• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Soul Regeneration | Powers and Abilties

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemiiPowa

She/Her
VS Battles
Calculation Group
The purpose of this thread is to propose a new Power/Ability page, Soul Regeneration.

There are characters in fiction that have the ability to heal damage to their soul, similarly to Regeneration, but purely soul or spiritual based. First let's go over the main things that separate this power from the ability some may feel like it should be grouped up with; Regeneration.

Regeneration:​

As stated on the Regeneration Ability Page:
Statements or feats of regeneration in which characters are able to survive as long as a part of their existence, such as their souls or minds, remain intact, or that involve the regeneration of a non-physical aspect of the body while the body itself remains intact, do not warrant godly levels of regeneration due to involving resurrection rather than the complete destruction and reforming of both the physical and non-physical aspects of a body, which is a fundamental requirement to qualify.
The regeneration page tells us that that regenerative abilities that only heal aspects of the body that are non physical, such as the soul, do not grant things such as the higher levels of regeneration due to the fact that the hard requirement is that it must reform both the physical and non-physical aspects of the body. This makes regeneration purely tied to physical regeneration, in the sense that it is the only way that type of regeneration can be listed.

The proposal for Soul Regeneration separates itself from this by detailing that the character can in-fact regenerate the non physical aspect of their body, the soul alone, which means a character should not have to be a minimum of Mid-Godly level regeneration to list their ability to regenerate "lower quantities" of the soul on their page.

"If a character can regenerate their soul, wouldn't it be better to just list it alongside Regeneration on the profile?"
No. As stated earlier, the minimum requirement for soul regeneration to be considered at all is for it to be completely erased, which in turn would also regenerate the body, tying it to a physical regenerative power. As different fictional verses have different levels of potency, it would be very difficult if not nigh-impossible to judge the potency of spiritual damage done in one verse to another (ie: A person's soul getting cut in half vs Someone's Soul being shattered into pieces); It's arbitrary and as such shouldn't be addressed as damaging a soul can't conventionally be quantified up until the entire soul itself has been regenerated from nothing, which would objectively be more impressive than anything unquantifiably lower.

The Soul Regeneration Ability I'm proposing is objectively less impressive than Mid-Godly level regeneration, but it is a way to apply a type of cardinality to being able to repair damage to the soul.

To conclude, I believe the ability to regenerate damage to the soul should have it's own page. In my sandbox, I've created an example of what the page itself could look like, along with a few character's that already have the ability; I am open to any changes and discussion.
The Knight (Their SOUL is liquid-like and can be restored/emptied)
Frisk (Regenerated their SOUL being split in half)
Kaladin Stormblessed (Can regenerate from damage dealt by Shardblades, which target the soul)
Shigeo Kageyama (Regenerated from having his spiritual self torn apart)

I don't see why this can't just be another aspect for a different regen level. That is what this is only its with the soul. Seems very unnecessary otherwise.

I've always seen this "regenerate only the soul" thing as some kind of limited Regeneration or something. I saw around that it could be a kind of resurrection too.

I don't see why this can't just be another aspect for a different regen level. That is what this is only its with the soul. Seems very unnecessary otherwise.
I wouldn't mind if we reworked the current regeneration add this as a new level of regeneration. If not, I think soul regeneration being its own thing makes since since its purely soul based.

I've always seen this "regenerate only the soul" thing as some kind of limited Regeneration or something. I saw around that it could be a kind of resurrection too.
Our current regeneration standards mention that soul stuff only really matters when its purpose is to regenerate the physical body, instead of just regenerating the damage done to the soul, excluding mid-godly of course

I agree with this, since nobody has bothered to make a conclusive answer as to what regenerating just the soul would be under normal VSBW regen rules. I've seen mid-godly, low-godly, limited versions of both, all from different staff members. So making an entirely new page for it is a fine concept.

That being said, how exactly would we treat this for things extending beyond the soul, like the mind or a concept?

I wouldn't mind if we reworked the current regeneration add this as a new level of regeneration. If not, I think soul regeneration being its own thing makes since since its purely soul based.
Tbf, regen of the soul is also applicable for soul manipulation.

Regenerating just the soul and not the body would be low-godly, it would just be a really weird and usually unhelpful version of it. Souls don't tend to have vital structures and stuff so I find it better to just note alongside regeneration whatever something like "can restore from non total damage inflicted to the soul" rather than an entirely new power page being made.

Doesn't our current regeneration page covers that?
Regenerating just the soul and not the body would be low-godly, it would just be a really weird and usually unhelpful version of it. Souls don't tend to have vital structures and stuff so I find it better to just note alongside regeneration whatever something like "can restore from non total damage inflicted to the soul" rather than an entirely new power page being made.
Statements or feats of regeneration in which characters are able to survive as long as a part of their existence, such as their souls or minds, remain intact, or that involve the regeneration of a non-physical aspect of the body while the body itself remains intact, do not warrant godly levels of regeneration due to involving resurrection rather than the complete destruction and reforming of both the physical and non-physical aspects of a body, which is a fundamental requirement to qualify.

The page doesn't talk so specifically about the subject and it talks about the resurrection.

If it just continues as regeneration, wouldn't it be nice to detail more about that part on the page? Put a concrete point on this.

based on the regeneration page itself:
Low-Godly: The ability to regenerate from the complete physical destruction of the user's body, instead restoring it from their disembodied consciousness, whether that be their soul, mind, some other non-physical aspect of themself, esoteric or metaphysical energy, or something else
There is no mention of regenerating damage or injuries that purely affect the soul such as the feats from the character I listed in the post. Low Godly regeneration is when a character is regenerating their physical body from something else that exists (Mind, Soul etc.); The Soul Regeneration I'm proposing is purely soul-based and isn't covered by low godly on the Regeneration page.

