• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Guidelines for Surface Explosions

I have unlocked it. Tell me here when you are done.

Prolly should change Room level to Small Building level.

EDIT: Done. Anything else left to do?

The guidelines for what overpressure value use depending of the destruction caused by the detonation. DontTalkDT never argued more about it, but I do not recall him directly opposing it, and few other users agreed with the concept.

The guidelines for what overpressure value use depending of the destruction caused by the detonation. DontTalkDT never argued more about it, but I do not recall him directly opposing it, and few other users agreed with the concept.
Can you write a more indepth, but preferably easy to understand, explanation please?

What, if anything, is left to do here?
Basically the various overpressure values we use for explosions based on what material the destroyed object was made out of.
Okay.

@DontTalkDT

If you find the time, would you be willing to help us out here please?

Hello there, I know this is a very old thread, but I'm asking here anyways since I don't find a answer anywhere else.

In This equation: ((x/0.28) ^3) /1000 (The Mid-air explosion) What's "0.28" stand for? Is this the pressure in psi?

Also while I'm at it. Do any one of you know how to calculate explosion in extremely low density environment? Like a vacuum, space or Earth low-orbit?

Thank you for your response in advance.

@DontTalkDT

Your help would still be appreciated here:

Or is there any other calc group member who has good suggestions regarding what we should do here?
I'm not a calc' group member, but for surface level explosion I know that 3,000 psi is enough to destroy most renforced missile bunkers and 30,000 to 300,000 psi is the common value to destroy steel. Depending of its general quality.

Thank you for helping out, Antoniofer.

Feel free to send me a message if you want your old calc group position back at some point.

The relationship is most likely not linear; the surface-level explosion calc is not linear if that works as reference for you.
Ah, too bad. I thought it would be possible to keep it linear with values lower than 20 psi (5 psi or lower) and values going into far higher than 0.28 would just switch "/" to "*" lol.

I imagine we have to find the unsimplified equation to made it work. Otherwise we are stuck with 20 psi airburst explosion.

The formula is mostly derived from the Nuke Calculator, at least, that's what DontTalkDT told me, said that there was a technique to uncovering the formula used by inspect searching or some shit, but I suck at coding so I wouldn't be able to give a straight answer.

The formula is mostly derived from the Nuke Calculator, at least, that's what DontTalkDT told me, said that there was a technique to uncovering the formula used by inspect searching or some shit, but I suck at coding so I wouldn't be able to give a straight answer.
Ah ok, gonna try to search for it then. Thanks!

I found it.

And the psi scaling for the simplified equation works like this :
  • 1 psi = 2.2
  • 3 psi = 1.0
  • 5 psi = 0.71
  • 10 psi = 0.45
  • 20 psi = 0.28

I found it.

And the psi scaling for the simplified equation works like this :
  • 1 psi = 2.2
  • 3 psi = 1.0
  • 5 psi = 0.71
  • 10 psi = 0.45
  • 20 psi = 0.28
We should probably add this to the explosions calculation page. There are some feats that involve shockwaves (which fall under air bursts) that cause minor damage that wouldn't fall under 20 psi.

Honestly, we should also establish guidelines for which psi to use for a given feat. This part should be pretty easy, as the website that has these psi values also has descriptions of what would fall under each psi value.

For reference, here is what each psi value describes:

1 psi: Window glass shatters. Light injuries from fragments occur.
3 psi: Residential structures collapse. Serious injuries are common, fatalities may occur.
5 psi: Most buildings collapse. Injuries are universal, fatalities are widespread.
10 psi: Reinforced concrete buildings are severely damaged or demolished. Most people are killed.
20 psi: Heavily built concrete buildings are severely damaged or demolished. Fatalities approach 100%.

We should probably add this to the explosions calculation page. There are some feats that involve shockwaves (which fall under air bursts) that cause minor damage that wouldn't fall under 20 psi.

Honestly, we should also establish guidelines for which psi to use for a given feat. This part should be pretty easy, as the website that has these psi values also has descriptions of what would fall under each psi value.

For reference, here is what each psi value describes:

1 psi: Window glass shatters. Light injuries from fragments occur.
3 psi: Residential structures collapse. Serious injuries are common, fatalities may occur.
5 psi: Most buildings collapse. Injuries are universal, fatalities are widespread.
10 psi: Reinforced concrete buildings are severely damaged or demolished. Most people are killed.
20 psi: Heavily built concrete buildings are severely damaged or demolished. Fatalities approach 100%.
I do not mind, but it depends on what other calc group members (and @DontTalkDT ) think.

Back