• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Art of Debating (Tips and what not)

So uhh, any tips on how to debate? Like, on how to get "good" that is. (Rhetorics, etc)
(is it ok to ask here btw? Just decided to ask here since this is the best site for me, imo)

There isn't right or wrong way of debating, everyone has their own ways. But usually, the better way to debate is to have your sources back up the points you make. Without sources, the debate falls apart.

Also keeping your emotions in check leads to better debate. Because if you lose your temper, in a way you kinda lose lol.

To give you a more general tip, be aware of what your position is in the debate. Debates this days are mostly about defending or changing the status quo, especially for characters with widly accepted notions of power levels (Like How Goku is universal across most communities, how Naruto is planet level etc). When debating, be aware what the status quo is and what your position in regards to it is: Defending the status quo is infinitly easier than challenging it, due to tradition and popularity. For example, if you go to Communty A, who has a Outerversal character A meta, proposing a Planet level Downgrade will be extremly hard, even if scans are in your favor. Sometimes, you will take L's simply due to that, so the moral of this section is: Just because youre correct, dosnt mean youre right, judge wether the uphill battle is worth your time or not and dont grow conceited just because you won debates while defending the status quo.

Ah, but to be clear, it isnt impossible to change the status quo, this wiki in particular has examples of that happening. Its just headache inducingly hard. There is a reason why arguments from tradition and popularity are considered logical fallacies

Make sure to use obscure scientific/philosophical concepts which nobody, especially not yourself, really understands and claim that they make you right.
Especially useful for that is stuff outside of the regularly used systems of reasoning, because hardly any strong statements can be made about those which means nobody can disprove with certainty that it does prove your claim.

To give a serious response: You should have learned sometime in school how to write an argumentation. Those typically have a structure of claim -> argument -> example/source -> Repeat. And address the arguments of the position you don't agree with first. That stuff helps.

For rhetoric, practice speaking, practice saying your arguments, talk to people, debate often to increase your rhetoric.

For argumentation, make yourself knowledgeable. Practice the topic you want to get good at. Take a hard look at what you are arguing for, look for holes in it, and cover it up as best as possible. Typically, the more you practice with a certain topic/verse, the better you will get.
Also word what you are saying very carefully. Saying the wrong thing can lead to an accidental loss.

Always ask questions about a person's scaling, and if you are looking to "debunk" their argument, I would say ask questions about things their argument is contingent upon, and basically use skepticism.

Use fallacies. If you want you can spend time memorizing certain fallacies, but its almost impossible memorize them all. So instead of that, just explain how their argument is fallacious, and how their way of reasoning doesn't really imply their argument is true, and basically prove it is based on a mistaken belief.

Lastly, the most important thing.
Goku solos. Keep that in mind. No matter what ability a person may have, no matter how strong they are goku solos.

Last edited:
You gotta say something like "concession accepted" randomly to infuriate your opponent
Ah, the good old but useful tactic...
rock-nodding.gif

Ben Shapiro them
in all seriousness though
while I don't exactly have a good record on here when it comes to winning debates, I find it to be helpful to argue against your own points, simply debate yourself until there's no counterargument left that you know of

at least that's the way I've prevented embarassing myself as much arguing against a certain chariot

and don't bring up wiki standards to debunk otherwise good arguments nobody likes a snitch

another more serious add on
my debates have gone from actual attempts of winning to "it's not about winning it's about sending a message"
99% of what I do is argue against large odds (probably staff) so

Back