I've been adding two types of regeneration on profiles that had soul regeneration since this is a common enough power in the novels I read. Ex. "High, as he can regenerate his body from molecules. Mid, can regenerate his soul after being split in half."

I've been adding two types of regeneration on profiles that had soul regeneration since this is a common enough power in the novels I read. Ex. "High, as he can regenerate his body from molecules. Mid, can regenerate his soul after being split in half."
I don’t think splitting a soul in half can be quantified as splitting a body in the same way

Low-Godly: The ability to regenerate from the complete physical destruction of the user's body, instead restoring it from their disembodied consciousness, whether that be their soul, mind, some other non-physical aspect of themself, esoteric or metaphysical energy, or something else
It has been mentioned. Also for my own opinion, I would link to create a sub point under low-Godly and simply link the page you created there.

It has been mentioned. Also for my own opinion, I would link to create a sub point under low-Godly and simply link the page you created there.
I wouldn't because it's not similar to low godly, which is regenerating your physical body from an existing soul. That's not the ability im proposing

Then-- it sounds like soul manipulation for me (healing your own damaged soul ?)

Then-- it sounds like soul manipulation for me (healing your own damaged soul ?)
we dont count mid-godly regen as soul manipulation and you regenerate your entire soul from nothing, along with your body. At minimum, I think it should a new level of regen on the regeneration page if not its own thing

What I am trying to say is this is a sub-ability from soul manipulation as you are regenerating/manipulating your soul.

Yeah, if you can regenerate your soul but not your body, then either that can be listed as resurrection... or as "Regeneration (Can regenerate their soul)" or something. There is no need to be inflexible when it comes to using the existing pages just as long as you make clear what is meant.

Also note how the page says it doesn't give "godly" regeneration, not that it isn't regeneration at all.

Yeah, if you can regenerate your soul but not your body, then either that can be listed as resurrection... or as "Regeneration (Can regenerate their soul)" or something. There is no need to be inflexible when it comes to using the existing pages just as long as you make clear what is meant.

Also note how the page says it doesn't give "godly" regeneration, not that it isn't regeneration at all.
Can we at least update the current regeneration page then? The current version doesn't state anything about regeneration soul-only damage, where it isn't completely eradicated.

Can we at least update the current regeneration page then? The current version doesn't state anything about regeneration soul-only damage, where it isn't completely eradicated.
Well, what do you want to add specifically?

So, what level of regen is it then?

Well, what do you want to add specifically?
Even though I don't think it should share a page with Regeneration, since it's not physical based regeneration, I'd go with:

Regeneration:

Spiritual/Soul: The ability to regenerate soul or spirit based wounds. This is simply when a character can regenerate actual damage done to the soul, such as it being punctured, split in half, cut into pieces etc. This is not regenerating from the soul being completely eradicated, as some form of the soul still exists, and is only the regeneration of the soul, not the physical body.

None in particular. Not all regeneration needs a level. The levels exist to make listing easier. If there is a weird edge case, just explain what the regeneration does.
The thing about that is, we cant really quantify physical regeneration on the same level as soul-based regen. Ie: Splitting a soul in half isn't the same as splitting a person in half, because there's no way to quantify how potent of a regeneration level that is compared to the latter.

This is why I suggested for it to be its own page initially.

Even though I don't think it should share a page with Regeneration, since it's not physical based regeneration, I'd go with:

Regeneration:

Spiritual/Soul: The ability to regenerate soul or spirit based wounds. This is simply when a character can regenerate actual damage done to the soul, such as it being punctured, split in half, cut into pieces etc. This is not regenerating from the soul being completely eradicated, as some form of the soul still exists, and is only the regeneration of the soul, not the physical body.
Eh, a whole subtype?
I personally would just go with a note that reads along the lines of:
If a character's ability to regenerate is limited to certain conditions, the character page should provide a detailed explanation of those circumstances. If the character can only regenerate from damage that is covered by a higher type of regeneration, but not from damage that should be included in a lower type, the page should list the lowest type for which all qualifiers are fulfilled or none, if not even Low Regeneration is fulfilled. The extend of the regeneration should then be explained by an additional note.
For example, if a character can regenerate from having their head destroyed but not from having their heart destroyed, they would be listed as having Low-Mid regeneration and the page would explain that the character can regenerate from head damage as long as their heart remains intact. If a character can only regenerate damage to their soul but not their body, their page would explain that they have soul-specific regeneration and list no type. Similarly, if a character can regenerate their concept but not their body, their page would list them as having regeneration with an explanation that it is concept-specific and no type.
(Maybe with better writing)
Like, the fundamental problem here isn't soul specific. There are a number of cases where a character has limited regeneration like that. Instead of making a subtype for each one, as solution of "if your character is weird just say so" seems much easier.

I fixed a few minor grammatical errors in this draft. Here is the updated one:
If a character's ability to regenerate is limited to certain conditions, the character page should provide a detailed explanation of those circumstances. If the character can only regenerate from damage that is covered by a higher type of regeneration, but not from damage that should be included in a lower type, the page should list the lowest type for which all qualifiers are fulfilled, or none if not even Low Regeneration is fulfilled. The extent of the regeneration should then be explained in an additional note.

For example, if a character can regenerate from having their head destroyed but not from having their heart destroyed, they would be listed as having Low-Mid regeneration. The page would explain that the character can regenerate from head damage as long as their heart remains intact. If a character can only regenerate damage to their soul but not their body, their page would explain that they have soul-specific regeneration and list no type. Similarly, if a character can regenerate their concept but not their body, their page would list them as having regeneration with an explanation that it is concept-specific and has no type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back