• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Tatsumaki's speed upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an official interview ( https://onepunchman.fandom.com/wiki/Interviews/Stream_Q/A_4 ):
A: hm~, I'm not sure. Black holes seem too powerful. I won't know for sure without asking ONE. But his ability to control flying object should be above Tatsumaki, because he can eliminate the friction between rocks and air. If Tatsumaki throws rocks like he does, her output will be too powerful, the temperature increase due to friction and pressure, and evaporate the rocks in an instant. Geryuganshoop's psychokinesis can eliminate the friction between objects and air, the rocks will fly at sub-light speed*, that's the setting I based my drawing on. Tatsumaki can throw very large objects, but there's a limit to how fast she can throw them. Geryuganshoop is the greatest psychic in the universe after all. That's what I think. (he repeats this several times)

Murata: Saitama still beat him with a casual stone throw though. In Saitama's eyes rocks at sub-light speed is nothing, it's like a bad joke.

T/N: The Japanese used here is 亜光速, can mean sub-light or near lightspeed. Murata says Geryuganshoop being the greatest psychic in the universe in a joking manner.

- It was stated that Gery's ability on throwing objects is superior to tatsumaki's because he can eliminate the fricction between the air and the object. And this basically implies that tatsumaki cannot throw objects as fast as him just because the air fricction, her output would be too powerful and the object would be incinerated. This has nothing to do with her speed, implying that they're both at the same tier in speed. Even the ''but there's a limit to how fast she can throw them.'' supports this idea, the air fricction is the only problem.

shouldnt we scale tatsumaki to geryganshoop? Since the only thing that prevents her from throwing objects like he does is the air pressure (MENTIONED) and not her speed.

Last edited:
IIRC, this interview was from Murata. The most we give Murata statements are 'possibly' ratings.

I would agree to giving her 'Possibly Relativistic+'.

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with her speed, implying that they're both at the same tier in speed.
Tatsumaki can throw very large objects, but there's a limit to how fast she can throw them.
If she is stated to literally be unable throw objects at relativistic speeds, and if we have never seen her throw objects at relativistic speeds, no.

If she is stated to literally be unable throw objects at relativistic speeds, and if we have never seen her throw objects at relativistic speeds, no.
Murata said that she has more than enough power to send objects at that speed, but the issue is that said objects would burn up before reaching those her peak.

"If Tatsumaki throws rocks like he does, her output will be too powerful, the temperature increase due to friction and pressure, and evaporate the rocks in an instant. Geryuganshoop's psychokinesis can eliminate the friction between objects and air, the rocks will fly at sub-light speed"

Again, Murata explicitly states that there is a limit to how fast she can throw objects, that limit being friction. Furthermore, there is no opportunity for Tatsumaki to ever battle in a location devoid of air. Because of that, she cannot achieve relativistic speeds.

To make a point, anything, really, can achieve the speed of light in real life. The thing holding us back, though, is our mass, because the energy required to accelerate matter to that speed would be infinite and would destroy our bodies, reducing us to particles. If we got rid of our mass, though, we could reach those impossible speeds. We have no way of becoming massless, though; just as Tatsumaki has no way to eliminating friction like Geryuganshoop can.

There is an explicit obstacle that limits how fast she can throw objects. So long as that obstacle exists, she will never reach those speeds.

Again, Murata explicitly states that there is a limit to how fast she can throw objects, that limit being friction. Furthermore, there is no opportunity for Tatsumaki to ever battle in a location devoid of air. Because of that, she cannot achieve relativistic speeds.

To make a point, anything, really, can achieve the speed of light in real life. The thing holding us back, though, is our mass, because the energy required to accelerate matter to that speed would be infinite and would destroy our bodies, reducing us to particles. If we got rid of our mass, though, we could reach those impossible speeds. We have no way of becoming massless, though; just as Tatsumaki has no way to eliminating friction like Geryuganshoop can.

There is an explicit obstacle that limits how fast she can throw objects. So long as that obstacle exists, she will never reach those speeds.
Nop. You forgot the fact that she uses TK. She doens't always needs to throw objects to attack, she can use a tk assault to crush enemies, just like she did with gyoro gyoro, octopus, psykorochi.. The air fricction rule isnt applied here.
She has power enough to throw objects at sub-light speed, means that she can use a tk assault at this speed.

We only use author statements as supporting evidence.

Even then, Gery being stated to be the superior esper means he wouldn't scale to Tatsumaki by default.

the air fricction is literally the -ONLY- thing that prevents her from throwing OBJECTS at sub-light speed, TK assaults doesnt even interact with the air directly, and she's stated to have more than enough power to throw objects at rel speeds.....
she def deserves a ''possibly rel+''

We only use author statements as supporting evidence.

