• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

(Skylanders) Spyro & Cynder Downgrades

I was researching to see if Malefor, Spyro, & Cynder were the same as the ones from Legend of Spyro so I could support the idea of 5-A Skylanders. I finally got around to finding my answer, & it seems they're not the same, & thus aren't 5-A.

I found a record of a Q&A on Deviantart here, & one of the answers says that Malefor in Skylanders is not the same as LoS Malefor. If the connections have no support, I'd suggest changing our Spyro & Cynder profiles to be 7-B instead of 5-A.

Um...no. There are multiple direct tie-ins from Legend of Spyro that almost flat out state that the Malefor in Skylanders is the same as the Malefor from LoS, right down to Malefor saying that Spyro has defeated Malefor in the past even though Spyro doesnt remember as he has amnesia

Spyro defeating Malefor in the past doesn't point to them being the same. The Q&A directly states the Skylanders Malefor is different from LoS Malefor, & if you question the legitimacy of the Q&A, you could say that.

Also, didn't Spyro fight Malefor with the help of Cynder? If Spyro doesn't remember defeating Malefor, that means he probably did it before he met Cynder, which would imply a different continuity.

If I'm wrong in anything I'm saying, do let me know.

It kinda does as it implies Skylanders takes place after Legends of Spyro. Also, this is directly from the Q&A:

"What is exactly the continuity with the interactions with Malefor? No need for specifics - but did Cynder get defeated first, then Hex beat Malefor, or the other way around, or something else entirely?

So, the timeline, as I understand it, is as follows. Malefor's minions steal Cynder's egg and he raises her to be super evil. She is later defeated by Spyro and freed from Malefor's control. Then, some time later, Malefor sets his sights on Hex and is soundly defeated."

That first part is exactly what happened in Legend of Spyro, to a T, and its included in the timeline with Hex defeating Malefor after Spyro did. In fact, reading through the Q&A, most of his responses regarding Malefor are like this.

But what about this?:

Why did Malefor decide he was going to rule Skylands instead of destroy it, like his "The Legend of Spyro" self would've? Also to add on to that question, does Malefor still feel the need to "bring about the great cleansing" and destroy the world to bring about a new world's birth?

While they obviously share many things and have lots in common, Skylanders Malefor is his own character, with his own motivations and desires that are separate from his LoS counterpart. This Malefor has suffered defeat at the hands of the Skylanders one too many times for his liking and he won't be happy until he's crowned above all of them.

They literally state directly that this Malefor is different.

>One too many times

Malefor literally fought the skylanders once, his fight with spyro and hex were pre skylanders

Getting help from past developers doesn't warrant a connection. It's as simple as this, "While they obviously share many things and have lots in common, Skylanders Malefor is his own character, with his own motivations and desires that are separate from his LoS counterpart."

The way I see it, this statement is enough to debunk any connections.

Q: The description for the graphic novel said that Malefor was a purple dragon like Spyro but, it was never mentioned during the story arc. Is there a reason for that?

A: There was no specific reason it wasn't mentioned. Spyro and Malefor's Skylander history is intact. But with SO much going on in the RoTD story arc, we thought it best to keep the main arc of Malefor's return and revenge streamlined and even then we could barely fit it in the book! The main reason it was mentioned on the graphic novel description at all was so that fans would know that we were officially bringing Malefor into the Skylanders universe.

Q: Were there any ideas that didn't get into the story arc or ones that Activision said no to?

A: Activision was totally behind the Malefor story arc and were very excited that we were fleshing out what started in those three bios in the very first Skylanders game. We were pretty much given free reign to resurrect the character and make him as awesome as possible.

And you know, destructive.

Exceedingly destructive.

He literally says that their history is the same, even referring to it as the return of Malefor. That coulped with the fact that the team that developed Legend of Spyro played a major role in the comic arc with Malefor, their background is cut and paste the events of Legend of Spyro, and there are multiple allusions to Legend of Spyro throughout the comic almost blatantly confirms its the same entity

Alright, for now I'm gonna take your word for it. I'll probably do a bit more research & come to my conclusion.

I'm a little late in this but I'm also agreeing with Weekly. If everything in the backstory implies it's the same Spyro, then it's safer to assume it is the same Spyro rather then an alternate Spyro with the same exact history. If theirs definitive prove the latter is true however, I would agree with the revisions.

@Dark Its to the point where Malefor literally says that Spyro defeated him in the past, but spyro doesn't remember such a thing happening doe to having severe amnesia, and the timeline of events concerning malefor is a copy paste of the events of Legend of Spyro with Hex defeating Malefor on her own some time after spyro defeated him and lost his memories

Back