• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Star Wars Rock Destruction

Assaltwaffle

VS Battles
Retired
Well since we seem to be at odds in this blog as to what level of destruction to use, I decided to make this. There are three options for the calculation, V. Frag, Pulverization, and Vaporization. There are arguments for each of these which I will outline below.

• V. Frag: Pieces of small shattered rock are present in the third panel, and the ground looks like it has been broken where the blast is. Very safe low ball.
  • Pulverization: The rock is outright gone in the 4th shot. Aside from the broken area around it, the rock itself is just gone. Pretty solid mid.
  • Vaporization: Star Wars weaponry commonly uses heat and lasers, which would likely vaporize the rock if powerful enough. There is what looks to be like ashes coming down around the area, furthering this notion. A high ball, but one that does have evidence.
So, what should it be? I am bringing all the users who shared their opinion on the Blog post here.

I'm fine with either V.Fragging or Vaporization. V.Fragging because of the fragments blasted upwards from the crater and vaporization due to the fact it was a heat-based weapon that did the damage. Either way, AFAIK this is just a support feat.

According to Soldier this scaled to the Disney Canon characters, but I am not sure how. Either way it was requested and done as Priority 2.

Darkanine said:
I'm fine with either V.Fragging or Vaporization. V.Fragging because of the fragments blasted upwards from the crater and vaporization due to the fact it was a heat-based weapon that did the damage. Either way, AFAIK this is just a support feat.
Yeah. As I explained in the blog's comment section, these cannons fire super hot plasma and there are other vaporization feats (including from much weaker weapons).

Assaltwaffle said:
According to Soldier this scaled to the Disney Canon characters, but I am not sure how. Either way it was requested and done as Priority 2.
Luke at this point was strong Padawan level. It'd scale to Ezra as of Season 3, the canon IG-100 MagnauGuards (they can trade blows with and hurt Luke), Karbin, the Astarte twins, fodder Inquisitors.

I'm bumping with this post making my case for the high end. So we can settle this.

Anyway, I wanted to bring up something I forgot to bring up earlier. It's how directed energy weapons in Star Wars are highly focused and their AP is often far higher than what one might estimate just at a glance.

Just look at starfighter laser cannons. They're all 7-C based on a calc for a feat from the AOTC film and numerous instances in canon of them being able to punch through the armour plating of vehicles with consistent Town level+ durability feats, such as the AT-AT (on two passes) and Kom'rk-class Fighter (with a single burst). And yet the most destruction we've seen them cause is vaporizing other starfighters.

It's the same story with handheld blasters. They're up in the 9-A range of power, with some models of blaster rifle having a setting which can vaporize a human and turn them into a pile of fine ash which can fit in a jar (as noted in the Aftermath novel). And yet we rarely see them causing this kind of destruction even when they're explicitly stated to be firing on the highest setting (such as in the Heir to the Jedi novel).

Then there are Class-A thermal detonators, which have a calc'ed yield of roughly 8 tons of TNT equivalent, but their AOE is far less than what you would expect from a 33 Gigajoule bomb, which points to highly focused energies in even explosives.

And then there are the infamous 100 Megaton Umbaran long range capital defence turret missiles (their yield was explicitly stated in the TCW animated series). But they don't cause explosions that look to be of that magnitude.

Given all this and the below canon vaporization feats, I hope I've made a good enough case to use vaporization here as well.

The larger, crewed, swivel-mounted gun bubbles on either side of the transport's midline swung around and opened fire with fat pulses of red plasma. "Widen your spacing," the squadron commander said over the comm. "Spacing!" A burst of red plasma caught one of the V-wings squarely and vaporized it.
~ Lords of the Sith

The answer came in the form of another salvo of blaster fire ripping overhead, narrowly skimming the top of the overturned zeezfruit cart that Solo had taken cover behind. Shards of masonry showered down, pieces of it vaporized into a fine dust that made him sneeze.
~Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo and Chewbacca Adventure

^ Bits of masonry being vaporized by normal handheld blasters.

Chewie roared and Solo heard the bowcaster's distinctive snap, catching in his periphery the flight of the long, slower-moving bolt launched from the weapon. The pillar the droid was hiding behind took the hit, but a significant chunk of the permacrete vaporized.

^ Vaporization of a large chunck of concrete like material from a weapon that is puny compared to the cannons of the gunboat in question.

The remaining fighters tried to split, two to port, one to starboard; Ematt opened up with the ventral turret, and a second TIE exploded into nothingness, vaporized by a direct hit.

Tarkin monitored the ground-feed holovids. The droid fighters were highly maneuverable but no match for Sentinel's powerful guns. The moon's storm-racked sky grew backlit with strobing flashes and globular detonations, as one after another of the ridge-backed tri-fighters and reconfigurable vultures was vaporized.
~Tarkin

I agree Vaporizations good, epecially since the SW verse makes heavy use of lasers and heat related weapons.

Back