• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Tabbers Template Replacement Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damage3245

He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
The purpose of this thread is to manage the creation of new templates that will be a replacement to the existing Tab2 template.

The list of pages currently using the Tab2 template can be found here. The only pages that should have the template replaced are actual articles and not sandboxes or blog posts.

The list of newly created templates can be found here. If you want to check if a character has already had a template created for them, you can check this list.

To create a new navigation template for the character, go to this URL:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Template:

Followed by the name of the character you are making the template for. For example:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Monkey_D._Luffy

And then copy-paste the format for the template to that page.

The format of the new template will look like this:

{|class="about-article" style="{{#if: {{{minwidth|}}} | min-width: {{{minwidth}}}em; }}"
! Articles about<br>[[Template:Monkey D. Luffy]]
| [[Monkey D. Luffy (Pre-Timeskip)|Pre-Timeskip]] • [[Monkey D. Luffy (Post-Timeskip)|Post-Timeskip]]
|}{{-}}<noinclude>[[Category:Article List Templates]]</noinclude>

For the section on "Articles about", you will need to put the name of the template which will be the primary name of the character. In this case, for Template: Monkey D. Luffy, the name used is "Template:Monkey D. Luffy" as seen above.

After that, the next section is for the articles. The current display on the tabbers should be recreated here with a link to the page, and a name for the link. In the above example the link to "Monkey D. Luffy (Pre-TImeskip)" has a simple name of "Pre-Timeskip". The end result will be formatted like this: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Monkey_D._Luffy

When adding the template to the pages, replace the Tab2 template with the new template in this format at the top of the page:

{{Monkey D. Luffy}}

If any pages are locked and you cannot add the new template to them, post in this thread so that a member of staff can update the page.

For staff members creating these new templates, be sure to protect them so only registered users can edit them. For particularly important characters, such as Superman or Goku, locking the pages so only Admins can edit them may be necessary.

Assistance from both staff and experienced users will be necessary for this project as there are a large volume of pages to cover.

Last edited:
Quick question.

Will there be any issues using parentheses or other special characters in the template name, and if so, are there any specific workarounds for them?

Quick question.

Will there be any issues using parentheses or other special characters in the template name, and if so, are there any specific workarounds for them?
Some special characters might not be allowed but I can't think of any that will pose a problem at the moment. We'll have to deal with them as they come up but parentheses should be fine.

Anyway, Godzilla is likely the biggest problem to create a template for, given that the current tabbers are not currently all listed in the pages for every incarnation of the character.

@Antvasima; I may try to create a special template for Godzilla that can be divided up into sections since Godzilla has so many profiles.

I think we should concentrate on other profiles for now.

Okay. I personally think that all of the Godzilla pages can probably be included in a single template, given that the links will not take a lot of space anymore, but alright then.

Two questions:

I think that the yellow text looks rather out of place in the templates. Would it be possible to change it to white instead for all of them?

Also, should we add narrow blue borders between the page links instead of dots, to possibly make the templates look better? For example between "Comics" and "MCU" in the following page:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Ronan_the_Accuser_(Marvel_Cinematic_Universe)

Yeah, the yellow text can be made white but it was originally there to highlight the name.

I'm not sure that blue borders can be added as easily as just using the dots. I can check though. The dots seem fine to me personally anyway.

Thank you very much to everybody who are helping out.

I can go through and make sure that all have been modified so that only users with an account can edit them, and also change some to only admins can access. Some characters I will be unsure about, but I assume that if that if one of their regular pages has been locked, that should always apply to the template as well?

I can go through and make sure that all have been modified so that only users with an account can edit them, and also change some to only admins can access. Some characters I will be unsure about, but I assume that if that if one of their regular pages has been locked, that should always apply to the template as well?
I can make sure everything is set to Navbox also.

Thank you. That seems best, yes.

Somebody else added it.

Anyway, speaking of the Kirby template, the "Articles about Kirby" text seems to link to the template itself, instead of the word "Kirby". Which version should we use as a praxis? Or is it better to remove the technically redundant links from the "Articles about..." texts in general?

Somebody else added it.

Anyway, speaking of the Kirby template, the "Articles about Kirby" text seems to link to the template itself, instead of the word "Kirby". Which version should we use as a praxis? Or is it better to remove the technically redundant links from the "Articles about..." texts in general?
Originally I had the templates linking the main version of the character's article (or to disambiguation pages if applicable).

I think that somebody updated them so that they're now a shortcut to the Template page.

I don't mind either option since both have benefits, but whichever is most practical is what we should go with instead of no link.

Okay. Well, linking to the templates is more convenient for future editing of them, rather than using an extra redundant link to a character page for each of them.

So, I've gone through A-E and made sure that: The template type is a navbox, are at least protected so only autoconfirmed users can edit them, any templates have profiles that are admin locked are also admin locked.

Unfortunately there's no easy way to tell when a new template has been created, so I've created a list in a word doc and will have to check if there's been any new additions manually.

Is anyone else willing to check over the tabbers as well? I can handle A-E, but I don't want to have to monitor everything from A-Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back