• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Sasuke Retrieval Arc

LordTracer

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
The current profiles and keys for the Sasuke Retrieval Arc could be spruced up a little, stat-wise. So I read through the arc, compiled relevant feats, and now I’m here to revise them.

The Sound Four
We’ll start with them, because they should be fairly simple.

CS2 Kidomaru is stated twice to be the strongest person that Neji has ever fought, which would put him above KN0 Naruto during the Chūnin Exams. This would put him at ‘At least Low 7-C+,’ and it scales to CS2 Tayuya and CS2 Sakon, as both are stated by Kabuto and Orochimaru to be superior to Kidomaru. Jirobo doesn’t scale because he is stated to be the weakest member of the Sound Four, and there is stated to be a large gap between his and Kidomaru’s power. Jirobo’s tiers can stay the same, but with some revised justifications.

The Sound Four were also able to defeat a fatigued Genma and Raido (not match, as the profiles incorrectly state) in CS2, so those two should be ‘At least Low 7-C+’ as well. This would be pretty consistent with the statement that two Sound Four members working together would be able to kill Kakashi, while any individual one would struggle or lose. Kakashi may or may not have been at 100% at this point, as he was stated earlier in the arc to still be recovering. As such, Kakashi should be able to upscale from the Sound Four and keep his 7-C rating, albeit now at baseline.

Retrieval Squad
The squad’s rating at this point... are kinda weird, so let’s fix that.

Chōji is mostly fine, but his base justification (“Comparable to Kiba and Neji”) is not. Chōji is directly stated to have more destructive power than Kiba, and I’ll explain why he shouldn’t scale to Neji in just a moment.

Neji needs a bit of an overhaul. The first thing I’ll address is Neji’s own statements of CS2 Kidomaru being stronger than him. These statements were only made while Neji was wounded and nearly out of chakra, and Kidomaru states at the end of the fight that the only person that’s pushed him as hard as Neji was Kimimaro. Neji was also able to draw blood from Kidomaru, deflect his arrow, and harm him with a small amount of chakra. As such, the statements of Kidomaru being superior should only apply to this weakened and low-on-chakra Neji, and not Neji at full power, who should scale to Kimimaro. Neji should therefore upscale to 7-C, since he can still damage CS2 Kidomaru while heavily weakened, and is compared to Kimimaro, who has his own reasons for upscaling.

Now, as for the Chōji and Neji scaling. Neji is stated by Kidomaru to be the strongest of the Retrieval Squad. Chōji is also stated to be the strongest, and these statements are made on more than one occasion, but there’s problems with this. Base Chōji was overpowered by base Jirobo, and as the section above shows, Jirobo is the weakest of the Sound Four. So Chōji’s statements are clearly inaccurate unless we assume that they apply to Butterfly Chōji.

Kiba shouldn’t scale to CS2 Sakon. Well, he actually should, but only with his Two-Headed Wolf technique, as he was able to slice Sakon in two while using it. Base Kiba was outmatched by a casual base Sakon, and should just scale above his Chūnin Exams self. So Kiba would be ‘At least 8-B, Low 7-C via Two-Headed Wolf.’

Shikamaru’s Shadow Possession Jutsu doesn’t scale to CS2 Tayuya, as she was able to break free from it. However, his Shadow-Neck Binding Jutsu (which is stated to be distinctly different), can scale to CS2 Tayuya for restraining her, albeit with difficulty.

Naruto should go back down to Low 7-C+ with Kyuubi chakra, for two reasons. One, he has rarely, if ever used as much of the Kyuubi’s chakra as he did against Haku. Two, Haku is pretty inconsistent and shouldn’t be scaled from at all (a note about this would be added to Naruto’s profile to explain). This would drop KN1 down to 7-C+. Naruto’s Rasengan should also be Low 7-C+, for clashing with Sasuke’s full power Chidori. Speaking of Sasuke, I’ll discuss him next.

