• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Top 5 most poorly written characters for every Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure just saying "x character for y tier" should be avoided as it can come across as being kinda dickish to people who like that character or franchise. If you're going to elect a character here, at least explain why.

Ionliosite said:
I still don't see how Goku was any different on Super than how he was on the manga. And yes, he's a flat character, that's kind of the point with him; he's just a simple guy who wants to fight strong people, nothing really complex.
Goku's goal in the Originals series still works because it's consistent with his characterization. it gives us a simple premise of his character and builds upon it with themes of pride, family and Progress through self Improvement Mentally and Physically.

DBS takes Goku's one core characteristic and regresses everything else about his character for the sake of creating artificial stakes and moving the plot.

Yes an nope, I say that Manga Goku is someone who is not truly developed but for the reason of he influences people with his own view of the world and the manga tell us than this is the good one, that one of the reason why Goku is a representation of Hope in the manga, he don't fight because lol it's fun, but because he is literally an embodiment of hope, he fight evil, he is not really developed because his character don't need to, he is right, but he develop the person around him, Manga Goku is thought to represent Hope, unlike DBS stuff)

Sorry, but Goku being a representation of hope is SOOOO wrong I don't even know where to start. Goku isn't meant to be squaky-clean good guy like Superman, he's a selfish man who cares about fighting strong opponents, and will do so with even more passion if his loved one are put in danger.

It think we should avoid "characters from x series" too because it feels like most of, if not every character in it is bad written.

@Ion If you think that I suggest to to reread all DB's manga, because yes, he is a kind of good guy like Superman (I have so many exemple in Saiyan Saga and Frieza Saga), call him selfish is really wrong if you talk about the manga, and "who care only about fighting strong opponent" is absurdly wrong. The one who describe is DBS Goku, not manga, the manga show him as a Hope for everyone not only because he is strong but throughout his personality (just read the cell saga is enough I think).

I am unsure to put all of Marvel Comics's characters from the top to bottom of the list, as I don't know if being a victim of terrible writers do count.

But just imagine everything that could turn a character into a mess; personality, origin, theme, stories, arcs, continuity, lore and etc... Being twisted, changed, altered, rebooted, retconnected, reseted, erased and recreated on a constant, unstopped basis for years, due to the personal favoritism, spite, morality, believes and or agenda from the writer.

Corgi the Gen Z God said:
Considering Literary Theory is one of the things I study, I could Defend Rey Pretty Well, I would not go as far as to say she is a well-written character but she is Objectively based on basic character writing far from being bad, bland and one-note if anything.
But it would be arrogant to imply anyone who disagrees doesn't know what good writing is.

Maverick Zero X said:
For some more elaboration on this...

Infinite is introduced as some mercenary-for-hire that only has regards for himself. Then he meets Shadow, has his entire squad die by his hands, and gets clobbered without even putting up a fight. This seems like the setup for a storyline centered around Infinite pushing himself to get stronger to avenge his friends, right?

Nope, instead he just throws a tantrum over Shadow regarding him as "weak", and then is just GIVEN almighty power. He doesn't regard his fallen comrades, and isn't forced to struggle or push himself. It makes him come off as someone who cried and was rewarded. All and all, we're left with an unlikable pushover whose rise to power relied on a more important villain.

Also Broly (Toei) for 4-A

The Causality said:
he is a kind of good guy like Superman
Sorry, but if you seriously think a classical anti-hero like Goku is a good guy like the ideal paragon Superman is, then I recommend to either re-read the Dragon Ball manga again or read more Supes comics.

Sorry, but if you seriously think a classical anti-hero like Goku is a good guy like the ideal paragon Superman is, then I recommend to either re-read the Dragon Ball manga again or read more Supes comics.

Goku? Antihero?

Anyway I vote

• Goku Super
  • Ragna the Bloodedge
and

Elsa from Frozen

In their respective first tiers.

and now I shall Flip flop out of here before shit hit's the fan lol

Well, I could probably read again some Superman Comic yes and probably highlights more ressemblance to Goku, Again, Call him an "Anti-Hero" is completely missed the whole Goku's character at all the point, his evolution from Kids to Teen and to his DB self throughout all the narrative arc like Saiyan, Frieza Cell and even Buu.

Corgi the Gen Z God said:
Steven Universe. Like the entire cast.
Which one? The playful child who is forced to realize the gravity of an interstellar war after he and his friends nearly die and is then crushed under the harsh reality that the mother he idolized might not have been the good person he thought she was and that his surrogate family only really thought of him as a replacement for her, giving him a crisis of identity and a lack of selfworth, only for him to realize that he is his own person and he can choose his own destiny by the end of the series, therefore allowing him to avoid his mother's mistakes and succeed where she failed?

Or how about the girl that was born as a servant and seen as little more than a tool unhealthily idolizing her master and liberator only to gradually realize how unhealthy it is to blindly idolize one person. The gorl who finally decided to acknowledge her master's mistakes and move on, embracing Rose's message rather than glorifying abd idealizing the person who carried it.

Peridot, Connie, Garnet, Bismuth, Lapis Lazuli, etc. All of these characters have deep and complex motivations. If you're going to dismiss a franchise, at least give us dome reasons and don't just say "the whole cast sucks' like a dick. For someone who had such an indignant reaction to your own franchise getting dismissed out of hand, you're perfectly fine doing that to other people's franchises.

I want someone to explain how Ikki is badly written, since he's easily one of the best written LN protagonist I've read.

May ask why Masada is being mentioned here? I don't know the series, but I know that the majority here don't know it as well, and there's almost zero argument or discussion for it.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not naive enough to think that this kind of idea isn't gonna devolve into a flame war. I mean, I already lost my temper and I just got here. I feel like this should be closed....

It's very difficult to describe Ikki without describing his powers, abilities, or role in the story.

Ikki FRA.

Ionliosite said:
I want someone to explain how Ikki is badly written, since he's easily one of the best written LN protagonist I've read.
He was trolling. That's why he used "owo" I think

Also OP, please remove Black Clover or at least explain why you put them

The Wright Way said:
Yeah, I agree. I'm not naive enough to think that this kind of idea isn't gonna devolve into a flame war. I mean, I already lost my temper and I just got here. I feel like this should be closed....
I'm gonna get a staff to close this then.

Aogiri@ You knew this would happen right?

Moritzva said:
It's very difficult to describe Ikki without describing his powers, abilities, or role in the story.
How does this make him a bad character? The same applies to tons of characters. In fact, it's extremely difficult to describe a character without saying its role on the story.

Ionliosite said:
Moritzva said:
How does this make him a bad character? The same applies to tons of characters. In fact, it's extremely difficult to describe a character without saying its role on the story.
If you take away a guy's powers, abilities, and role, you are left with... personality.

Ikki has no personality.

I can describe plenty of characters, even on this list. Ikki has... nothing. Absolutely nothing. He is, by far, the worst written character on this entire list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back