• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Time to play with ghosts!

Well my first thread, so here we go…

In Chozenshuu 4 (page 155) Gotenks' attack is described as releasing ectoplasmic energy ( エクトプラズム状の気) through his mouth.

In the Super Exciting Guide, the attack it’s defined as a spirits ghosts, it’s also said this in Daizenshuu 4:

And Daizenshuu 2:

So we can determine that the ghosts attack is spiritual and ectoplasmic, so my proposal with this thread is to give Gotenks and Buutenks ectoplasm manipulation, and reinforce that Ki has non-physical interaction properties, since Buu and Vegetto could interact with these spirit beings made of ectoplasm.

Adding to the fact that Gohan can do the same in the anime:

Agreement: @LephyrTheRevanchist

Neutral:

Disagreement:

Last edited:

状 (jō) = "form; shape; appearance"

Gotenks's Ki imitates the shape or appearance of ectoplasm (i.e., the wispy form of a ghost), but is not described as being ectoplasmic.

Translating 気 (ki) as "spirit" instead of "Ki" in order to claim the term "spirit ghosts" is either completely disingenuous or completely ignorant. Even in Super, the word 気 is never used to describe the spirit (e.g., Spirit Control); スピリット (suppiritto) is.

ような (you na) = "like; similar to" or "feels like; feels similar to; feels as if"

オバケのようなエネルギー体
"ghost-like body of energy"

Gotenks's Ki imitates the shape or appearance of ectoplasm (i.e., the wispy form of a ghost), but is not described as being ectoplasmic.

Translating 気 (ki) as "spirit" instead of "Ki" in order to claim the term "spirit ghosts" is either completely disingenuous or completely ignorant. Even in Super, the word 気 is never used to describe the spirit (e.g., Spirit Control); スピリット (suppiritto) is.

ような (you na) = "like; similar to" or "feels like; feels similar to; feels as if"

オバケのようなエネルギー体
Translate the kanji together; the slightest separation of them changes the entire meaning of the sentence.

オバケのようなエネルギー体
Please stop trying to be a Japanese translator, dude….
Translate the kanji together; the slightest separation of them changes the entire meaning of the sentence.
Exactly.

オバケのようなエネルギー体
Null, i ask you to stop trying to translate something, you said yourself that you don't know Japanese and separating the "kanji" is not correct.

Translating the kanji together only adds together their individual meanings?
  • エクトプラズム状の気 = "energy [in the form/in the shape] of ectoplasm"
  • 気のお化け and 気のオバケ = "ghost made out of Ki" or "Ki ghost"
  • オバケのようなエネルギー体 = "ghost-like body of energy"
Do you guys know what they even mean?
separating the "kajin" is not correct.
Kanji.

Translating the kanji together only adds together their individual meanings?
  • エクトプラズム状の気 = "energy [in the form/in the shape] of ectoplasm"
  • 気のお化け and 気のオバケ = "ghost made out of Ki" or "Ki ghost"
  • オバケのようなエネルギー体 = "ghost-like body of energy"
Do you guys know what they even mean?

Kanji
I translated the kanji in the first sentence separately and it gave me this answer
"workman
nine
to
P
La
Z
Mu
condition
of
air"
Clear example of why translating them separately is wrong, seeing that none of us are expert translators, I suggest waiting for information from people who are.

Ah, you're correct; using "kanji" to describe entire words and sentences is erroneous, like trying to tell a non-English speaker that they should translate the individual letters of the alphabet in order to decipher its correct meaning of a word.

Translating the [words the kanji make up] together only adds together their individual meanings.*

Back