• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The bad MC from a bad LN vs Kirito

Correction, Akuto's Immortality needs outside help to apply on all keys but Act 13/Afterlife and Void Body.

DarkGrath said:
90% of this match so far has been arguing which shitty protagonist is worse
False, no one has argued anything about Kirito, and he's much better than Akuto anyways, which is less a feat for Kirito and more proof that Akuto sucks.

Celestial Pegasus said:
Btw this supposed to be an actual vs match up, or a debate on which character is crappier?
It was meant to be an actual match, but Schnee's question derailed it a lot.

You and I have very different views of how a protagonist should be then, because the main character of the story, the one whose point of view is the main and whom we're meant to root for, being a jerk who has no problem on sacrificing his friend's lifes for his own good or going to kill his best friend's girlfriend simply because he disagreed with him isn't anything close to being "not that bad".

See, your question is literally the first comment, and by answering it, this derailed to hell.

Ionliosite said:
He's a massive asshole who's a jerk to everyone and girls love him by the dozens anyway. Also, he's the chosen of The Law of Identity, which gave him even more reasons to treat people like crap. A shame he turned out that way, he was quite nice if short tempered at first, but after he embraces being the Demon King, he's just unsufferable.
Meh, I know characters that are worse and I still like them. (cof cof, Yuuto)

Kirito: Swords

Akuto: Mana shots

^^ Can we please actually debate the match? It's been over 50 posts.

Uhhh...okay so

Kirito in this key would Sword, Sword Skill, and Sacred art Spam, and if worst comes to worst: Enhance Armament, or even worse Incarnation. That and kirito has like analytical prediction in every key and has the experience to read, predict, and dodge. So Kirito Sonic Leaps him or something, voting for kirito

Ionliosite said:
I seriously doubt you aren't mean to root for Light in Death Note, but I totally find it impossible to root for him, given he's very clearly worse than the people he's killing.
You outright aren't meant to.

Theres something to be said about it being interesting and entertaining to watch a horrible person succeed in a satisfying way, like riding a roller coaster as it builds up. You know they'll get their just desserts but it's entertaining to watch them succeed in the meantime, partially because it's all the more entertaining to watch something built up fall father

"Twice the pride, double the fall"

Anyways, I won't derail anymore

He's actively shown to be horrible and manipulative, destructive and childish.

He murders people because of his ego, and disguises it as justice.

Having charisma, presence, etc., makes it easy to get caught up in his actions and his character, but when the time comes and he gets caught, you're not supposed to go "oh man I hope he escapes", you're supposed to go "I hope he gets his shit kicked in".

That doesn't answer my question at all, that's just pretty much how Light is. I'm asking your razonalization for that last bit.

Being a terrible person seems like a good rational for not siding with someone

Also Kirito hits once, since to my ire this is still a versus thread

DMUA said:
Being a terrible person seems like a good rational for not siding with someone
Well, you're totally mean to side with Akuto despite him being a terrible person, with the only one who calls him out for that in-verse treated as lame and jelous of him by other characters. So that's really not a reasoning supported by the series as much obvious logic from the reader.

KnightOfSunlight said:
That's a difference in writing quality.

I never said Akuto was well written lmao
And I never implied you did, I just said your answer didn't adress my question at all.

"Theres something to be said about it being interesting and entertaining to watch a horrible person succeed in a satisfying way, like riding a roller coaster as it builds up. You know they'll get their just desserts but it's entertaining to watch them succeed in the meantime"

This way of thinking is what ruined the ending for me, because really, Light not winning made 0 sense and it felt shoe-horned in, for no reason other than "the bad-guy has to lose". Death Note could have been legit GOAT material manga if Light had won in the end.

And yeah, from fairly early on, I was cheering for Light to win. That's how good of a villain he was, while also being the primary protagonist.

Ultimately Light is still a bad person, and the story does make you want to see him win at the beginning, and as you see the true effects of his movement into the second half, it begins to become more ambiguous, finally leaving with Nier managing to exploit his arrogance and get that one lethal drop on him that L never managed, him dropping how much of a lethal weapon the death note truly was, before Light is finally killed

I think it's still really good throughout the whole run, though the later half does slow down and lose some of it's intensity

We might as well make another thread dedicated to "evil" protagonists lol.

Light messed up in the second episode when he tried to kill "L" on the T.V out of pure arrogance so him losing in the end due to pure arrogance makes sense to me, it already had backing and made sense. He was arrogant and taunted the female detective before she had actually died, meaning what if he was wrong? He would have lost right then and there.

Light is not perfect and his arrogance being his downfall is the most accurate thing ever. Seeing Light lose the way he did and how he ended up was quite awesome.

Although the first half is arguably a much better show the ending is still amazing.

Cough Breaking Bad Cough

Light being rash/careless in making a descision because someone is provoking him is different from him suddenly becoming dumber and overlooking something like a switcharoo.

Or maybe you could say he overlooked things like that because of the arrogance he had after defeating L and essentially achieving his goal.

Either way, I didn't feel good about it.

He had years to be on the top. His God complex was severely fueled. Any old person could make an oversight like that, for someone who thought themselves utterly unkillable? Such a small slip up can easily go through the cracks, only to bite them when it comes down to it

Cutting in here; It might be better to make a new thread for this, or just leave it at an agree-to-disagree. The thread has derailed 2-3 times already and has yet to get back on track.

If not, then change the post name to Antagonists in Fiction and ask Schnee to move this to the GD board.

I'm voting Kirito FRA.

Schnee One said:
You and I have very different views of how a protagonist should be then, because the main character of the story, the one whose point of view is the main and whom we're meant to root for, being a jerk who has no problem on sacrificing his friend's lifes for his own good or going to kill his best friend's girlfriend simply because he disagreed with him isn't anything close to being "not that bad".
"Whom we're meant to root for"
Protagonists are not people we should root for by default just because they are the main character. They are characters who are the main point of view for the Audience to grasp the story, they don't have to be people you root for

My profile picture is a main character who destroys civilian heald oil facilities because they belong to a race he despises, yet he's one of my favorite protags ever.

Wait, where is it stated that Cypher is racist let alone has hatred for Belkans?

Back