• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The limits of math and physics in the context of Cthulhu

So, I have been doing some reading trying to quantify a statement made about the Cthulhu Mythos, and I've grown a bit...confused. I am looking for some help.

So, the statement is from "The Whisperer in Darkness:"

"The blasphemies which appeared on earth, it was hinted, came from the dark planet Yuggoth, at the rim of the solar system; but this was itself merely the populous outpost of a frightful interstellar race whose ultimate source must lie far outside even the Einsteinian space-time continuum or greatest known cosmos."

So, next in my research I went to learn what Einsteinian physics is, and simply put it's the modern interpretation of physics and includes grand notions such as 1+1=1, 1+1=0, and all of quantum physics. So, I started researching quantum physics and came across this paper when I was trying to learn about the interaction/use of cardinal numbers in quantum physics. In said article is this paragraph, which is the main source of my current...difficulties:

"Notice that in Q the standard notion of identity is not defined for some entities (definition 7.1v). Now, the identity concept is essential to define many of the usual set theoretic concepts of standard mathematics, such as well order, the ordinal attributed to a well ordered set, and the cardinal of a collection. Since identity is to be senseless for some items in Q, how can we employ these notions? One alternative would be to look for different formulations employing methods that do not rely on identity. Another possibility would be to introduce these concepts as primitive and give adequate postulates for them. Concerning the notion of cardinal, there are interesting issues we should acknowledge. First of all, in Q, there cannot be well-orders on quasi-sets of indistinguishable m-atoms. Really, a well-order would imply, for example, that there is a least element relative to this well order, a notion which could only be formulated if identity was defined for m-atoms, for this element would be different from any other element in the quasi-set. Second, the usual claim that aggregates of quantum entities can have a cardinal but not an ordinal demands a distinction between the notions of ordinal and of cardinal of a quasi-set; this distinction is made in Q by the introduction of cardinals as a primitive notion, called quasi-cardinals." -Page 25

So...does this mean quantum physics includes and "exceeds" all cardinal numbers/sets as "primitive" or is it just saying they fail to explain the things quantum physics deals with? More to the point, does this mean the Mythos' tiering should be based on (parts of it) exceeding Einsteinian physics to such a high degree (being how lowly Mi-Go are in the grand schemes of his work)? I would like some help sorting through this, as I will admit my understanding of many of these concepts is a bit...limited. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I was asking what the relationship between cardinals and quantum mechanics is because I found that paper that I quoted from confused me. The motive driving the question was that the Mi-Go, of the Cthulhu Mythos, are described as being beyond "Einsteinian Physics," which includes quantum mechanics under that umbrella.

Einsteinian physics are as a tl;dr...well, how einstien views the world on the level of quantum mechanics. Which.....well he objected to in the first place.

I'll make a brief assumption and say that an Einsteinian space-time continuum is how he thinks the universe was constructed which relates to this and this.
To sum my position, I don't think this excerpt was referring to anything other than 4 dimensional space-time. But to answer your question of quantum physics relation to cardinal numbers, there's a few things that correlate.

For example, Hilbert space can extend beyond a 3-D Euclidean Plane, which uses the basis of Real Coordinate space (Cartesian coordinates) which in turn use real numbers to define higher levels of existence. So with quantum physics (and an interpretation of Hypervolume) could possibly reach Aleph 1?

Well, I still don't know what Aleph 1 really means in terms of powerscaling...

As I understand it, quantum physics is based on Einstein's work, or at least the page I found on Einsteinian physics said that 'all' physics is based on Einsteinian ideas. Whether or not that's relevant to this excerpt is certainly debatable, though I don't think Einstein's rejection of Quantum Physics limits what Einsteinian Physics should entail, as I think that his work being used to help establish quantum theory is undeniable.

Is there a specific page or maybe a Youtube video that explains how cardinal and aleph numbers relate to power-scaling, and how to distinguish between the different levels of Tier 0 (baseline, above baseline, infinitely above baseline, etc)? I've read the page on the main wiki and I think I understand some/most of it, but it doesn't explain the levels of Tier 0 at all (that I can find), and I want to have a very solid idea for the future Cthulhu Mythos CRT I want to do/be a part of.

Thank you for the response. I appreciate the input.

Well, I still don't know what Aleph 1 really means in terms of powerscaling...
Low 1-A ☺️
As I understand it, quantum physics is based on Einstein's work, or at least the page I found on Einsteinian physics said that 'all' physics is based on Einsteinian ideas. Whether or not that's relevant to this excerpt is certainly debatable, though I don't think Einstein's rejection of Quantum Physics limits what Einsteinian Physics should entail, as I think that his work being used to help establish quantum theory is undeniable.
Well the ultimate void already verbatim states that entities like the Outer Gods and Yog are beyond physics and mathematics (of course the latter is more like a rat argument, while the former i think fits this topic quite well.)
So if each multiverse of an infinite variation is already established under different laws and interpretations, his rejection shouldn't matter here, was just referring to the excerpt in question since it states Eintien's space-time continuum (like Minkowski space. a space that uses his theory of relativity as a major foundation for each other) and doesn't necessarily say all of the physics it uses.

While I agree that his work influenced other physicist to make the quantum theory, he himself had no big role, since a majority of past physicist (Heisenberg, Erwin Schrödinger, and Paul Dirac) thought his notion of the universe was too limited and didn't focus on the small scales of the universe enough.

Is there a specific page or maybe a Youtube video that explains how cardinal and aleph numbers relate to power-scaling, and how to distinguish between the different levels of Tier 0 (baseline, above baseline, infinitely above baseline, etc)? I've read the page on the main wiki and I think I understand some/most of it, but it doesn't explain the levels of Tier 0 at all (that I can find), and I want to have a very solid idea for the future Cthulhu Mythos CRT I want to do/be a part of.
Well I think the explanation page is quite explicit for Alephs but I suppose I can help a bit before I go to sleep. (By the way not a lot of people really uses mathematics for scaling outside of vsbw, the replacement would be discordian logic.)

Using this as reference
Basically anything that isn't a set of all real numbers falls under aleph null, which can reach high 1-B
A set of all real numbers is aleph 1. Usually denoted as 2^infinity under the Continuum hypothesis. Also known as the first uncountable cardinal.
Above that would be N2 (Alpeh 2) etc etc, or more simply the Aleph hierarchy Na.

Then we reach the upper part of cantor's attic where we use inaccessible (large) cardinals for High 1-A and tier 0, the latter starts at mahlo cardinals.

(Edit: You're welcome for the contribution by the way :))

Back