Sasuke
Sasuke definitively scales above KN0 Naruto. Before anyone says that Naruto could harm CS1 and base Sasuke, this was while Sasuke was most likely holding back, as he stated after Naruto went KN0 that he would now fight him as an equal. Immediately after saying this, he knocked Naruto out of KN0 with two hits. Plus, even while Sasuke was holding back, he held the advantage for most of the fight. It only became a stalemate with the Rasengan-Chidori clash, which can be chalked up to the Rasengan just being stronger than Naruto’s base stats and Jiraiya stating that it was more powerful than the Chidori. Overall, base Sasuke is ‘At least Low 7-C+, 7-C with CS1, 7-C+ with CS2.”

Rock Lee
No, I’m not gonna advocate for Lee scaling to Kimimaro. In fact, I’m suggesting that a note should be added to explain why he doesn’t scale, which should be worded something like;

During the Sasuke Retrieval Arc, Lee is stated to be weaker than he was in the Chūnin Exams, which Gaara later reiterates even after he’s had surgery. As such, his feats against Kimimaro are considered to be outliers.

Kimimaro
Kimimaro should be baseline 7-C on the basis of being stronger than the Sound Four, and he implied that he could kill Tayuya. She appears to be visibly unsettled by this threat, which should give it some legitimacy. And of course, there’s his feats of one-shotting KN0 Naruto clones. All three of his keys would be 7-C, although CS2 would be 7-C+. He shouldn’t scale to Gaara’s 7-C calc, and even if he did, it wouldn’t change his rating.

The Sand Siblings
Temari keeps her current justifications, with the tiers themselves changing to ‘At least Low 7-C+, 7-C via Kiriki Mai.’ Kankurō’s tier with his puppets should change to Low 7-C+ for badly wounding CS2 Sakon, his physical stats would stay at ‘At least 8-B.’ Gaara’s AP stays the same, but his durability would get an extra rating via the Shield of Shukaku, since he was able to block an attack from CS2 Kimimaro and even break his bones.

Jōnin
I’ll admit, this could be saved for the Part II revisions, but the jōnin need to have the faulty 7-C calc/scaling from Chōji removed from their justifications. This would include Kurenai, Asuma, Might Guy, Anko, and Hanabi. And I won’t particularly push for this, but Kurenai, Anko and Hanabi shouldn’t even have their 8-B ratings and should just be 7-C imo.

Summary
This sandbox contains scans from the Retrieval Arc, and shows what the new profile stats would look like (apart from the jōnin changes).

Neji didn't defeat Kidomaru via physical prowess but by hax to say aka Gentle Fist, he ignored the defense Kidomaru had by attacking the organs and the chakra system directly. Neji is not a strong fighter in Ap but someone who can fight higher tiers thanks to his special taijutsu.

Neji didn't defeat Kidomaru via physical prowess but by hax to say aka Gentle Fist, he ignored the defense Kidomaru had by attacking the organs and the chakra system directly. Neji is not a strong fighter in Ap but someone who can fight higher tiers thanks to his special taijutsu.
Neji stated that he can’t target Kidomaru’s chakra points, and he straight up drew blood from CS2 Kidomaru with a physical strike. His chakra could also deflect Kidomaru’s attacks, as shown in the OP. So yes, he does scale in striking strength.

Check the page prior for context.

0194-007.png

Attacking the tenketsu does draw blood because of the organs being damaged. At the same time, the first scan is from when Kidomaru uses his golden silk threads to cover his body which becomes metal at the contact with air thus blocking the chakra from reaching his body thus tenketsu. While the second is like 3-4 chapters apart where Kidomaru is in the second form where he didn't have the golden silk thread around him.

How would attacking internal organs draw blood from his forehead, exactly?

And again, Nejican deflect Kidomaru’s attacks with his chakra, so...

