• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The pages for AKIRA are outdated as hell!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For one example, we don't have any profiles for Akira, Masaru, Lady Miyako, Kei, Takeshi, Kiyoko, Chiyoko, Colonel Shikishima, and SOL. And by our standards of dodging lasers, neither SOL or the gun Kaneda used would count as lasers.

The profiles are put into the outdated god tier, high tier, mid tier, low tier categorization

We never see the beam from SOL be refracted or relfected from anything, no one explicitly says the beam is made of photons, and nothing in AKIRA explicitly says that it's lightspeed; the characters just say it's a large laser; that's one criteria

The same could be said for the laser Kaneda uses, although I think it did reflect off of a metal surface (it's been years since I read AKIRA btw); but still it's ony two criteria

Last edited:
Miyoko and Takashi specifically select a beam of light as their weapon of choice because of its speed, and the lasers diffuse in a realistic manner upon impact. Along with that, it is established that the HLR-12X is a battery-powered laser rifle developed by a post-WWIII, cyberpunk military in 2030. The concept of a laser weapon itself is not foreign—in fact, in the late-1990's to early-2000's, the United States and Israel were developing a laser weapon; although, they deemed the weapon to be too cumbersome for practical use and cancelled the project. However, in recent years, China has apparently developed their own compact laser rifle. So, the "has its origin at a realistic source of light" is pretty much covered as well.

That's three criteria that the HLR-12X meets, and if you interpret Takashi's comment about needing a fast weapon as meaning the "beam of light" moves at the speed of light, then all but one criteria would be met by these lasers. It also travels in a straight line and at the same speed consistently, and is never shown being physically interacted with by other humans—the only person to actually touch the lasers are Tetsuo after his mutation, but again: Tetsuo after his mutation.

Also, before you argue that the lasers explode, so they cannot be real lasers, the only time the laser explodes is when Kaneda flips a switch on the gun, changing its firing mode; he can swap between the laser seen throughout the story and a massive energy cannon—they are not one and the same.

Bump.

Also, if what I said was right, then I need to go put that into a blog, because the link on the page currently isn't enough to justify lightspeed.

• The beam refracts in a new material, such as a liquid or...
  • The beam diffuses in a reasonably realistic way or reflects off a material that it can be expected to, such as a non-magical mirror.
  • The beam is called lightspeed by reliable sources.
  • It is stated to be composed/consisting of photons or light itself, again by a reliable source.
  • It has its origin at a realistic source of light, such as a camera.

Most lasers in fiction are not real or provable as real. Often they are supernatural in nature and do not function anywhere close to how real light should. Therefore, lasers/light beams are only accepted as real if they meet, at a minimum, a few of these criteria

I think I should bring up this, you don't need to dodge a laser to be Relativistic, Beta rays of course are 98% SoL and they are not composed of photons

btw is this for both anime and manga? If so we should remove Tetsuo's travel feat to the moon. Nothing disproves it was teleportation

Even if the SOL was lightspeed, it wouldn't mean much in terms of calculating speed, considering it fires from hundreds of miles in the sky.

I suppose that it is probably fine to apply, yes.

Thank you. Should I close this thread then?

i think tetsuo needs a new key, one to cover his power during the 1st 2nd and 4th volumes. in volume 5 he comes to an understanding of his power, and gains the ability to perform the moon crater feat. this is completely different than the other volumes and he clearly has a distinct large power jump. at most during the early volumes he was large building-mulit city block level. also...nice to see akira getting a few threads, i wouldn't mind helping to create pages myself.

so about creating profiles.....how should we scale masaru or takakshi? also, why do we assume that tetsuo grew to small town level right after being frankly quite weak? the feats used to demonstrate small town level power look more large buidling level to me. edit: sorry didn't see the calcs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back