• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Too Much Circular Reasoning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed a lot of circular reasoning on this site. I assume that is not allowed as a logical argument to prove anything and should be removed from the pages that do it? I haven't touched any page I've notced doing it, however, because I assume there is some kind of reason for the statements to be there. However, the more and more I look through, the less convinced I am that any real evidence exists.

For those who aren't aware, circular reasoning (sometimes called "begging the question") is a kind of logical fallacy that states:

A is true, because B is true. B is true, because A is true.

I'm only going to give one example of it being used on this site below, but it seems to happen a lot.

Examples:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Ragna_the_Bloodedge

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Jin_Kisaragi

The two profiles state that each are Large Planet level because the other is. And even when navigating to the other profiles they link, like Hakumen, Azrael, etc., no evidence is ever actually given for them being this high. It just take the reader on a circular trip with no destination or substantiation.

However, if there is evidence for this particular example, I am unaware of it and would suggest it being listed on all of the relevant pages, or at least that all of them link to the page that displays this level of power. Otherwise, this isn't helping the credibility of the site; it's actually hurting it.

And again, this isn't a singular incident, just one I've noticed a lot of and happened to be on BlazBlue pages when I decided to bring it up. Thank you for the time and would suggest to fellow members to avoid doing this and fix it whenever they see. Again, perhaps I am missing something, but would like to see it stated more clearly for the casual average reader of this site.

Well, in the case of BlazBlue, I think it's that they are scaled off of a feat (I think the Black Beast was stated to be able to destroy several planets), it's just that nobody bothered to change the stat reasoning.

I know like 0.1% of BlazBlue's plot, so I can't fix it.

I am assuming, though, that circular reasoning isn't allowed on this site? I just want to make sure before I change or alter anything that uses it, which I would only do for the seires I know well.

I don't recall the Black Beast statement though. It would have wiped all human life from the planet (based on its very essence as a life wiper), but not completely destroy the planet. I could have missed something with the newer games, though.

Yeah, it's not allowed unless it's something like they managed to harm each other, and one/both of them have the same durability feat.

It's from a newer game, yes. Like I said, I know very little of BlazBlue's plot, so I can't comment much on it.

I only can for the original three. I haven't gotten around to play the newer games yet.

But thanks for the reply and information.

What Cal said. BlazBlue has a good reason to be Large Planet, it just needs to be written on the profiles.

I really only used BlazBlue as the example on hand. I was just asking about circular reasoning and its validity on the website. I am all for BlazBlue being Large Planet if it is. But I got my answer on circular reasoning, so thank you, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back