Even then, Gery being stated to be the superior esper means he wouldn't scale to Tatsumaki by default.
Geryuganshoop wasn't stated to be superior, even in this interview he (Murata) was joking around when mentioned gery as the ''greatest esper''...

basically, things that doesn't have interaction with air pression does not have a speed limit, i mean, tk's assaults.

the air fricction is literally the -ONLY- thing that prevents her from throwing OBJECTS at sub-light speed,
If this was stated then I would agree but he literally said that she couldn't throw heavy objects because they would burn up the atmosphere. That's it. Even escape velocity does that. There's nothing saying that her current speed ratings should be altered in anyway.
TK assaults doesnt even interact with the air directly, and she's stated to have more than enough power to throw objects at rel speeds.....
They never said that. Just that her use of the psychic ability is inferior to Gery resulting her in an inability to overcome friction.
Geryuganshoop wasn't stated to be superior, even in this interview he (Murata) was joking around when mentioned gery as the ''greatest esper''...

Geryuganshoop is the greatest psychic in the universe after all.
It doesn't sound like he's joking to me. Whether or not this is an exaggeration or not though, it doesn't change the fact that Tatsumaki is <Gery in terms of skill (at least in this instance).

These arguments of course, are viable if we are under the impression that the use of the quote is accepted which, it probably wouldn't be, not only because we don't accept contradictory author statements but also because Murata clearly is not sure about the relation between the two. I'll be honest, I don't see anything usable here.

It doesn't sound like he's joking to me. Whether or not this is an exaggeration or not though, it doesn't change the fact that Tatsumaki is <Gery in terms of skill (at least in this instance).
''T/N: The Japanese used here is 亜光速, can mean sub-light or near lightspeed. Murata says Geryuganshoop being the greatest psychic in the universe in a joking manner.'' read the full interview bro.

If this was stated then I would agree but he literally said that she couldn't throw heavy objects because they would burn up the atmosphere. That's it. Even escape velocity does that. There's nothing saying that her current speed ratings should be altered in anyway.
Nope, she can't throw any object in sub-light speed due air pressure, just this, theres nothing with the weight of the object. And as i said, tatsumaki does not fight throwing rocks only.

They never said that. Just that her use of the psychic ability is inferior to Gery resulting her in an inability to overcome friction.
they don't need. This is how telekinesis works. Telekinesis does not interact with the air, the air pressure does not apply to a tk assault.
and yes, murata LITERALLY says that tatsumaki has power enough to throw things at sub-light speed. ''If Tatsumaki throws rocks like he does, her output will be too powerful, the temperature increase due to friction and pressure, and evaporate the rocks in an instant''. If she had the same ability as gery, she would throw it at sub-light speed with ease. But this is not the point, my point here is that she doenst use rocks to fight everytime and TK assault shouldn't be limited to the ''air pressure'' rule since it has nothing to do it with.
we also saw that tatsumaki is much faster than her throwing speed while she dodged several of the rocks that she was throwing at psykos.
1GfaNRbtSR7r2mHxXcLm4GDs1Sc6sj-k7

Last edited:
If she's somehow implied to be equal to him in speed, why not scale her with a ''possibly rel+'' aswel?
she just can't throw objects, but still can use tk assault..

''T/N: The Japanese used here is 亜光速, can mean sub-light or near lightspeed. Murata says Geryuganshoop being the greatest psychic in the universe in a joking manner.'' read the full interview bro.
Fair, but he does say that Gery's ability was above hers. Also, as I said exaggeration (or joke) or not, the statement in general can't be used. I noticed you refused to acknowledge that.
they don't need. This is how telekinesis works. Telekinesis does not interact with the air, the air pressure does not apply to a tk assault.
Sure.
and yes, murata LITERALLY says that tatsumaki has power enough to throw things at sub-light speed. ''If Tatsumaki throws rocks like he does, her output will be too powerful, the temperature increase due to friction and pressure, and evaporate the rocks in an instant''.
Again, this just tells me that they throw objects using their telekinesis differently, which is corroborated with the quote:

But his ability to control flying object should be above Tatsumaki, because he can eliminate the friction between rocks and air
Their ability to remove certain constraints from their objects is different. One is thus allowed to achieve near light speeds, the other can't. That's it.
If she had the same ability as gery, she would throw it at sub-light speed with ease.
But she doesn't have that ability, making it irrelevant.
But this is not the point, my point here is that she doenst use rocks to fight everytime and TK assault shouldn't be limited to the ''air pressure'' rule since it has nothing to do it with.
So you're saying that she can crush something or manipulate it at near light speed?

I guess I can see an argument there, why are you assuming he only meant rocks though? Rocks were mentioned but also objects in general was used in relation to Gery. They would logically be under the same constraints as the rocks.
we also saw that tatsumaki is much faster than her throwing speed while she dodged several of the rocks that she was throwing at psykos.
1GfaNRbtSR7r2mHxXcLm4GDs1Sc6sj-k7
So, attack speed<combat speed, and...?

