• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Great Sisyphean Quest to Downgrade God of War ⌈Part 8⌋

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get ready to see this gif a lot.
giphy.gif

Deagon commandeered the title of these revisions, so this is now the Sisyphean quest to downgrade God of War. Sorry, Odysseus.

Biological Manipulation [Hades]

He currently has this due to resurrecting a man who was recently cut in half. This is just resurrection - a thing he already has on his profile for this exact reason - and the fact that his two halves are made whole again can be attributed to the innate healing properties of resurrection and not some unrelated ability to freely alter one's biology.

Resistance to "Everything Else Hades Has" [Kratos' God Key]

In God of War 3, Hades attempts to rip out Kratos' soul. Here's how Kratos' page explains this event:
Typical soul stuff, with the minor issue that this feat doesn't happen "repeatedly"; It happens exactly once in a cutscene with a QTE. That's a minor nitpick, though, because what I'm really interested in is the quote "also resisting all of his other abilities as well". This is odd, because it's looking at Hades using one (1) ability, and concluding that Kratos must resist every ability he has as an extension of that. Hades doesn't try to kill him with fire, or drain his lifeforce, or curse him with an eternal slumber, or anything besides the single ability we see on screen (the soul absorption). He doesn't even try to manipulate Kratos' biology by bringing him back to life. Needless to say, this is a massive leap in logic with 0 factual basis.

Abstract Existence [Type 2] [Kratos’ God Key]

Kratos has this because he contained hope inside of himself after the events of God of War 1, but it lay dormant within him until God of War 3 (where the whole “Power of Hope” thing comes into play). That’s it. Kratos has an abstraction inside of himself, so he must also embody that abstraction in a way that makes him immortal, which is never confirmed to be the case. While we do see that hope brought him back from the dead in GoW 3, it’s clear that this lingering traces of hope within him prior to and after that game don’t make him immortal since Thor straight up kills him in Ragnarok. This is also ignoring the issue of how simply having an abstraction inside of you isn’t enough for type 2 AE. If that were the case, everyone in GoW would have AE by virtue of their souls being abstractions.

Flames of Olympus Scaling [Power of Hope Kratos]

Currently, Kratos is given access to all the abilities possessed by the Flames of Olympus while he wields the power of hope. This gives him death manipulation, curse negation, and some extra forms of immortality negation, as well as resistance to all of these abilities. The source of this claim is that hope is stronger than the flames. We are not told the specifics of its superiority, just that the flames “pale in comparison” to hope. This just isn’t how hax scaling works; Being described as stronger or greater than something does not mean you gain the abilities of that thing; Kratos is stronger than many gods, but should he get all of their powers? This line of thinking makes no sense regardless of what the comparison is; The black plague pales in comparison to a supernova, but we aren’t giving the sun disease manipulation on that basis.

There’s a secondary problem in that the Flames of Olympus’ most notable trait - killing everything it touches - is also mysteriously absent from the scenes where hope plays a major role. Kratos as a mortal is unphased by hope entering his body, and while Ares did die to Kratos using the power of hope, he still put up a good fight and wasn’t instantly incapacitated by these supposed instant death hax. Kratos in GoW 3 and Zeus’ spirit are also not instantly killed by exposure to hope, nor does humanity die from Kratos releasing hope into the world (they die from all the other shit that’s going on, of course). Hell, Kratos is even brought back to life by hope - The total opposite of killing everything on contact. It’s a truly baffling assumption that a force intended to counteract the darkest parts of our psyche, to give us strength in our time of need, is also somehow a force that instantly kills whatever it touches with no hope of return. What would the core message of GoW 3 be if hope killed whatever it touched? “Hope is found in death”? Is GoW 3 the first pro-suicide game?

Resistance to Bodily Weaponry [Freya]

…Do I really need to explain this? I feel like this one was just an editing mistake LMAO

Creation [Nidhogg]
Creation (Creates and is the mother of the Lindwyrms[5])
C’mon now.

Kratos has this because he contained hope inside of himself after the events of God of War 1, but it lay dormant within him until God of War 3 (where the whole “Power of Hope” thing comes into play). That’s it. Kratos has an abstraction inside of himself, so he must also embody that abstraction in a way that makes him immortal, which is never confirmed to be the case. While we do see that hope brought him back from the dead in GoW 3, it’s clear that this lingering traces of hope within him prior to and after that game don’t make him immortal since Thor straight up kills him in Ragnarok. This is also ignoring the issue of how simply having an abstraction inside of you isn’t enough for type 2 AE. If that were the case, everyone in GoW would have AE by virtue of their souls being abstractions.
Alr, let me explain something here because you are wrong right there. Kratos didn't have the power of hope in any way when he was killed by Thor because after his battle with Fear Zeus, he took hope out of himself, his whole self was bombarded by fear zeus before he had the power of hope in the Hope key and the only thing that would cause him to return was the concept of hope that he then embodied.

