• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Time Stop Deletion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megaraptor149

He/Him
I think Time Stop should be removed, basically Time Stop itself is a variation of using Time Manipulation. At least we already there an explanation of "stopping time" on the Time Manipulation profile.

Actually, this is the same as the previous Mind Reading profile which was deleted because it is a variation of using Telepathy or Reality Manipulation which is also a variation of Reality Warping.

Last edited:
I mean, magma manip is basically fire and earth manip

Also absolute zero and ice manip
And fear manip and emphatic manip
Thing is, two examples do things beyond what their base power is capable of doing.

Like Absolute Zero is distinct from Ice Manipulation, because Absolute Zero gives abilities that normal ice Manip doesn't. Same thing with Magma Manipulation.

I mean, I wouldn't really care if Fear Manip was removed either tbh. Empathetic Manipulation already specifically includes it on its page.

I think before considering the removal of Time Stop, the Time Manipulation page needs to be expanded upon. There are too many characters in fiction that can simply stop time but their manipulation of Time "stops" there.

If handled poorly, a lot of profiles would inaccuratly be listed with "Time Manipulation" when all they can do is Stop Time.

And what about the characters that can resist "Time Stop" but not "Time Manipulation"? Would they only be listed as resisting Time Manipulation, when, say, a character could move through a Time Stop cause of speed?

I think before considering the removal of Time Stop, the Time Manipulation page needs to be expanded upon. There are too many characters in fiction that can simply stop time but their manipulation of Time "stops" there.

If handled poorly, a lot of profiles would inaccuratly be listed with "Time Manipulation" when all they can do is Stop Time.

And what about the characters that can resist "Time Stop" but not "Time Manipulation"? Would they only be listed as resisting Time Manipulation, when, say, a character could move through a Time Stop cause of speed?
I mean, I'm ambivalent towards the page but this doesn't sound like good reasoning for having it stay. All that means is that they have a specific utilization of Time Manipulation, which isn't exactly an issue since most characters can't use the full breadth and depth of what their powers could grant them.

As for resistance, one could just specify what sub-ability or aspect is resisted if only that aspect/sub-ability is resisted.

Not because of that, there is already an explanation of stopping time in page time manipulation, then things like that are no longer needed to exist.

Time Manipulation Page isnt specific enough, in my opinion if the Time Stop Page is deleted, the Time Manipulation page should get changed too and get expanded, for example adding note or limitation(?)

Time Manipulation Page isnt specific enough, in my opinion if the Time Stop Page is deleted, the Time Manipulation page should get changed too and get expanded, for example adding note or limitation(?)
well, it's more or less like that, adding a few explanations a little or if necessary a lot like users starting from possible uses, variants, subtypes or limitations etc on a separate page when it's really needed indeed

Time Stop is distinct enough and used by enough characters that I think it should remain.
But we have similar cases sub-powers being distinct and popular abilities being included within other pages, such as Mind Control being under Mind Manipulation and Mind Reading under Telepathy.

I'm overall neutral on the matter, but the op makes sense.

But we have similar cases sub-powers being distinct and popular abilities being included within other pages, such as Mind Control being under Mind Manipulation and Mind Reading under Telepathy.

If they're distinct enough, then they may warrant being separated. I'd say it's a case-by-case scenario.

I know, but as of now we have inconsistent policies.

On one side, we allow Petrification and Time Stop because they're popular subpowers, but at the same time, we merge equally popular abilities for the sake of not having too many subpages, and let them be covered by broader ones.
We've done something similar with Hellfire and Chain Manip, which used to have their own page but have been deleted for the same reasons.

The pages should just specificity what type of time manip they resist

I personally agree with Damage and Yuri, but if the Time Stop page is deleted, we should turn it into a redirect link to Time Manipulation.

Also, since this is a policy revision thread, I will move it to our staff forum.

If a character only resists time stop list it "Limited Resistance to Time Manipulation" or "Resistance to Time Manipulation|Time Stop", it's a basic concept. Use words, not shorthands.

Elemental Manipulation IS too broad (you're literally equating multiple unrelated phenomenon togather because semantics) and you're slippery-sloping here, most people can understand why Fire Manipulation is transparently different from Earth Manipulation, Time Stop is ONE USE of Time Manipulation, a term that is specific.

Honestly the crux of the matter really is, do we find this irrelevant enough to do mass edits across the wiki, which I personally disagree with, it is way too much work for something that's a minor annoyance at best.

What if you just set up a redirect? Like remove the page but you don't have to edit every page. When they click on the link, it will be redirected to time manip instead of time stop

No offense, but I find it useless.....

Although, it would couse problems if we just put X character can resist Time manipulation, becouse the word is very broad, and most times the resistance comes from a specific application of time manip, let's say Time stop.

We can't just say that someone can resist Time manipulation, when it has only shown to resist only one ability from that subset.

That would be just making things uselessly confusing.

What if you just set up a redirect? Like remove the page but you don't have to edit every page. When they click on the link, it will be redirected to time manip instead of time stop
Meh that's kinda fugly, there are pages which have both Time Manip and Time Stop right next to each pther, and for users not clued in it'll be confusing as hell.

2500 redirects isn't a good look to begin with :v

No offense, but I find it useless.....

Although, it would couse problems if we just put X character can resist Time manipulation, becouse the word is very broad, and most times the resistance comes from a specific application of time manip, let's say Time stop.

We can't just say that someone can resist Time manipulation, when it has only shown to resist only one ability from that subset.

That would be just making things uselessly confusing.
Again that's just a limited resist and limited use. 's not tough to fathom that on a file.

I see no need to remove it. Time Stop in and out of itself is a unique enough sub-power of Time Manip, much like how Earth Manip is a sub-tier of Elemental Manip.

Time Manip can involve various types, like altering time, erasing parts of it or adding to it, travelling back through it or into the future, slowing it down etc.

Honestly the crux of the matter really is, do we find this irrelevant enough to do mass edits across the wiki, which I personally disagree with, it is way too much work for something that's a minor annoyance at best.
If there's around 2500 users of Time Stop specifically, then it seems like a big enough ability to keep on its own.
I see no need to remove it. Time Stop in and out of itself is a unique enough sub-power of Time Manip, much like how Earth Manip is a sub-tier of Elemental Manip.

Time Manip can involve various types, like altering time, erasing parts of it or adding to it, travelling back through it or into the future, slowing it down etc.
Agreed.

Should we close this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back