Fair, but he does say that Gery's ability was above hers. Also, as I said exaggeration (or joke) or not, the statement in general can't be used. I noticed you refused to acknowledge that.

Sure.

Again, this just tells me that they throw objects using their telekinesis differently, which is corroborated with the quote:

Their ability to remove certain constraints from their objects is different. One is thus allowed to achieve near light speeds, the other can't. That's it.

But she doesn't have that ability, making it irrelevant.

So you're saying that she can crush something or manipulate it at near light speed?

I guess I can see an argument there, why are you assuming he only meant rocks though? Rocks were mentioned but also objects in general was used in relation to Gery. They would logically be under the same constraints as the rocks.

So, attack speed<combat speed, and...?
not that.
her attack speed with just TK is higher than her attack speed with OBJECTS due matter's limitation. Tk goes DIRECTLY for the target and have no interaction with the air.
and i only used rocks as example but yes, objects in general.

If Tatsumaki can't access that speed due to friction, how is she going to have Rel+?

And, that statement is probably very outdated already.
she can't have acess to that speed while controling objetcs. While moving and while using sheer tk this limitation shouldnt be applied.

The weird thing with the statement is that Murata’s saying she could throw stuff at those speeds, but it’d burn up through friction. So like, it’s not something that she could practically use in a fight or something we could really index on her profile.

The weird thing with the statement is that Murata’s saying she could throw stuff at those speeds, but it’d burn up through friction. So like, it’s not something that she could practically use in a fight or something we could really index on her profile.
her attacks with sheer telekinesis can reach those speeds, TK has no matter to be "burned".
like, she can use her tk to crush someone at rel+ speed, since it works directly on the targed and has no air contact

being superstrong and resistant is already enough to run at ftl speeds without being burned in opm's verse. FF, Garou and PS proofs that
so im pretty sure tatsumaki's shields would allow her levitate her body at super speeds without tatsumaki incinerating herself

her attacks with sheer telekinesis can reach those speeds, TK has no matter to be "burned".
like, she can use her tk to crush someone at rel+ speed, since it works directly on the targed and has no air contact
being superstrong and resistant is already enough to run at ftl speeds without being burned in opm's verse. FF, Garou and PS proofs that
so im pretty sure tatsumaki's shields would allow her levitate her body at super speeds without tatsumaki incinerating herself
Uh, no. Murata is specifically talking about Tatsumaki and Gery’s throwing speeds. Not their movement speed, not their general attacking speeds, just throwing speed.

Man looking back this statement is weird as shit since there are tons of instances of characters moving at Relativistic - FTL speed without setting ablaze and they don’t have the ability to negate friction

Anyway Murata is indeed saying Tatsumaki’s PK is capable of throwing things at sub-light speed, but she also cannot do so because physics. Not sure how we’d go about indexing this.

Anyway Murata is indeed saying Tatsumaki’s PK is capable of throwing things at sub-light speed, but she also cannot do so because physics. Not sure how we’d go about indexing this.
Yeah, like, I don’t know how we’d do it either. The only idea I have would be something along the lines of this:
Possibly Relativistic+ throwing speed (Murata stated that Tatsumaki can throw objects at the same speed as Geryuganshoop, however anything she threw at that speed would burn up due to friction)
Or we put a note at the bottom of the page explaining this, idk.

Yeah, like, I don’t know how we’d do it either. The only idea I have would be something along the lines of this:

Or we put a note at the bottom of the page explaining this, idk.
Possibly Relativistic+ throwing speed (Murata stated that Tatsumaki can throw objects at the same speed as Geryuganshoop, however anything she threw at that speed would burn up due to friction)
Don't you mean Relativistic+ attack speed?

Also, since when do we take author statements at face value like this? I thought we only considered them as supporting evidences and not used to upgrade characters when used as the sole evidence?

Don't you mean Relativistic+ attack speed?
No, because Murata is specifically referring to how fast Tats and Gery can throw stuff. We can’t say for certain if all of Tats’ attacks are that fast.
Also, since when do we take author statements at face value like this? I thought we only considered them as supporting evidences and not used to upgrade characters when used as the sole evidence?
We treat Murata statements as being valid to use for upgrades (if they don’t contradict anything), but only enough for a Possibly rating.

No, because Murata is specifically referring to how fast Tats and Gery can throw stuff. We can’t say for certain if all of Tats’ attacks are that fast.
I believe we classify throwing things as attack speed, regardless of what is being thrown.

Possibly Relativistic+ attack speed (Murata stated that Tatsumaki can throw objects at the same speed as Geryuganshoop, however anything she threw at that speed would burn up due to friction)
I think adding this to her page should be fine. Note that this will only be usable in vsthreads when she has access to objects that don't burn at that speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back