• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Squall Leonhart possible abilities and magic additions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say mention the GFs that through their attacks use abilities that Squall can't access himself and those who are more powerful than end-game Squall.

If I am not mistaken, Durability Negation is more related how the attack will deal full damage regardless of the opponents defenses, effectively ignoring it, rather than messing with it. In the FF series many attacks explicitily treat the enemy's defense as 0, such as Ultima in FFVI, Bahamut and Knights of the Round in FFVII and the Celestial Weapons in X. Probably, VIII also has an attack like that and those would qualify more for that ability.

Statistics Reduction doesn't necesarily have to weaken all of the enemy's stats to be considered such. In the page itself it, the example given for Vali Lucifer, mentions how he deals especifically with attack power. And Meltdown does indeed affect the natural parameter of defense. So Meltdown would be something like "Defense Reduction (via Meltdown)" and link to Statistics Reduction.

Demi and junctioning Death to status attack negate durability though. Reducing your enemies defense to effectively zero is durability negation as well though? I think he should have both.

Hmm... I'd say Demi and Diablos' Dark Messenger are straight durability negation (though I don't know if the percent damage of the gravity spells is applicable or should be regarded as a gameplay mechanic, I raised the question but it hasn't been touched) . Also, both Bahamut and Eden ignore Spirit with their attacks, from what I get, that's akin to a piercing attack and thus those two should ignore durability as well.

Though this is just my own understanding of the technichality, it should be better to ask someone of the staff or knowledgeable members for clarification. But my thoughts:

I'd say that there are two different methods: bypassing durability and negating durability. Bypassing would mean that the attack circunvents durability because its effects aren't affected by it, while negation means it simply directly acts if durability wasn't there and deals full damage unimpended.

To put an example: compare Squall's Instant Death Junction Gunblade with Tidus' Caladbolg (which ignores the enemy's defense), and both try to hit a human enemy with Universal Level durability. Squall's attack will just be a poke, but will kill the enemy anyways due to the death hax, the durability was never a factor; while Tidus's attack will pierce through the defenses of the enemy, even though said enemy is much superior, and kill him because human's can't survive being cut by two, the durability would have been a factor, but the Caladbolg allowed Tidus to swat it aside.

I wouldn't say reducing the durability is durability negation. The "negation" part doesn't refer exactly to negate or nullify the durability with an ability, the definition on this site is: "The ability that allows users to damage the target, regardless of its durability", meaning the attack in itself will ignore Defense. Meltdown itself doesn't ignore defenses, its side effect reduces them and leaves the enemy weakened. That's why I believe it fits better as statistics reduction.

EDIT: I agree, Squall should get both Durability Negation and "can bypass Durability", but for different reasons. I think it's important to specify which abilities do what.

Just got home, and you make a pretty good point, I'll go ahead and make the changes now in regards to Meltdown to Statistics Reduction. In regards to Diablos that was another matter I wanted to know about. I could list the Gaurdian Forces' that he has on his profile already and their signature attacks under Notable attacks, similar to how this site lists Persona's. But should we open up the flood gates and do it for all of his Gaurdian Forces? I mean FFVIII is more involved with summons than any other main line FF games. Diablos in particular is Squall's most compatible GF. Should I put you down under agree once the changes are made?

Sure, I agree. Though, before making changes I'd ask admins and their opinion first to get proper permission for the changes. There should be no problem, but it's just to let them know about these revisions.

I don't think it's necessary to list all of the games' GFs, simply the most powerful ones like Eden, or the ones that have abilities that Squall otherwise doesn't have access to and can only use by summoning them. So, for example, it's not necessary to list Ifrit or Shiva given Squall is likely stronger than both of them by the endgame and has his own powerful ice and fire spells, but do bring up the abilities he gets only by junctioning them.

Or other possibility is to use tabs and just go all the way and list them all.

Can you write a summary of what you wish to change?

I listed a summary of the ability additions and their justifications above. I kept it as short as possible.

Transmutation, Statistics amplification, resistance to Status effect inducement, resistance to Death Manipulation/Elemental manipulation , Invulnerability, Biological Absorption, Energy Manipulation, Power Absorption, Spacial Manipulation, Power Nullification, Healing, Durability Negation, Information Analysis, Attack Reflection Minor Mind Manipulation

are the abilities that would be added

Basically everything that Blackcurrant had very nicely listed additions to powers/abilties as well as putting his Draw and Junction techniques under notable attacks. To add on top of that, I also request the adding of the following magic to his profile under notable attacks.

Blizzaga: Summons a massive ice meteor and throws it at a foe dealing heavy ice damage

Thundaga: Strikes the foe with a barrage of lightning bolts dealing heavy lightning damage.

Aeroga: Summons a burst of wind around the foe then strikes the foe to deal heavy wind damage

Esuna: Removes Harmful status effects.

Curaga: Can restore a large amount of his HP.

Regen: Squall can grant himself or others Regenerationn.

Death: Squall summons a reaper from a small void, and the reaper strikes the foe with its scythe, instantly killing them unless they are able to dodge it or have reisistant or immunity to instant death attacks.

Demi: Crushes the foe in an orb of gravity and reduces their HP by half.

Aura: A spell that allows Squall to access his Limit Break state freely.

Silence: Prevents the foe from casting spells.

Sleep: Puts the foe to sleep.

Scan: Scans the foe revealing the target's weaknesses, HP, and level.

Shell: Creates a barrier that increases magic defense

Reflect: Generates a barrier that reflects Magic Attacks

Bio: Strikes the foe with many poison orbs dealing poison damage and inflicting poison status ailigment.

Pai: Prevents the foe from attacking

Stop: Stops time for an enemy.

Card: Squall can transmutate his enemies and turn them into Triple Triad Cards, leaving them defenseless.

Meteor: Squall transports the foe to another dimension and causes them to get bombarded with meteors for a brief period of time.

Meltdown: Shoots a powerful wave of scorching air dealing fire and wind damage, and reduces the foe's defense.

Holy: Squall bombards the foe with a barrage of light orbs deals heavy light damage

Ultima: Squall draws in large amounts of magical energy and unleashes in a massive explosion upon the enemy, dealing massive nonelemental damage.

Apocolypse: Drawn from the sorceress Ultimecia. It is the single mightiest offensive spell, creating magical sigils that erupt in a catastrophic burst of light, dealing twice the damage of Ultima, which was thought to be the strongest spell by most magic users.

I think that it probably seems fine based on my memories of the game.

Hey Ant, can I ask your opinion on this. It's probably me reaching but during the end of the game this happens

'With no sense of belonging to, or being attached to anywhere, he became lost in time after the time compressio began to unravel. As Squall traverses the landscape, gradually getting more tired, the land disappears behind him until he becomes stranded on a small piece of land floating within the void. As his memories begin to be warped, he is saved by Rinoa Heartilly, who retrieves him and brings him back to his world.

In the Japanese version, Ultimecia describes the time compression in a more detailed manner than in the English version, explaining the party's very existences will be absorbed by the time compression causing them agony as their thoughts would be ripped apart with their memories fading away leaving them unable to do, think or feel anything, giving a more thorough explanation to what Squall is experiencing within the void.

The final battle against Ultimecia also takes place in a void-like realm, as Ultimecia is in the process of absorbing all existence.'

could it be said Squall has a degree of resistance to Void Manipulation/Memory errasure/Existance Errasure? and by proxy Ultimecia would gain those abilities as well? again I could be reaching.

I do not think so. We should preferably avoid speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back