• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Speed Equalization Multiplier?

FinePoint

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Image Helper
I could've sworn I made this thread already, but now I can't find it. Oh well.
The Versus Thread Rules currently reads:
"The combat speed of that faster character is assumed to be equalized to the combat speed of the slower character. Every other speed the faster character has is reduced by the same multiplier. This includes the speed of any attacks, projectiles, reactions, perception, flight etc."

The way this is worded, all other speeds are reduced by the same multiplier as the faster character's combat speed reduction.

Under this assumption, you could have the following situation:
Character A has 20 combat speed, and 10 travel speed, and 10 projectile speed
Character B has 10 combat speed, and 10 travel speed, and 10 projectile speed
Therefore, Character A needs a 1/2 multiplier, making the new ratings:
Character A has 10 combat speed, and 5 travel speed, and 5 projectile speed
Character B has 10 combat speed, and 10 travel speed, and 10 projectile speed

So you have the character who was equal in many categories before, now 2x slower than his opponent in those categories.
This seems completely counter-productive to the point of speed equalization. Is this really the way we do it?
If it's not, I feel the wording currently there is extremely misleading.

That is indeed the way it works.
So, if a character has FTL combat speeds but normal projectiles, does being equalized against a character who is only regular human make their projectiles basically not move at all?
That doesn't seem right.

That's messed up. What's the point in equalizing speed if it actually makes the speed less equal?
Just, don't equalize speed in a case like that. There is a good reason why it works that way.
So, if a character has FTL combat speeds but normal projectiles, does being equalized against a character who is only regular human make their projectiles basically not move at all?
That doesn't seem right.
That sounds like a really rare case but yeah that's how it would work.
Unfortunately the characters who really benefit from this are characters with stands, for example jotaro has super human combat speed but MFTL+ reactions and stand combat speed. And speed equal rules make him blitz pretty much everyone he fights.

Just, don't equalize speed in a case like that. There is a good reason why it works that way.
But if the numbers were more extreme, then you wouldn't have a choice.
This question came to me after doing a match with Shuckle (basically immobile but pretty fast ranged attacks)
And his opponent didn't have any range, meaning equalizing speed forced his opponent to face-tank everything for a while.
However, if speed was unequal Shuckle gets blitzed.

It creates a stomp for different characters based on speed either way.
Unfortunately the characters who really benefit from this are characters with stands, for example jotaro has super human combat speed but MFTL+ reactions and stand combat speed. And speed equal rules make him blitz pretty much everyone he fights.
To me, that seems like a massive oversight. Equalizing speed should prevent stomping via speed, that's its whole purpose.
Though, isn't there a rule that you can't win via a speed amp which leads to a blitz against a faster character?

To be fair if the logic that it's used to argument that stands blitz everything is used then any summoner with a summon already summoned when begin the match would be a blitz, in other words, by that logic Ash with Pikachu it's a blitz or most not combat oriented masters of Fate with a servant would be a blitz, and so far from all the mods I asked and have answered so far (DarkDragonMedeus and AKM sama) they say that shouldn't be the case, with AKM sama even calling that a pretty silly scenario.

But if the numbers were more extreme, then you wouldn't have a choice.
This question came to me after doing a match with Shuckle (basically immobile but pretty fast ranged attacks)
And his opponent didn't have any range, meaning equalizing speed forced his opponent to face-tank everything for a while.
However, if speed was unequal Shuckle gets blitzed.

It creates a stomp for different characters based on speed either way.

To me, that seems like a massive oversight. Equalizing speed should prevent stomping via speed, that's its whole purpose.
Though, isn't there a rule that you can't win via a speed amp which leads to a blitz against a faster character?
To be fair if the logic that it's used to argument that stands blitz everything is used then any summoner with a summon already summoned when begin the match would be a blitz, in other words, by that logic Ash with Pikachu it's a blitz or most not combat oriented masters of Fate with a servant would be a blitz, and so far from all the mods I asked and have answered so far (DarkDragonMedeus and AKM sama) they say that shouldn't be the case, with AKM sama even calling that a pretty silly scenario.
That's true, I think the speed equalization rules need to be tweaked. Mainly, the speed that gets equalized need to be the main speed that affects the match. For example speed should be equalized to stands not the stand user.

Go ask Reaper since he is the one preaching this notion for Stands lol

That's true, I think the speed equalization rules need to be tweaked. Mainly, the speed that gets equalized need to be the main speed that affects the match. For example speed should be equalized to stands not the stand user.
I mean, I feel like a thread to add a rule to summon battles to clarify that would be good but currently I'm making a crt (which with the pc have been taking 3 days make the crt, like, I already have the content but add it to the site is taking forever) so I'm not gonna do it soon, maybe when it's accepted.
Go ask Reaper since he is the one preaching this notion for Stands lol
I mean, I already talked about it in the Raiden (the Mortal Combat one) thread and commented in his wall, just in case I'm asking some mods but so far no one think that's the case.

Back