• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Should superman be upgraded to universal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see, I shall ask Sandman and Matt about it when I have time.

We talk.about consistency but supermans powers do rise as he learned how to control them. Much like how new 52 started with being unable to fly so why dont we look at supermans potential to get stronger.

But pre-training Superman was notably worse feat wise than post training Superman. So an extra key would just be for a lower tier.

Learning how to use their powers isn't entirely the same things as growing stronger. Also Superman's power often fluctuates, he goes back and forth from stronger and weaker based on how much solar radiation he has stored up. And to be fair, his portrayals that are lower than 4-B are even more consistent, but we usually pass those as PIS. In fact, that's where all his power comes from is the yellow sun; without yellow or blue stars, Superman would at best be Batman's level.

And while All Star isn't entirely canon, it is branched from the Post-Crisis continuity and a pretty accurate portrayal of Superman's absolute peak. He was to perform super casual Large Star level feats and is stated to be stronger than before, but to an unknown extent. But there's another weakness, spending too much time inside the center of the sun eventually gave him cancer, which in turn supposedly "killed him".

Well, it is in this case. As Superman placed mental limits on all of his abilities. The one single time the mental limits came off before his training was against Doomsday.

> And to be fair, his portrayals that are lower than 4-B are even more consistent, but we usually pass those as PIS

This sentence reads extremly weird to me. Why not just say the site takes his typical higher ends into accout rather than dismiss consistency?

It's not dismissing consistency, just that Superman has frequently struggled to do things below Tier 4 before, but that's off topic.

> It's not dismissing consistency, just that Superman has frequently struggled to do things below Tier 4 before

But that is consistency if ifs frequent. I'm not suggesting a downgrade, I just find your justifications a bit weird since it can be flipped to support Tier 3 or 2 Superman: "And to be fair, his portrayals that are lower than Low 2-C are even more consistent, but we usually pass those as PIS."

Just saying "We take his consistent 4-B higher ends into account" fits better as a reasoning imo.

We have tried to find a balance between his lower and high end feats. He does have some feats at a 4-B level, which is far higher than his usual displays, but any feats higher than that have been unreliable, outliers, or via standard extremely inconsistent superhero comicbook power-scaling.

It was the computer that had infinite memory, and it's not even related to the book. That computer still confirmed that the book had an end.

Well, it can be done in the future but I believe the rule against making CRTs to upgrade Superman should be more elaborated. People without our experience will feel quite unsatisfied reading it. Just that.

Yes, that's why I suggested a detailed blog post for the discussion rule. But anyway, I do think the question on this thread is just about answered, so we could close it. Though Discussion rule could be made as well as a foot note explaining Superman's tier.

As for the discussion rule, I agree with DDM's suggession. If we want to add a footnote to his page, it can be something like this:

I have done so. If everything looks fine, we can probably close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back