and may choose their own forms as they wish.

Resistance to Corruption & Power Bestowal since youkai are immune to the effects of the Hourai elixir, which also taints the drinker with impurity.

Resistance to Fear Manipulation & Sense Manipulation, as youkai are unaffected by the passive aura of other youkai.

Patchouli implies that youkai are unaffected by heat stroke, so they should also get Resistance to Extreme Heat.

Unconventional Resistance to Necromancy, as youkai do not leave corpses behind when beaten.

Lastly, get rid of the universal range with their mind. While I may have once agreed that their ‘mind’ exists beyond the physical layer of reality, in truth, there is not a single piece of canon evidence to suggest such a thing. Banish it to the deepest depths of hell so it may never surface again.

(Also if it really did exist beyond the physical layer, it’d be multiversal, not universal :v)

Last edited:
Negation of Resistance to Immortality Negation (Type 5).
pq4BRbj.png

Also, going back to the shapeshifting arguments, youkai being liberated from human imagination and thus being unbound from it should be Resistance to Plot Manipulation, Subjective Reality, Transmutation, & Transformation, as youkai are no longer influenced by the stories and legends they originated from and may choose their own forms as they wish.
What, no, this is not resistance to plot, or transformation and transmutation. Subjective Reality is fine, human imagination fall under subjective realoty

Youkai commonly originate from the various myths and legends humans spread about them, and this is what originally determined a youkai's characteristics. They were literally being controlled by stories, which is clear cut plot manip. Gensokyo changed this, and now they can change on their own. It's a similar case for transmutation and transformation, wherein youkai were originally subject to their forms being changed on a whim, but this is no longer the case.

Also just because it's subjective reality doesn't mean it can't be other things, since subjective reality can be a medium through which other effects are accomplished. The other hax just fall under "things that subjective reality is capable of in this scenario".

I don't think plot manipulation could be something, as these stories aren't really on a higher metanarrative level or something like that (for example as with SCP), but instead they are mostly rumors and ideas from humans. Besides that all the stuff is fine.

Btw, what about creating a "Youkai/Phantom/Fairy Physiology" page? I think it could work. And also, speaking about fairies, I would like to give them again type 8 immo and extra stuff, but I will explain it later.

Edit: Well I saw the type 5 stuff and it doesn't really convince me. Mokou is mostly comparing herself with a phantom in the sense of living beyond life, but is not a real direct comparison between each other ("so I may be a phantom, in a certain sense"). This also more important as phantoms themselves aren't beyond the cycle of life, as they are actually manifestations of living beings, while Mokou literally stripped herself from those boundaries after drinking the Hourai Elixir.

Grrrr Fujiwara slow down on these CRTs I wanna make a thread dedicated to hunting down unsourced Touhou stuff on the profiles that I'm pretty sure aren't legit

Anyways, agree with the points Hecatia brought up

I don't think plot manipulation could be something, as these stories aren't really on a higher metanarrative level or something like that (for example as with SCP), but instead they are mostly rumors and ideas from humans. Besides that all the stuff is fine.
Last I checked, it doesn't necessarily need to be? The plot just has to govern reality on some level, and when we see it create tangible effects on reality (ie; altering youkai characteristics), I think we can say that these stories do fit within the confines of plot manip.

Also there are arguments for higher metanarratives within Touhou, but I'm not touching that just yet :v

Btw, what about creating a "Youkai/Phantom/Fairy Physiology" page? I think it could work. And also, speaking about fairies, I would like to give them again type 8 immo and extra stuff, but I will explain it later.
It's definitely on my to-do list, I think maybe once youkai high-godly/AE/some other stuff gets sorted out I can start work on a blog.

