• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Timeline Destruction Issues & Concerns

And again why? He was starting to but he never made it all the way into their timeline, as he was killed before that he even visibly spilling into the main timeline. Otherwise only way the main timeline would get erased is if it was a chain reaction.
Because if he didn't, the small part of Zamasu that made its way into Goku's timeline wouldve still allowed Zamasu to live.

You don't see the vanishing but you see the box later and the number of time rings match up with it being erased IIRC.

He actualy did reach the present timeline, he just didn't have the time to spread further than what the Z fighters were seeing / reacting to in the present, his face immediatly started getting erased by Zeno right after it fully formed up.

Here : , You clearly see the present guys seeing and reacting to a fully formed 'Infinit Zamasu face', just because he didn't even take over a planete doesn't mean he didn't reach the timeline.

So this would prove my point that Zen'o's destruction was breeching Goku's present timeline to kill off the small bit of Zamasu that made its way there.

So this would prove my point that Zen'o's destruction was breeching Goku's present timeline to kill off the small bit of Zamasu that made its way there.
Technicaly, this was Trunks's time machine's breach, it's the same place the time machine was when going to the future and going back, just like Goku Black went through whatever the time machine leave behind with his time ring when he came to the present.

Yes but thats kind of beside the main point I was making. It would mean that Zen'o destroying Zamasu was also extending into Goku's timeline, via Trunk's time machine breech, so that the small part of Zamasu wouldve been killed too.

Yes but thats kind of beside the main point I was making. It would mean that Zen'o destroying Zamasu was also extending into Goku's timeline, via Trunk's time machine breech, so that the small part of Zamasu wouldve been killed too.
Oh yeah, I agree with that, I missunderstood, my bad.

Your good. Honestly it probably wasnt worth mentioning to begin with so if anything my bad.

Anyways, back to the original topic. How are we going to handle timeline destruction based feats that aren't complete? Zen'o and Ben 10 might be effected for being the examples of this.

Your good. Honestly it probably wasnt worth mentioning to begin with so if anything my bad.

Anyways, back to the original topic. How are we going to handle timeline destruction based feats that aren't complete? Zen'o and Ben 10 might be effected for being the examples of this.
The problem with discussing Ben 10 and Zeno's case at the same time is that one is about multiple timelines while the other is about a single timeline (one that contain 12 different space time and a bunch of magic realms too so it's kinda not a standard timleine either).

Personaly a consider Zeno's feat pretty complete, the time ring even dissapeared IIRC and Goku going back to there just mean the time machine is OP like that or that DB, once again, doesn't follow the usual mechanics attributed to something like that (the fact Goku has no trouble breathing despite the absence of a planete should be enough to tell us it's not supposed a feat that demonstrate any deep mechanics of the setting IMO.)

While Ben 10 is a bit more complicated and kinda contradict itself on that but I don't know as much on that era of Ben 10 so I don't know for sure.

A timeline can't countain multiple space-times within itself since a timeline IS a space-time continuum. The timeline has multiple universes, not timelines, within it.
We count DB timelines has having 12 universe with each their own space-time continuum, we had discussion about this so many time, I think there's a discussion rule against doing it again. That's just how it's accept and arguing about it here would just lead to a derail.

TLDR : it's not that important.

We count DB timelines has having 12 universe with each their own space-time continuum, we had discussion about this so many time, I think there's a discussion rule against doing it again.
Yeah, we have a discussion rule about it both to avoid them being downgraded (to Low 2-C multiverse due to being a single timeline) or upgraded (to 2-C universe due to the different realms within it), but it doesn't change the fact that you're using your terminology wrong, since a timeline (which is exactly what a space-time continuum is) has multiple others within it isn't worded correctly.

Yeah, we have a discussion rule about it both to avoid them being downgraded (to Low 2-C multiverse due to being a single timeline) or upgraded (to 2-C universe due to the different realms within it), but it doesn't change the fact that you're using your terminology wrong, since a timeline (which is exactly what a space-time continuum is) has multiple others within it isn't worded correctly.
The 2-C rule is for another reason, we totaly consider a full timeline to be 2-C, AKA multiple space-time, that's why Zeno is 2-C.

But once again, it's a derail and not the suvbject of this thread.

Timeline is literaly the word they use in the show and how we always refered to it on this site..

Timeline is literaly the word they use in the show and how we always refered to it on this site..
I know that's the word they use in the series, but that doesn't stop "the timeline has multiple space-times", which is effectively saying "the timeline has multiple timelines", from being worded wrong. But you're right this is technically more semantics than anything relevant.

I think that's just treated as time hax + EE, if u are only able to erase like "xyz years/months" etc.

Some characters can just erase months/years etc. And is treated as time hax + EE

I am still wondering how we went from:

"if u can erase a bit of time years/months/weeks how do we treat that?"

To

"DBS has multiple timelines inside 1 timeline" and so on
Because the latter was Dragomer's argument for Zen O's feat being complete timeline destruction rather than partial as the first case implies.