He doesn't draw blood from the forehead but from the mouth or eyes. As it can be seen in the panels Kidomaru is spinning in the air from the impact of the repeated gentle fist strikes thus the blood is spilled through the air. Even leaves and dust is seen going around.

Okay, Kidomaru doesn’t have the golden skin in CS2.
And again, Nejican deflect Kidomaru’s attacks with his chakra, so...
Although it’s funny how no one has acknowledged this yet.

Or that CS2 Kidomaru felt the need to use his maximum destructive power against Neji, which would be completely unnecessary if Neji was, say, an 8-B that would scale beneath CS1 Kidomaru. And no, it’s not because of the Gentle Fist, because in the next chapter he directly states that the Gentle Fist is useless because Neji isn’t right next to him. And even then, he still thinks he needs to be cautious and go 100%.

Being cautious and going 100% vs someone doesn't mean they need to be at your level in prowess. They could have one or more powers that are lethal (gentle fist), or have a way to counter things or you don't know what they can do (Byakugan, Kidomaru didn't know from the beginning the weakness thus he had to be careful). Kidomaru is a fighter who while is someone who likes the thrill of a hunter vs prey game, he is still someone who uses his mind/tactics to fight. They are shinobi, of course, they need to be cautious when fighting, even someone as strong as Kaguya had fallen to a punch from Sakura. A kid with a knife can kill even the strongest human if he somehow manages to land a strike.

Neji is not someone who excels at physical striking power but someone from the lower-tier who can fight stronger ones thanks to his fighting style.

At the same time, Himawari defeated Naruto with a strike. Himawari should be 5-C I guess.

Or that CS2 Kidomaru felt the need to use his maximum destructive power against Neji
Kidomaru made him bleed with CS1 daggers.

Orochimaru says that Kidomaru likes to be playful.

The justification for
Jirobo doesn’t scale because he is stated to be the weakest member of the Sound Four, and there is stated to be a large gap between his and Kidomaru’s power. Jirobo’s tiers can stay the same, but with some revised justifications.
Is not good at all.
Akamaru says he was "tougher" in Viz and they assessed his strength because his webs could stick a bunch of people together.

This entire arc is focused on Strength ≠ AP.

Like Tempest said, being the weakest of the four doesn't mean Jirobu is the weakest overall, he actually excels at physical prowess. You don't need to stronger than someone in ap to be recognized as stronger, one power, one technique can be all it needs.

Like Tempest said, being the weakest of the four doesn't mean Jirobu is the weakest overall, he actually excels at physical prowess. You don't need to stronger than someone in ap to be recognized as stronger, one power, one technique can be all it needs.
I agree with this and everything Zara said

Being cautious and going 100% vs someone doesn't mean they need to be at your level in prowess. They could have one or more powers that are lethal (gentle fist), or have a way to counter things or you don't know what they can do (Byakugan, Kidomaru didn't know from the beginning the weakness thus he had to be careful). Kidomaru is a fighter who while is someone who likes the thrill of a hunter vs prey game, he is still someone who uses his mind/tactics to fight. They are shinobi, of course, they need to be cautious when fighting, even someone as strong as Kaguya had fallen to a punch from Sakura. A kid with a knife can kill even the strongest human if he somehow manages to land a strike.
Kidomaru literally said the Gentle Fist was useless at that moment and still used his “absolute maximum” against Neji. If Neji was an 8-B, at long range where the Gentle Fist is useless, what exactly is he going to be able to do that would make CS2 Kidomaru, a Low 7-C+, decide that he needs to go all out?
Neji is not someone who excels at physical striking power but someone from the lower-tier who can fight stronger ones thanks to his fighting style.
You say that, yet during the Chūnin Exams, Neji was able to physically bully several Naruto clones simultaneously, so acting like he’s physically fodder would be inaccurate.
At the same time, Himawari defeated Naruto with a strike. Himawari should be 5-C I guess.
I don’t see what a gag feat (that wasn’t even in the manga iirc) has to do with anything, but okay.
Akamaru says he was "tougher" in Viz and they assessed his strength because his webs could stick a bunch of people together.
Please show where that was the reason why they said he was stronger, because otherwise that just seems like headcanon trying to make a simple and blatant statement more complicated than it needs to be.

