• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Speed of Electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not think that the Lightning Dodging Feat page needs to be updated too much, as the lightning dodging page only refers to cloud-to-ground lightning.

Pretty sure that there are major differences regarding how electricity from electrical appliances and actual cloud-to-ground lightning work.

Lina Shields said:
I do not think that the Lightning Dodging Feat page needs to be updated too much, as the lightning dodging page only refers to cloud-to-ground lightning.
Pretty sure that there are major differences regarding how electricity from electrical appliances and actual cloud-to-ground lightning work.
I don't believe I'm getting the math right so I'm just going to leave this here.

You said to use Mach 11.75 - 12 because of electrical appliances.

"'The electricity which flows through the wires in your homes and appliances travels much slower: only about 1/100 th the speed of light"

...Are we sure 1/100th the Speed of Light is not faster than Mach 12? Sorry. I'm just confused but trying to help.

Thank you. ^ I was trying to figure that out. This is my first time doing calculations/conversions so I was removing replies because I wasn't sure I was correct.

Anyway, if it's Mach 88. Why are we using Mach 12 to base off the speed of electricity in appliances?

The example that I did in my calc was electricity flowing through air, not through a wire.

Electricity flowing through air is different from electricity flowing through a wire, as the resistance of air is much greater than the resistance inside the wiring.

This would cause the speed of electricity to slow down.

Pretty much what Lina said, as the vast majority of feats reacting to electricity revolve around it being dodged in an Earth-like atmosphere.

The point of me doing that calc was to prove that electricity from machines traveling through air =/= speed of actual lightning from the sky.

Why my calc did not result in anywhere close to 60km/s as some people here are suggesting is still a mystery however.

Lina's calc got so low because Tesla's gun was really weak compared to modern guns that fire electricity.

It can still be used as a low end.

@Matthew Schroeder

That OBD person was me, however that was for a weapon that was specifically said to fire domesticated lightning, not just any electrical weapon.

Is there an experiment that uses a stronger gun that fires electricity? Perhaps a speed could be found from that instead?

@Lina Shields

If I knew of any, I'd bring it up.

Firing electricity through air makes no sense in real life as it isn't practical.

I could suggest to make more experiments like Lina did, intead of basing in one simple calc of one gun than has an specific tension, we should calculate several examples to come to a conclusion like scientifics do; at the end, lightning speed weren't found in one simple calc from one discharge.

60 km/s, or 224000 km/h, is the minimal speed of a lightning bolt, there hasn't been any registered muzzle speed for tesla coil gun.

Personaly, I think it would be better if we still consider electricity as unquantificable speed, or at most use the lower end from Lina's calc; tesla coil exist since, like, 100 years or so? And any research facility nor university group hasn't registered this kind of things, and we aren't any of that groups.

Antoniofer said:
Personaly, I think it would be better if we still consider electricity as unquantificable speed, or at most use the lower end from Lina's calc;

This was the point that the tesla coil gun calculation was trying to make here, as forms of electricity from electrical appliances/non-cloud to ground lightning does not automatically guarantee that they are moving at lightning speed.

Since the distance Electricty runs trough the air depends on the voltage I would say the speed depends on voltage as well,which is why the lightning has such a high speed in confront to the calculation from tesla's gun.

Hmm. I hope that we don't have to start reevaluating a large part of the profiles scaled from lightning-dodging feats. It would be extremely hard to manage.

Antvasima said:
Hmm. I hope that we don't have to start reevaluating a large part of the profiles scaled from lightning-dodging feats. It would be extremely hard to manage.
I don't think so. Most profiles like those are scaled from natural lightning, not electrical weapons.

The calculation where Ocelot reacts to Volgin's electricity [in which the speed of most of Metal Gear profiles are based on] does not need to be changed either.

If there's a problem with calculating characters' speeds again, just multiply their current speed by the ratio of current speed/previous speed of electricity/lightning/whatever. Mathematically it should be correct, as it's literally just changing one value.

Has there never been studies done on lightning leaders to determine if the velocity is dependent on charge/current/volt/amp/etc?

@Weekly: Feel free to make a decision on this topic if you want, although my thoughts on this topic is that

• speed of electricity from machines does not automatically equal to the speed of cloud-to-ground lightning.
It would be appreciated if Antoniofer or a different calc member can post experiment videos regarding the speed of electricity from electrical appliances, and I can do a calc on those.

I know I'm necro-ing this thread but according to: http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=2910 the speed of electricity is 1% the speed of light.

The whole explaination is here: Another principle of physics is that Light and Electricity are the SAME THING. Electricity is just Light guided along wires. (Sort of.)

But this "guiding" of light along the wires makes it slow down little.

Answer 3: Light travels through empty space at 186,000 miles per second. The electricity which flows through the wires in your homes and appliances travels much slower: only about 1/100 th the speed of light. Part of the reason is that light is massless; it has no weight, whereas the electricity flowing in the wires is made up of a stream of electrons, all of which have some small amount of weight. In addition, the electrons flowing through the wires constantly bump into the atoms of the wire, which slows them down considerably. If you were to take the electrons out of the wire and make them flow through space (which is essentially what you do when you make a spark), they can move faster, but no matter what, they cannot move as fast light.

I thought that electricity was electrons, and light photons.

Curiously shouldn't lightning be faster than normal under certain circumstances? Ground to cloud lightning is far faster than the norm, up to 30% Light Speed. Or so I've read.

Antvasima said:
I thought that electricity was electrons, and light photons.
Theyre both electromagnetic particles so they share similar properties, and have only small differences like speed and mass.

A more scientific answer would be that photons fit in a completely different family of elementary particles than electrons. Electrons belong to the lepton family, photons belong to the Bozon family (force messenger particles).

I think the reason why it says that is because photons are created from the quantum leaps of electrons anyway.

I.E. an electron makes a quantum leap from an outer shell to an inner shell, then a photon of a certain frequency (depending on how big the "leap" is) is emitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back