• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Shonen Powerups. When are they enough?

ScarletFirefly

VS Battles
Retired
Been meaning to ask this for some time.

We know all to well the powerups MC from shonen animes receive when the situation is dire. The well known "I have something to protect, therefore I won't lose" cliche. The problem is, when the powerups go the point of being laughable and only for the sake of being powerups. Characters from long-running shonen animes go from being wall-level or building-level, to country-level or even higher by the end of the series as to say that "hey look my character has no development emotionally, but how cool does that country-busting technique look?" It's absolutely ridiculous.

Sometimes I feel like shonen animes compete with each-other in this aspect. "Since that guy's character got a powerup, let's powerup mine even more."

What are you thoughs on this?

Back