The literal definition of weak is “Lacking the power to perform physically demanding tasks; lacking physical strength and energy,” so like...

Although even if you said Jirobo scales to the other Sound Four members, that just means he’s Low 7-C+ as well and Butterfly Chōji gets to be 7-C.

Please show where that was the reason why they said he was stronger, because otherwise that just seems like headcanon trying to make a simple and blatant statement more complicated than it needs to be.
Kidomaru feats prior to that statement.
  1. Blocking a physical attack from Shikamaru, who is weaker than Choji.
  2. Sticking Shikamaru to a tree with his webs.
  3. Sticking Naruto's clones to his webs.
  4. Dodging Kiba's attack and sticking him to webs.
  5. Dodging Neji's attack.
  6. Putting Neji in a cocoon.
  7. Destroying all of Naruto's clones who have fodder durability.
  8. Can take a punch from Base Naruto and can keep his footing.
Akamaru is the one that says he's tougher.
I don't see a single AP feat.

Just a heads up, I’m feeling pretty sick today and I’m gonna try to get some rest, so I might not respond for a while.

No, then you would say Tayuya scales higher than Jirobu in physical prowess cause Jirobu was called the weakest? No, maybe her Summons yes but even then I don't think. Each has their strong and weak points but their experience, their personal powers will create a hierarchy of power. Power doesn't mean just physical prowess but also technique, ninjutsu, genjutsu, fighting style, etc.

At the same time, this was debated a few months ago and it was decided that Neji doesn't scale in AP, I think you were the OP at that time too.

All of our current scaling for the Sound 4 simply has them physically upscaling from Jirobu, so maybe that needs changing then.

All of our current scaling for the Sound 4 simply has them physically upscaling from Jirobu, so maybe that needs changing then.
It should then be changed but not sure how they would scale, Tayuya is clearly weaker in AP but then her Ap is higher with the Summons (maybe scale her to Shikamaru while we try to find a feat for her Summons when they were attacking Shikamaru).

Jirobu is good where he is since they scale from him.

Sakon...maybe from Kiba?

Kidomaru I think his arrows can be calculated.

I'm neutral here, but Choji being physically the strongest of the squad probably excludes Naruto's NT forms yes. But he's especially the strongest with his food pills mostly. And Neji was described as "The strongest Genin in the Leaf Village" more so as a form of fighting ability not in terms of raw power iirc.

No, then you would say Tayuya scales higher than Jirobu in physical prowess cause Jirobu was called the weakest?
I’m completely baffled on how you got me saying Tayuya can scale higher from “Although even if you said Jirobo scales to the other Sound Four members, that just means he’s Low 7-C+ as well and Butterfly Chōji gets to be 7-C.” I’m literally saying that you’d be scaling him to the other members, the literal opposite of the OP.

And all four being comparable isn’t too outlandish considering how they were all equally damaged after their fight with Genma and Raido, and Sakon stated that any two of them would be able to take Kakashi out if they fought together.

But no, I’d rather not debate this if it’s just going to devolve into “stronger doesn’t mean stronger,” because you’re basically just cherry-picking when the term stronger means actual strength or when it means something else.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think it is pretty apparent that the other Sound 4 members being stronger than Jirobo doesn't necessarily imply physical strength, but rather power overall.
Jirobo's whole fighting style is focused on physical strength. Even the wiki reaffirms this.

I am also a bit confused on why Kakashi upscaling from the Sound 4 bumps him up to 7-C when the Sound 4 is Low 7-C+. Is the calc value close to baseline 7-C?

