• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Some potentially good material for character profile pictures

ArbitraryNumbers

VS Battles
Retired
https://yare-yare-dong.deviantart.com/gallery/

This guy named Yare-Yare-Dong makes some really cool HD pictures, which seem to be of posed 3-D models ripped directly from their sources.

He's made some pictures for many verses like Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, Star Wars, JoJo, Overwatch, Mortal Kombat, Metal Gear Rising, etc.

You'll have to render the pictures (which shouldn't be hard because most of the backgrounds are single-color), but I think a lot of them would look really nice on profiles here.

Senator Armstrong's profile used a render of one of Yare's works and did not credit him, but I fixed that.

I cannot find his policy on people using his stuff, so if anybody can ask, then please get on that. I currently have issues logging into my own Deviantart account.

He seems to make a good job with the pictures, but I don't think that we should use 3-D pictures for cartoon/anime characters.

As usual, you have to give credit if you use images from Deviantart artists and similar.

IMO I prefer just using official sources, not fan rips. If there's nothing better, I can see that, but something like the JoJo pages are fine with how they're official pictures of the official models from the official companies that produced the material, if that makes sense.

Some of those model poses are also a bit stiff, but that's just my interpretation of it.

I too prefer the original art, or at least, official art, instead of fan works that make their own spin on the design.

I tend to prefer official art as well, but it depends from case to case.

As far as I can tell, he doesn't make new models, but instead poses official models in Source Filmmaker. So in a way, it is official art, just in a higher quality.

Sometimes using fanart is a must for more obscure series. Outside of some very low quality sprites and portraits, Koh literally has no official art at all for example.

Darkanine said:
So in a way, it is official art, just in a higher quality.
I don't see how that works. If you ask me, this may look better than this to someone, but does that justify changing the image if the official one alone already suffices?

I know that fanart is needed for obscure characters, but I'm talking about the sense of replacement.

Oh no. I agree with you there, I don't think we should replace official art with fanart.

I think it's best to stick with official art unless a particular franchise doesn't really have any high quality images outside of fanart. Novel originated characters who never appeared in movie and/or TV adaptations would be a perfect example of when well made fanart could be used under having that said artist's permission and credit.

Back