• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Surface burst explosions.

I was testing a few things with this calculator and I noticed that optimized airburst explosions always produce explosions roughly 1.3x larger than a surface burst, and to produce an explosion of equivalent size via surface burst you'd need nearly 2.2x (1.3^3) more energy.

The airburst setting produces the same results as our own formula, so I think any surface explosions calculated by this formula should be multiplied by 2.2.

I believe this would probably also produce similar results to the other explosion equation Antoniofer suggested a while ago.

Just did a little test and the results aren't exact. A 100 kiloton explosion in the calculator produces a 1.3 km explosion whereas you need 112 kilotons to get 1.3 km from the new formula, so it seems there's a difference. The new formula is supposed to be a surface formula so I wonder why it's only 12% higher than the airburst formula.

Edit: Actually it looks like I ****** up the pressure value in Antoniofer's equation. Using the bar equivalent of 20 psi I get 176 kilotons which is more reasonable, but still considerably lower than the nuke calculator's result.

Back