• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

SU 9-B Side Characters Downgrade

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
The justification for this profile is flawed: "Was only mildly inconvenienced by a refrigerator falling on him"

That's not a 9-B feat. It's not even a 9-C feat. Looking up the statistics of a fridge, the energy for it falling over is 113 kg x 1.70 m x 0.5 = 96.05 Joules. Now mind you, this is for an empty fridge, and a full one would likely edge into 10-A, but... that is still not a 9-B feat.

Mind you the barrel feat the profile also mentions might be higher, doesn't have a link so I can't tell.

Was the barrel destroyed? If so that would be 9-B unless it was really small

You had one chance to say "SUs 9-B side characters downgrade" and you didn't take it smh

Anyway, it wjll probably be better to ask some SU(s) supporters to see if they know it

As @Jaften pointed on Discord that doesn’t really work since she isn’t even fragging the whole wood section but just splitting the boards apart which regular humans can do

So the references for common feats page says that smashing a wooden barrel (just the wood) nets you 779,689.8701 Joules, which would be Wall level.

Unfortunately, this is assuming the wood gets entirely fragged, not merely snapped in two. Those would be different levels of destruction. And unfortunately, they are definitely only getting snapped in two in this feat. So I don't think it counts as conventional frag.

Meanwhile, my cursory research into board breaking (martial arts) gets me energy values between 5–30 joules per pine board broken.

I guess we figure out how many boards there are in a barrel and multiply that by the high end for snapping a board in two?

unknown.png

(I altered the brightness and contrast to make the planks stand out more)

My guess is that there's 16 planks on this barrel, which would give us between 80–480 Joules, 10-B to 9-C. Average would be 280 Joules, 10-A+.

Last edited:
oh yeah good point. Although, some of the barrels seem to break in more points than one so idk

oh yeah good point. Although, some of the barrels seem to break in more points than one so idk
Possibly, but also a lot of the planks just seem to disappear as well (inb4 "OMG VAPE!!!1!"), so we should just assume all the boards are broken in two instead of making it more complicated than it needs to be.

unknown.png

(I altered the brightness and contrast to make the planks stand out more)

My guess is that there's 16 planks on this barrel, which would give us between 80–480 Joules, 10-B to 9-C. Average would be 280 Joules, 10-A+.
It'd probably be best if you put this as an actual calc blog

I dunno man, a lot of the planks are clearly broken in two and generally shattering the entire thing with one blow would cause the energy to propagate from the barrel so it wouldn't be the same as karate chopping them individually. More importantly they're kept in place by the rings which would make altering the structure harder.

I dunno man, a lot of the planks are clearly broken in two and generally shattering the entire thing with one blow would cause the energy to propagate from the barrel so it wouldn't be the same as karate chopping them individually. More importantly they're kept in place by the rings which would make altering the structure harder.
If you have a better way to do it feel free to share. However, the reference calc is honestly a really high-ball result for what actually happens on screen.

Eh, I dunno, from what we see the whole thing is destroyed so I really do think that just frag of the barrel's wood works best here

Whole thing is destroyed
unknown.png

...You sure? Because it looks like for the most part the planks are intact, just half as large.

No? Almost all of the ones in view are broken.

That would make sense if they were hit vertically with a stick or something, but that's not what happened. The damage spread through the majority of the barrel's volume, just in an unrealistic way.

That would make sense if they were hit vertically with a stick or something, but that's not what happened. The damage spread through the majority of the barrel's volume, just in an unrealistic way.
Yeah, but fiction depicts the consequences of actions unrealistically plenty often, doesn't it? Yet don't we still use the results of what happened?

Anyway, if I understand right, are you trying to argue that the method of destruction on the barrel SHOULD have fragmented it into more than 2 pieces? Like, into splinters?
As opposed to what would happen to the barrel being what the show depicts, where the planks of it are snapped in half?

I don't even remember what I was arguing idrc anymore

Alright then. But clearly, other people in this thread seem opinionated, so it seems worthwhile to continue the discussion.... At the very least, the arguments provided put the barrel feat into question, even if what is most accurate isn't yet certain.

I guess what are the stances of the other users invested in this debate?
How do all you other folks feel?

I’d rather the barrel feat in SU be calced on its own as the planks clearly don’t fragment so

Connie wouldnt be affected by this, she still has 9-B feats of her own like cutting a car in half and matching low-difficulty holo-pearls that can cut trees in half with a balloon

But this feat isn't used for only Connie, no? It's used for Ronaldo & other generic humans, & even if not, if it's not accurate, & is being used in any capacity, it's important to determine what is accurate for it.

Besides, you say "Connie wouldn't be affected by this", but just because this wouldn't change her tier doesn't mean finding what's accurate for this isn't important.

Back