• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

MrKingOfNegativity

Abstract embodiment of being undesirable
VS Battles
Retired
Two classic video game villains from titles that were infamous in the '90s. Both of them run tournaments where people kill each other.

Speed is equalized and both are 5-B. Battle takes place in ruined Los Angeles.

Winner by death, incapacitation or BFR.

Shao Kah: 0

Calypso: 0

Inconclusive: 3 (Js250476, Gargoyle One, DMUA)

Well looking over both profiles Calypso seems to have the hax advantage and has several ways to incapacitate Shao But Shao does have that soul hax so I guess it depends on who's more likely to strike first

How good is Shao Khan's reality warping, anyways?

It's what he uses to merge the (planet-sized) realms together, so potency-wise, it should be pretty powerful. It's actually one of the main reasons why he's 5-B.

Pretty sure it's not something he's directly used in combat, though.

Calypso has soul manip, though. And multiple other ways to incapacitate, I think. Transmutation, BFR, age manip, causality hax, power-stealing...

I think both characters would lead with hax right off the bat, also, so Js may be right about the "who's more likely to strike first" bit.

Yeah that's most important since ether one could screw the other over if ether Haxs the other first Calypso is likely since screwing people over with his magic is pretty much what he lives for but Kahn loves to soul steal to so it's a bit hard to determine for me

Well I mean, Calypso actually has a precedent of using his hax to stop a fight before it could happen. In the reboot, he BFR'd Preacher into the alternate realm contained in the painting he's got hanging in his office, just because the latter was spouting off about ending his reign of terror and being sent on a quest by God or something. (Fun Fact: the realm in question is heavily implied to be Hell)

Likewise, the only reason Shao doesn't soulhax the protagonists right out of the gate is because their souls are protected by the Elder Gods. (I think...) Under normal conditions, he'd probably try to soul-steal right from the beginning.

I know for a fact that's why they weren't Soul ****** in MK3 cause Raiden protected his chosen warriors from the Soulnado iirc

I think that's what happened, yeah. He probably would have just absorbed their souls with everyone else's if it weren't for that, seeing as how doing so would have made his conquest of Earthrealm much easier.

Doesn't Soul Stealing take a little bit of time to work?

For who? Kahn, or Calypso?

If you mean the former, then...not sure. I believe the act of stealing a single soul is immediate enough that he can use it in a fight (Judging from Shang Tsung, who can also do it), but if you're talking about summoning a Soulnado, then yeah, that probably takes more time.

As far as Calypso goes, his soul manip comes from pulling one of the souls out of Mr. Grimm with a snap of the fingers.

I mean for Khan, of course.

Although, isn't he unable to Soul Hax people on his level like Raiden?

If so, I'll vote Calypso, otherwise inconclusive.

I don't remember whether or not Kahn can soulhax people who're on his level physically, but I'm not sure if Calypso would qualify for that anyway, since the latter is way below him physically and only 5-B via reality warping powers. (Unless someone wants me to start the match with Calypso grown to roughly twice the size of Earth?)

IF he's unable to soulhax people who have similar power in general rather than just similar physical stats, then Calypso might be safe. But I dunno enough about that to say for certain.

From what I remember Raiden does have soul hax resistance as he like I said protected his chosen warriors from Khan's planetary soulnado in MK3 so that might be more cause of Raiden rather then Khan's limitations

Even so, his reality warping power is definitely on the same level as Khan.

Bruh.

Forreal?

How do you forget about the ******* creator of the Twisted Metal contest?!

/disappointed

He had his name and origin literally written in the profile, tho.

You got a vote yet?

Not on the one you sent me.

Anyway, Shao Kahn leads with soul screw, but Calypso simply has so many ways to hkil him it's not even funny, so inconclusive for now.

Eh, not really though. Calypso isn't grown to his planetary size in this match, so his durability is still Street level.

It still seems like soul hax vs all the hax, anyway.

Seems a bit hax stompish regardless thinking things over.

Tho he does lead with Soul Manipulation

Actually...

How fast does Kahn's Soul Manip come out? Handwave-activated?

Js250476 said:
I think the fastest it's happen is in the intro to MK3 IIRC
I don't think there's a timeframe on that one, actually. That happened in the intro of the game, which was basically a slideshow. And the slide before that shows a portal opening above a city, so it might actually have taken more time than his other instances did.

Regardless though, I think this might've been a mismatch on my part. Forgot that Calypso doesn't need to raise his hands or anything in order to activate his powers, which makes this...one-sided, to say the least.

Well, where one Calypso thread falls, another shall take it's place.

Back