Putting that aside, I am unsure if this was ever adressed, but why is KN0 Naruto scaling to Kakashi just because his chakra levels are superior?
As stated in the Naruto manga itself, having superior chakra levels =/= having superior chakra output. It actually varies quite a lot depending on the character in question:
0090-007.png

This is further reinforced by the fact that Kid Naruto had more chakra than Sasuke, but was weaker than him.
Post-Timeskip Naruto also had at least 4 times more chakra than Kakashi, yet was still outmatched by him:
0315-010.png
0315-011.png

So unless there is some other reasoning for KN0 Naruto scaling to Kakashi, the current logic shouldn't apply.

I’m literally downgrading KN0 Naruto beneath Kakashi in this revision, so...
I am also a bit confused on why Kakashi upscaling from the Sound 4 bumps him up to 7-C when the Sound 4 is Low 7-C+. Is the calc value close to baseline 7-C?
You only need to be 1.5x away from baseline of the next tier to upscale. Naruto’s calc is about 1.7x iirc, which is why the Sound Four don’t upscale to 7-C, but Kakashi scales above the Sound Four, so he does.

I’m literally downgrading KN0 Naruto beneath Kakashi in this revision, so...

You only need to be 1.5x away from baseline of the next tier to upscale. Naruto’s calc is about 1.7x iirc, which is why the Sound Four don’t upscale to 7-C, but Kakashi scales above the Sound Four, so he does.
Ah, I missed the part where you mentioned KN0 Naruto, my bad.

Naruto only a sample of Kurama's chakra against Neji, not the Kurama's rage thing.

Here's an idea for the scaling chain between the Sound Four.

It's all the same rankings, they just aren't scaling off of Jirobo.

Jirobo
Attack Potency: At least City Block level (Damaged Post-Chūnin Exams Base Sasuke. Stronger than Choji, who is physically stronger than the rest of the Sasuke Retrieval Squad) | At least City Block level (Stronger than before) | Multi-City Block level (The second stage of the Curse Mark was stated to increase the user's power by ten times)

Kidomaru
Attack Potency: At least City Block level (His threads could hold Naruto) | At least City Block level (Stronger than before, could draw blood from Neji) | Multi-City Block level (The second stage of the Curse Mark was stated to increase the user's power by ten times)

Tayuya
Attack Potency: At least City Block level (Could harm Base Naruto) | At least City Block level (Stronger than before) | Multi-City Block level (The second stage of the Curse Mark was stated to increase the user's power by ten times).

Sakon and Ukon
Attack Potency: At least City Block level (Easily defeated Base Sasuke, could knock back Kiba and harm him on several occasions) | At least City Block level (Stronger than before) | Multi-City Block level (The second stage of the Curse Mark was stated to increase the user's power by ten times)

Rock Lee
No, I’m not gonna advocate for Lee scaling to Kimimaro. In fact, I’m suggesting that a note should be added to explain why he doesn’t scale, which should be worded something like;

During the Sasuke Retrieval Arc, Lee is stated to be weaker than he was in the Chūnin Exams, which Gaara later reiterates even after he’s had surgery. As such, his feats against Kimimaro are considered to be outliers.
Rock Lee would only scale to Kimimaro via Drunken Fist. base Lee doesn’t scale at all since, this base Lee as you said is weaker than the one in the chunin, and it wouldn’t make sense for him to scale to Kimimaro even with the 5th gate. and i have read the fight, and there is nothing that suggest Rock Lee scales to Kimmimaro, Lee caughts Kimimaro by surprise with a kick, briefly fights Kimimaro, and gets drunks, and while drunk he had the upper hand against Kimimaro, forcing him to use CS1, and which is where he begins to sober up, gets bodied, and has to get saved by Gaara, whose scaling i will get to tomorrow. as a sidenote, Drunk Lee in the anime had to be restrained by base Might Guy and Neji, so it’s not inconsistent.

Last edited:
Funny enough, in the anime drunken fist is a legit power boost rather than just being unpredictable like in the manga.

But Manga and Anime are two different things so we can't use one for the other...

Back