• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Thanos' durability calculation?

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
I don't quite understand the results of this calculation.

It says that the black hole in question sucked up everything within 2 lightyears, and then released that energy, which resulted in something on the order of 10^50 tons of TNT. However, 2 lightyears usually only covers 1 solar system's worth of matter to absorb, so I don't understand how it could end up with almost galaxy level energy? It seems extremely counter-intuitive.

Could the calculation group (and other well-informed members) please take a look at if this seems correct? Thank you.

I think it has to do with energy and mass equivalence. According to their calc one solar system worth of matter releases 1 galaxie worth of energy as it's emitted from a blackhole. however I think it's wrong

The problem with the calc is, black hole converts matter to enrgy by itself, so I think only 1 solar system of energy is released after the black hole collapses. It's not that all the matter is converted after the black hole collapses, no, it happens before that, during the absorption.

Honestly though, Black hole physics is really confusing...

This would end up being High 4-A durability feat for Thanos and well not really impressive considering the fact that his page has durability given on Small Galaxy level already. So not really an upgrade.

Or maybe this very calc was used for his durability feat?

Sabertoothunter said:
This would end up being High 4-A durability feat for Thanos and well not really impressive considering the fact that his page has durability given on Small Galaxy level already. So not really an upgrade.
Yes, 3-A was given based on that. However this looks like a solar system to multi-solar system feat at best. Not more than 4-B imo

Joseph619 said:
Sabertoothunter said:
Yes, 3-A was given based on that. However this looks like a solar system to multi-solar system feat at best. Not more than 4-B imo
Oh yeah I got it wrong yes, A high 4-B at best for this feat. Well he still looks in fair condition tanking it.

Also what was the calc for him being 3-A? Is it IG related?

The Schwarzschild radius is the distance from the center of a black hole at which nothing can escape the black hole anymore. In other words it describes the size of the event horizon. The size of the Schwarzschild radius is only dependend on the mass of the black hole. So the bigger the Schwarzschild radius the more mass the black hole has. The calc assumes that the Schwarzschild radius is 2 lightyears wide, since the black hole instantly sucked up everything in 2 lightyears. A 2 lightyears big Schwarzschild radius requires a black hole that has a lot more mass than just a solar system.

So for short, since the black hole is supposed to be 2 lightyears big it should have a mass so much higher than a solar systems, that the energy equivalent is high Multi-Solar System Level.

Well, this was a fictional "black hole bomb" that instantly disappeared the black hole without a trace after being used.

I don´t know if we want to use it in that case.

Just converting a solar system into energy would produce about 1.79 * 1047 J. So about Solar System Level Energy.

Hmm. Perhaps it would be better to change his durability to "Unknown" then, and treat this as an unquantifiable outlier? He generally takes damage from far less.

the result of the calc is so high because black holes only collaps with the amount of energy equivalent to their own mass energy, its not that weird, the mass energy of a mountain is enough to destroy the moon six times over...

Hmm. The problem is that this was a device that somehow made a black hole near instantly appear and disappear. Despite the title, it did not seem to behave at all like real black holes, I also have no idea where the Thanosi would find and compress a solar system's worth of mass to initialise it?

well thats a part of the problam with comics, the writers write about things they don't understand and can't portrey very well, but if we star nittpicking on every little detail, we would never be able to get anything done...

Well, this is hardly a little detail. It is a fairly massive one. A supposed black hole that does not remotely behave like a black hole in any way cannot reliably be quantified as one.

well blame the authors then, i really can't offer you any other answer, the calcs assumes its a black hole because the author said so, if it isn't a black hole, then there really no other category ths "thing" can fall into, making this feat uncalculateable, and thus meaningles...

That the incidence is incalculable and meaningless is what I am suspecting.

Black Holes in the Comic Book world never behave like regular ones. Hell, fictional Black Holes period don't behave like regular ones. Still one hell of a feat for Thanos though, albeit I hate claculations in general, as trying to bring real life physics to fiction is generally a futile thing.

Just rate it as unquantifiable. I don't agree with the calc and the whole situation doesn't make much sense either

Okay. I will update Thanos profile.

Back