• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Should Semi-Composite be a legit term?

Allow me to first say that the reason I bring this up is due to my desire to - at least eventualy - make discussions about Vs. Battles, and feel I would like to use such a term as Semi-Composite to describe a few situations.

But onto the topic. I feel Semi-Composite should be a term used to describe a character that possesses 'everything' limited to a particular source, instead of all sources that they are featured in - as Composite may imply. For example, a Composite Link from Legend of Zelda would be one that possesses all of the gear/abilities from every single Legend of Zelda title, whereas a Semi-Composite Link from Legend of Zelda would only possess all of the gear/abilities from the the particular Legend of Zelda game that would be listed next to his name.

To put it into example: Let's say I wanted to do a Vs. Battle of Ramza Beoulve from Final Fantasy Tactics and Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII. I want them to be composite, but strictly in what I would personally dub to be their "Mascot Sources" (Or in other words: the main source you associate the character with). Ergo, I would have the battle be described as follows:

Semi-Composite Ramza Beoulve vs. Semi-Composite Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VII)

The reason I would do the parentheses thing for Cloud Strife would be primarily due to Cloud Strife coincidentally appearing in the same series as Ramza Beoulve, and - while people would usually thing I'm meaning Final Fantasy VII - would likely think I mean Cloud Strife in Final Fantasy Tactics, to which everyone would be all "It's a tie, because they've all got pretty much the same exact stuff, though Cloud has an advantage due to Ribbon and Limit Breaks".

As for why I didn't do such for Ramza, it is because the two main games that everyone knows Ramza Beoulve for (Excluding Dissidia Final Fantasy, but if you think he's originally from Dissidia Final Fantasy, then shame on you) are - arguably - one and the same, albeit War of the Lions is more of a patch of sorts that also comes with proper translations and bonus content. Nonetheless, it would - for the most part - not matter which one I meant, as they are literally the same game. Plus, as far as I notice, Ramza never appears in any game that Cloud Strife stars in.

so yah, uh I think Semi-Composite should be a term.

Thoughts?

I don't think it's necessary. One can just state the conditions for the matchup, e.g. adding that feats from a particular source can be used as well, but not others.

It might cause some confusion as well considering many people don't bother reading rules.

Indeed, simply identifying the particular version of the character you would prefer to include in your battle as well as specifying the equipment available is far more convenient than creating an vague terminology that doesn't really tell us anything about the match.

I agree with Gemmysaur and TheMightyRegulator.

Back