In short, I strongly disagree with it and if it is downgraded I guess I will open a thread for that, I quoted the page below and... Yes, this certainly fits AE type 2

Note : Yeah, I was stupid because I thought this was the key to a moment of Hope but it's just for God key. I accept the whole sentence, Your Honor.
Type 2: Embodies an abstraction, and can be resurrected or regenerate indefinitely thanks to it. Destroying the abstraction is required to permanently kill those characters, but they can still be affected without directly altering it.
Other than that, I'm neutral against the others, but I agree with the part of "Everything else Hades has" and Flame of Olympuss for now.

Last edited:
Alr, let me explain something here because you are wrong right there. Kratos didn't have the power of hope in any way when he was killed by Thor because after his battle with Fear Zeus, he took hope out of himself, his whole self was bombarded by fear zeus before he had the power of hope in the Hope key and the only thing that would cause him to return was the concept of hope that he then embodied.

In short, I strongly disagree with it and if it is downgraded I guess I will open a thread for that, I quoted the page below and... Yes, this certainly fits AE type 2
This is incorrect, btw. It's been explicitly confirmed that he still carried a sliver of hope within himself during the Norse games.

i also forgor that Zeus kills Kratos in GoW 2 lol
How many more parts do you have?
I don't really have an answer to this at the moment. Every time I think I'm done, I find like 5 more things that are laughably wrong (like Surtr getting metal manipulation for using his fire to melt a gate). I don't particularly like how long these revisions are shaping up to be, but that's on GoW supporters for trying to make sex an ability.

This is incorrect, btw. It's been explicitly confirmed that he still carried a sliver of hope within himself during the Norse games.

i also forgor that Zeus kills Kratos in GoW 2 lol

I don't really have an answer to this at the moment. Every time I think I'm done, I find like 5 more things that are laughably wrong (like Surtr getting metal manipulation for using his fire to melt a gate). I don't particularly like how long these revisions are shaping up to be, but that's on GoW supporters for trying to make sex an ability.
Just a small part of it, but not the concept itself. Kratos took the concept of hope out of himself after he stabbed himself with the Blade of Olympuss.

But if it's for the god key, I guess it's okay because Planck was planning to remove it from god key anyway. So...

Well, I agree with the OP then.

Just a small part of it, but not the concept itself. Kratos took the concept of hope out of himself after he stabbed himself with the Blade of Olympuss.
Hope is the concept, if the explanation page is to be believed. There's no "concept of concepts" bullshit at play here, hope is hope and anything beyond that is a reach.
hope being conceptual is also stupid as hell but i'll get there when i get there

Hope is the concept, if the explanation page is to be believed. There's no "concept of concepts" bullshit at play here, hope is hope and anything beyond that is a reach.
A concept may be more abstract than an another concept. It may even cover it, so what you are saying here is a bullshit similar to personal standards
hope being conceptual is also stupid as hell but i'll get there when i get there
Already tried by Deagon and nuked

so what you are saying here is a bullshit similar to personal standards
The fuck's your problem, dude

This doesn't matter because at no point has it ever been claimed that hope is a concept, and there is a broader concept that encompasses the concept of hope. It has only ever been "hope is a concept" and nothing more. At this point you're just making up things that have never been accepted or even discussed for the verse, and then getting upset when I point that out.
Already tried by Deagon and nuked
Getting a lot of flashbacks to the tier 1 DMC downgrades, wonder why 🤔

The ****'s your problem, dude

This doesn't matter because at no point has it ever been claimed that hope is a concept, and there is a broader concept that encompasses the concept of hope. It has only ever been "hope is a concept" and nothing more. At this point you're just making up things that have never been accepted or even discussed for the verse, and then getting upset when I point that out.
Ahhh... Hope is known to be an even more abstract and more powerful abstraction than other type 1 concepts, and it has even been said to be immune to the effects of all the evils and fear(they are basically concepts.) So... You can deny it all you want, or you can fly on wings about it, but it doesn't change the fact
Getting a lot of flashbacks to the tier 1 DMC downgrades, wonder why 🤔
What is the relevance of this issue? You can continue with your minimal crisis, maybe some other memories will come to your mind, huh?
Knock it off.
After being bullied by Nasuverse supporters and Ultima, everything is hard, isn't it?
Anyway, isn't it a bit aggressive of you to come here and say that? Or did I say something that's not true? Or something that's offensive to you? I'm sorry, but what I wrote was the truth.

