• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The use of inter-wiki links

I am curious to know if VS has a policy for or against linking pages to other wikis?

To be more accurate, I want to know if Categories for franchises can be linked to wikis that are dedicated to that franchise? (ex: Star Wars to Wookeepedia, InuYasha to the InuYasha Wiki, etc...)

I am an admin on another wiki and I have been playing with the idea of linking your category about the franchise back to ours. Trolling through your policies and finding null, I figured that I should assay and leave the matter with the staff for discussion. There may be multiple uses favoring linking but my number one thought is that it would connect people who know little about a franchise to more information, or cross-reference the material.

Ant should probably take a look at this tbh. I believe we're supposed to put links to verse-specific wikis on the verse page itself but im not sure about other wikis linking to us...

Well, we commonly tend to provide a link to the main related wiki at the top of the verse pages, but we generally try to avoid linking to outside wikis within the profiles themselves. Some members keep linking to the superpower/power listing wiki, but we technically tend to frown upon it.

We probably should develop a rule for this however. I will move this thread to the staff board, and highlight it, to see what the others think.

I don't see any issue with linking to Narutoforums Blog Posts. It's actually proper to link to a person's original calculation rather than just a repost.

Well, we currently allow linking to accepted Narutoforums calculations, and to other wikis at the top of the verse pages, but I still think that we should be as self-reliant as possible, as we have some control of that the material posted here confirms to our standards, but not that within other wikis.

I don't see a problem if we add a link in our main franchise pages to their respective wikias, could help people inform themselves more on the verse.

If there's nothing wrong with the link in question (it's not NSFW, moon runes, virus-ridden, full of ads, takes a crapton to load and yes, I'm referring to manga links, etc.), then I don't think there's a problem with it.

It certainly beats filling up a pokemon's page with its list of learnable skills by level up... or something.

ScarletFirefly said:
I don't see a problem if we add a link in our main franchise pages to their respective wikias, could help people inform themselves more on the verse.
We do allow linking to the main wikis within the verse pages, and have put it into practice to a degree.

While we are on the topic, I have also thought about linking the Discussion Thread of the franchise to it's main page. That way people can find it more easily and hopefully get talking more.

Problem is, the Discussion Threads tend to get closed for too many replies, so naturally the link to the main page should be updated, or the one closing the original thread can link the new one as a last reply.

Or the OP of a discussion thread can add the relevant character/verse/topic tag on said thread, so it can be seen on the bottom of the page. This is easier than constantly replacing the linked thread.

@Gemmy

I don't think that would work well. When VS threads are created they usually have the verse tag in them as well, so finding the discussion threads can prove difficult, especially since the search function bugs out and you can't go past the first page.

I do not think that we should link to the discussion threads within the verse pagess themselves. Doing the reverse by adding a verse page topic/tag at the bottom of the threads is fine however.

Also, that is not what this discussion is supposed to be about.

I have talked with the Fandom staff about the bug. They have reported it to their technical team.

What exactly is the issue here? Like if I linked to the Sonic News Network? If I got my information there I am supposed to link it back.

Any content used under an CC-BY-SA license is permitted to use as long as it is linked back to the original source.

Or...is this about linking to another vs-related wiki or forum? In that case it should be okay if the information is free of irrational bias, is sound/logical, and is in uniform with our system.

Unless this is about something else entirely?

Well, Adginer seems to simply wonder if we allow any linking to other wikis at all (which we do... and he/she should also feel free to reply here, if he/she wishes), whereas I just thought that it might be a good idea to get input on where exactly we should draw the line, and if we should develop a regulation for this. For example, linking to the Superpower wiki in the Powers & Abilities sections is something that we have prefered to avoid.

Kk. And I agree we should avoid and discourage linking to Powerlisting. They have a differently style of thinking than us.

However, should we write some kind of editing rule regarding this issue?

That seems best. Something along the lines of:

"When listing powers and abilities, kindly use powers only listed on this wiki and not link to the Superpower Wiki, as their method of classifying powers is much different from our standards."

I will have to rewrite the sentence somewhat, but think that it is a good suggestion.

Should we write any other regulation about linking to other wikis?

Basically what I said above. As long as the information on the wiki is reliable, free of any irrational bias, and suits our system, it shouldn't be an issue.

Well, other than ACF, Joke Battles, and FC/OC, which are affiliated with us, I prefer not to give free advertisement to our competitors among character statistics wikis.

I agree, I meant wikis like Narutopedia, Wookipedia, One Piece Wiki etc. Wikis that may have scans or links to a databook page or an interview we could use.

Hop tends to not use links for other wikis unless mandatory. For instance the Titanfall and Metro 2033 profiles that Hop made.

Hop only linked his wiki on his user page because his username and YouTube channel are related, and Hop doesn't other users to mistake this account for a meme/lore page. Hop has the warning posted on his page.

Narutoforums should definitely be allowed to be linked, there are many skilled people who do calcs there who do not participate in this site.

Linking to Narutoforums shouldn't even be a question IMO.

We already do link to the Narutoforums calculations a lot, so this is obviously allowed.

Perhaps something like the following might be an appropriate regulation?

"Do not link to the Superpower Wiki in the Powers & Abilities sections, as their method of classifying powers is very different from our own standards. Only link to powers listed within this wiki. Linking to the main wiki for a certain franchise at the top of verse pages is allowed, in order to provide further information, as is linking to accepted Narutoforums calculations."

So, what do the rest of you think about my draft for a regulation? I am open for improvements of the text.

What I want to do is add a [[w:c:idmanhwa]] script onto the Category:Id The Greatest Fusion Fantasy page, linking to the Id Wiki. I looked around some to see if other pages had what I had in mind. I did not find any. Nor in your rules. From your comments I see that you put links in the verse page (not sure if Id TGFF has any). I did not want to make the change without knowing if it was against policy just to have it deleted as vandalism.

As a side note, if you want, I could make up the (category) page to reflect my idea as a visual example.

Back