• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Telekinesis vs Psychokinesis

Which ability has been proven to be superior and why?

I know that people say that they're both the same but I like some assurance of the advantages one ability has over the other and vice versa.

Thanks for reading.

In popular culture, they are synonymous, and mean "the ability to affect physical objects via thoughs only".

Now if you want the true definitions, telekinesis refers to the movement and levitation of physical objects by though, and psychokinesis refers to the mental influence of physical systems and objects.

So basically telekinesis is just a phenomen you can create via psychokinesys, and is limited to the movement (with this definition, I wonder if even the bending spoon could be considered as simple telekinesis). With psychokinesis you include telekinesis, and there is more possibility like changing the temperature or the pression of a system (ignition, implosion, explosion, etc...). Or at least that's how I understand the subject, not 100% sure.

Anyways, in popular culture we often use the definition of psychokinesis for telekinesis as well and when someone talk about telekinesis, he often mean psychokinesis in fact.

Nakaos said:
In popular culture, they are synonymous, and mean "the ability to affect physical objects via thoughs only".
Now if you want the true definitions, telekinesis refers to the movement and levitation of physical objects by though, and psychokinesis refers to the mental influence of physical systems and objects.

So basically telekinesis is just a phenomen you can create via psychokinesys, and is limited to the movement (with this definition, I wonder if even the bending spoon could be considered as simple telekinesis). With psychokinesis you include telekinesis, and there is more possibility like changing the temperature or the pression of a system (ignition, implosion, explosion, etc...). Or at least that's how I understand the subject, not 100% sure.

Anyways, in popular culture we often use the definition of psychokinesis for telekinesis as well and when someone talk about telekinesis, he often mean psychokinesis in fact.
I'm starting to think that Psychokinesis is more efficient and more reliable than Telekinesis.

I also wonder if admins think that Psychokinesis is better than Telekinesis...I could be wrong.

From what I've read it seems Telekinesis and Psychokinesis are rather similar. Some sources even using them interchangably.

And again it depends on the type of Telekinesis/Psychokinesis, how one is able to use it, etc. that determines which form would be better.

Ryukama said:
From what I've read it seems Telekinesis and Psychokinesis are rather similar. Some sources even using them interchangably.
And again it depends on the type of Telekinesis/Psychokinesis, how one is able to use it, etc. that determines which form would be better.
I am assuming that Character A has Telekinesis while Character B has Psychokinesis.

Both of those characters have the same tier, AP, durability, speed, etc except for their abilities which are similar but different

Technically which character would win?

Again it depends on how the powers work. "Similar but different" is way too vague.

It's more of a case by case basis and how the powers in particular work with that character.

If everything, even the usefulness of their powers is equal though. It'd then depend on fighting skill and willingness to go all out.

Ryukama said:
Again it depends on how the powers work. "Similar but different" is way too vague.
It's more of a case by case basis and how the powers in particular work with that character.

If everything, even the usefulness of their powers is equal though. It'd then depend on fighting skill and willingness to go all out.
According to your answers I now think that specific circumstances decide which ability is superior over the other and vice versa.

Was looking through the recent activity and spotted this. Looks like I did learn something new today. My thanks to all involved.

Good to see other admins sharing their own conclusions.

I'm thinking that different circumstances decide which ability is more suitable to use.

1st example: You're Luke Skywalker and you're fighting Darth Vader and all of a sudden he makes your light saber slip out of your hands. Telekinesis is more suitable to use since you can move objects towards you from a distance so Luke Skywalker can reclaim his Light Saber and fight back.

2nd example: If you're fighting someone in a stadium then Psychokinesis is more suitable since you can pick up more than 1 object at a time to throw at your opponent unlike Telekinesis which I think you can concentrate on grabbing 1 object from a distance at a time.

Back