So there is no need to act aggressively

I don't know where you get off being petty, but try and focus on the argument at hand because from where I'm standing, Kratos will be a Goku victim by the end of the week if you can't make a single coherent argument
I have already done it, but if Fuji claims different things that are not in the verse, there is nothing I can do about it, I cannot force anyone to change their mind, So...

Ahhh... Hope is known to be an even more abstract and more powerful abstraction than other type 1 concepts, and it has even been said to be immune to the effects of all the evils and fear(they are basically concepts.) So... You can deny it all you want, or you can fly on wings about it, but it doesn't change the fact
That is completely unrelated to the discussion. You proposed that Norse Kratos only had "hope" inside of him, and not the "concept of hope". I am saying that there is no distinction between the two, because hope is the concept, which you yourself are admitting here.
What is the relevance of this issue? You can continue with your minimal crisis, maybe some other memories will come to your mind, huh?
Just more of the same old overconfident "heh, you'll never downgrade this part of the verse!" attitude followed immediately by me downgrading it anyways. Happened with tier 1 DMC, and it'll happen with GoW's concept hax.
After being bullied by Nasuverse supporters and Ultima, everything is hard, isn't it?
Anyway, isn't it a bit aggressive of you to come here and say that? Or did I say something that's not true? Or something that's offensive to you? I'm sorry, but what I wrote was the truth.

He's just asking you to stop acting like a prick, but I guess that was asking for too much.
I have already done it, but if Fuji claims different things that are not in the verse, there is nothing I can do about it, I cannot force anyone to change their mind, So...
What exactly am I claiming that is "not in the verse"?

You'll play nice or you won't play. I'm getting really sick of people trying to abuse Deagon because he wants to downgrade a verse they like. This is an informal warning. Next instance with a whiff of this dogshit will be a formal one.

That is completely unrelated to the discussion. You proposed that Norse Kratos only had "hope" inside of him, and not the "concept of hope". I am saying that there is no distinction between the two, because hope is the concept, which you yourself are admitting here.
The hope within a man and the concept of hope are different, for example, the hope that Kratos currently has within himself gives hope only to "himself", whereas the concept of Hope that he has brought out of himself with Blade of Olympuss, Tyr said, gives hope to all of Norse, and even to other realms. And that they are exists everwhere

Just more of the same old overconfident "heh, you'll never downgrade this part of the verse!" attitude followed immediately by me downgrading it anyways. Happened with tier 1 DMC, and it'll happen with GoW's concept hax.
It's just... Go on, exceptions don't broke the truths. I'm just waiting for the day you try it.

And GoW has multiple concept hax justifications, so...
He's just asking you to stop acting like a prick, but I guess that was asking for too much.
No, I'm just trying to keep up with you, is that too light?
What exactly am I claiming that is "not in the verse"?
Exactly this;

You'll play nice or you won't play. I'm getting really sick of people trying to abuse Deagon because he wants to downgrade a verse they like. This is an informal warning. Next instance with a whiff of this dogshit will be a formal one.
Because downgrading a verse =/= ignoring the contexts of a verse and focusing only on downgrading and not acting honestly. He acts on his emotions...

Deagon is confusing "being careful" with "ignoring everything and focusing only on the downgrade in a personal way"

In my opinion, if one person has a problem with more than one person, then the problem is with that person, so defending one person and blaming the majority and pitying them is really not a good way, so instead of telling the majority to "fix yourselves", you can try telling that one person to "fix yourself".

Because downgrading a verse =/= ignoring the contexts of a verse and focusing only on downgrading and not acting honestly. He acts on his emotions...

Deagon is confusing "being careful" with "ignoring everything and focusing only on the downgrade in a personal way"

In my opinion, if one person has a problem with more than one person, then the problem is with that person, so defending one person and blaming the majority and pitying them is really not a good way, so instead of telling the majority to "fix yourselves", you can try telling that one person to "fix yourself".
Alright. Well, your opinion does not decide what is right. Mass bullying of someone isn't 'right'. So I don't care. Now. Am I to take this as a statement that you won't be abiding by our rules?

Then you can start by telling him that he shouldn't act like a ********, no?
This is a formal warning, now. I suppose I'll be posting to the RVRT a list of people who get them from here. I'm not playing around here, if you resort to insults in this thread to piggy-back off of another derailed thread, you are getting a formal warning, with more warnings resulting in thread bans or outright bans.

Speak on the subject at hand, not which staff members you don't like. It's actually super simple.

I'm a moderator, you were being rude to another user, I told you to "knock it off." The idea that this constitutes aggression on my part isn't reasonable.

This thread has gotten seriously derailed by your antics. If you cannot restrain yourself from making such comments, you'll be threadbanned.

I'll be deleting the derailing comments now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back