Edit: Well I saw the type 5 stuff and it doesn't really convince me. Mokou is mostly comparing herself with a phantom in the sense of living beyond life, but is not a real direct comparison between each other ("so I may be a phantom, in a certain sense"). This also more important as phantoms themselves aren't beyond the cycle of life, as they are actually manifestations of living beings, while Mokou literally stripped herself from those boundaries after drinking the Hourai Elixir.
Actually phantoms being manifestations of living things isn't true; They're just stated to be the embodiments of spirits, which doesn't really hurt type 5. In fact, they can just spawn out of nowhere, no connection to living beings needed. In fact, in SCoOW's description of phantoms, they're described as the manifestations of physical and mental characteristics, not living things, so type 5 is absolutely still possible. I'm kinda curious where you got the idea that they embody living things.

Also, Mokou's comparison is 100% talking about lacking the concept of life and death here, given that that's the only description of her immortality that is referenced in this passage. So if she's not talking about lacking the concepts of life and death... then what is she talking about? The 'certain sense' thing is just because she's comparing herself to phantoms in a single characteristic, that being lacking the concepts of life and death.

Grrrr Fujiwara slow down on these CRTs I wanna make a thread dedicated to hunting down unsourced Touhou stuff on the profiles that I'm pretty sure aren't legit
I've run out of prepared CRTs, so after another thread gets closed I'll be taking a bit of a break until I finish a few WIP threads.

Last edited:
Staying out of the Plot related stuff since I don't dabble with that.
The phantom stuff makes sense I guess since Mokou was talking about lacking Death/Life before directly comparing herself to phantoms. So, it'd be understandable if the thing mentioned is what made the two similar to some degree. So while I'm a bit hesitant, I'm leaning a bit towards agree.

Everything else I fully agree with.

I think there's enough agreeing for this to go through. Should notify staff
The faster this goes through I can make a thread to verify how the stuff on some profiles probably don't exist kek

True unfortunately

That said, you can leave a message on one of their walls to come see who all agrees with this at least.

I am neutral about Immortality Type 5 and its Negation, from what I read. I do think there should be more callback or evidence towards the plot being major aspect of reality for plot manipulation resistance to be solid.I am not sure Castevenia's case would be a good example either since I read that some think some changes are inaccurate including plot manipulation and may make a thread later.

I could unconventional resistance to Necromancy; they are technically made of spirit or souls and some necromancer does manipulate souls as the ability described.

I am fine with everything else.

I'm still disagree with resistance to plot manipulation. Unless human can truly write and control the plot of reality with there story. Just because the verse mention about stories doesn't mean it is automatically plot manipulation. To be fair, not like i downplay the verse, in my opinion more evidences is requires for plot

I am neutral about Immortality Type 5 and its Negation, from what I read. I do think there should be more callback or evidence towards the plot being major aspect of reality for plot manipulation resistance to be solid.I am not sure Castevenia's case would be a good example either since I read that some think some changes are inaccurate including plot manipulation and may make a thread later.
So we will need more input on type 5 it seems. For plot manipulation, is it a requirement for the plot in question to govern all of (or a significant portion) of reality, meaning plots whose effects only exist on a small scale are invalid? If so, I'm fine with removing plot manip resistance, but if more 'localized' plot manipulation is allowed, then I don't see the problem.

also I didn't even notice that Hecatia mentioned the Castlevania upgrades until now :v

I could unconventional resistance to Necromancy; they are technically made of spirit or souls and some necromancer does manipulate souls as the ability described.
This is probably more accurate now that I think about it, so I'm fine with going from immunity to unconventional resistance.

I'm still disagree with resistance to plot manipulation. Unless human can truly write and control the plot of reality with there story. Just because the verse mention about stories doesn't mean it is automatically plot manipulation. To be fair, not like i downplay the verse, in my opinion more evidences is requires for plot
Like I asked Elizhaa, does plot manipulation need to control reality on every level to qualify, or is it allowed to be limited to specific characters or phenomena? Because if the former is the case, then yeah plot manip is invalid here, but if the latter is true, it should stay.

Tbh, I don't see why the latter wouldn't be allowed, given that there is an entire type of conceptual manipulation dedicated to localized concepts. Reality warping-adjacent abilities limited to a smaller scope shouldn't be disallowed on the basis of their scale.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back