Because the latter was Dragomer's argument for Zen O's feat being complete timeline destruction rather than partial as the first case implies.
That's not really what I said, I said being a weird kind of timeline make discussing it at the same time as the Ben 10 case make it harder to talk about, because one is multiple timeline and the other is a weird timeline that's multiple space-time so our conclusion for one case can be different from our conclusion for the other case.

My argument for Zeno's destruction being complete is that we see the timeline is completly erased and the time ring that represent the timeline and allow you time travel in it got erased too so it really was a total destruction.

That's the damm point, you can't use time travel to travel from 2 separated timelines that doesn't make any sense
The time travel is what create timelines in dragon ball to begin with. traveling between timeline IS what we call 'time travel' in dragon ball.

That's the damm point, you can't use time travel to travel from 2 separated timelines that doesn't make any sense
That's directly explained how Trunks' time machine works. He literally can't go into his own timelines past, it can only go to alternate ones like the present one and the one they're in now.

I would also like to add another case to this for comparison. IIRC Anti-Monitor in DC destroys infinite universes but the pasts of those universes (as they originally were, so unretconned) are still accessible by speedsters and Green Lanterns. Indicating only the present and future were destroyed during COIE.

A timeline can't countain multiple space-times within itself since a timeline IS a space-time continuum.
A timeline can definitely contain smaller space-times within itself. We note it pretty clearly on Zeno's profile.

Note: We consider the universes in Dragon Ball alternate time-spaces relative to each other, hence why Zen'ō is rated as 2-C, despite the events in the Goku Black Saga showing parallel timelines encompassing the whole of the multiverse.

The reason for this is that Universe 7 by itself has already been shown to contain parallel space-time continuums within its globe, such as the Room of Spirit and Time, which is still affected by time travel; which proves that the new timelines can encompass other space-times as well, and thus the events in the Future Trunks Saga don't prove anything in the way of the universes being physically connected.

I would chalk it up to a plot hole/WIS. Mainly because we actually see the time ring disappearing. Indicating that the timeline is actually gone

ODeVX81.png

Each time ring represents a timeline
The timeline being gone is a given, the question was whether it’s gone in it’s entirety and I don’t think the time ring disappearing gives the answer to that.

I would also like to add another case to this for comparison. IIRC Anti-Monitor in DC destroys infinite universes but the pasts of those universes (as they originally were, so unretconned) are still accessible by speedsters and Green Lanterns. Indicating only the present and future were destroyed during COIE.
They are just contradictions or retcons from the DC comics, although a flash story (wally) uses Hypertime to get to the Coie, but in the original comic it is stated that antimatter was affected at all times, as shown by dialogue from Harbinger where he says all times were affected

@Oliver both Hypertime and the Flash story debuted in 1999 and it wasn’t really used for anything until way later so I am very skeptical on Wally using it to time travel to COIE (it might not even be that easy to even enter Hypertime) and Green Lanterns definitely didn’t use Hypertime, you could argue there are more temporal dimensions at work here potentially (without involving Hypertime) but you could also make that argument in Ben 10.

So what I’m basically getting from a lot of people in this thread is that these instances of time travel to the past are for plot reasons or just retcons and inconsistencies and that this is quite a common trope in fiction. Thus I think DC, DB and Ben 10 can keep their multiversal feats or else we’d be downgrading quite clear cut multiversal feats based on authors doing something weird, it isn’t exactly a satisfying explanation but it is what it is. We should probably write this down somewhere on a page btw.

A timeline can definitely contain smaller space-times within itself. We note it pretty clearly on Zeno's profile.

Note: We consider the universes in Dragon Ball alternate time-spaces relative to each other, hence why Zen'ō is rated as 2-C, despite the events in the Goku Black Saga showing parallel timelines encompassing the whole of the multiverse.

The reason for this is that Universe 7 by itself has already been shown to contain parallel space-time continuums within its globe, such as the Room of Spirit and Time, which is still affected by time travel; which proves that the new timelines can encompass other space-times as well, and thus the events in the Future Trunks Saga don't prove anything in the way of the universes being physically connected.
Being honest
I’m not sure how smaller scale space-times being inside the universes are supposed to prove anything in regards to this, especially when they’re small.

When an universe is destroyed, in quality of being a Low 2-C or 2-C, it rarely erase events through the time line. Simply erasing events through the time but without quite destroying the universe (what should also include adjacent planes) is simply Time Manipulation, not AP related.

That is rarely brought up, even when time travel is a thing in the verse. Either way, alteration of the timestream isn't something that can be done by AP, character should have a power that allows it to do so (although, I always considered tier 2 simply being High 3-A, 3-A or even 3-B + time manipulation + range, where the effects of the TM may vary).

That is very wrong, if you destroy an entire timeline, you are destroying the universe at every instance of time, so you are causing a High 3-A/3-A amount of destruction times an immesurable amount of times

Destroying only like 20ish years would definitelly not be Low 2-C, it would be more be limited 4-D like what High 3-A was way back when
What about destroying the present and the future as a consequence due to causality, thus would technically also be an immeasurable amount of times?

well, destroying the present only destroyes the present, as scientifically speaking only the present exists at any point in time, as the past is what was and the future is what will be

though either way that would be because of a chain reaction, so the character's AP wouldn't scale

Back