• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

SAO Upgrade CRT | Absorbing the Sun or something idk

Because this site's DC scaling is wack

For starters, I don't think anybody suggested this as a durability feat, which makes sense since Kirito presumably isn't storing this energy in his own body. If someone can absorb a specific amount of energy, then they should scale to it in AP (like this dude). I don't see a reason why manipulating an easily calculable amount of energy wouldn't scale one to that energy.
You'd actually have to show they can channel that amount of energy into an attack first tho, physical or supernatural.

... Actually, the dark territory is a good reason why. You just mentioned how it physically can't receive enough sunlight to really sustain itself, and it's not like it's a particularly cold region like Antarctica or the North Pole. Our IRL Sun doesn't really refuse to shine on any given area of our planet to a degree that plants just grow, it's every other factor that usually bars them from life.
It’s less that it doesn’t receive enough sunlight, i belive it’s because in general it is just extremely barren. I’d have to look at Unital Ring or other volumes to know why that is if it’s even mentioned at all but it still receives the same amount of “light” relative to the other places on the planet, the sky is just oddly red.

“Yeah, and that's an association of it providing life sustaining energy, not an overwhelming level of energy in general. It doesn't really work to suggest that the sun would blip back into existence with High 6-A energy like what you initially brought it up over.”

I mean it doesn’t just blip back into existence, like most things that regenerate life it slowly comes back, I believe it’s even mentioned that when light comes back to underworld after Kirito does his thing it’s like a sunset rather than the full daytime sun.

It does in fact not have an omniscient narrator. The most explicit example off the top of my head is how it shows Kirito's perspective and doesn't describe what's happening on Rath when he tries to contact them, you only get the stuff he hears in character before he gets mentally blasted, but it's generally a thing that the third person narration only really gives information based off what the focus character knows.
Realized when I looked closer that this particular bit of text is in first person, I'd have to dig up something more direct. I definitely remember this being talked about before that they don't do omniscient third person narration, might have been in relation to side stories featuring other characters

Edit: Found it

Last edited:
As a heads up, I’m limiting my interaction with the site in general for a bit since there are things I want to do and obligations that are more important. If anyone desperately needs me just dm me on discord if you have it.

I’m sure other people can handle this in my steed but for more specific questions RHAT need answering just give me a holler.

Bump, I’ll probably only be responding to Kaantantr when and if he shows up and DMUA but I don’t see anything new to talk about yet.

Also, just saying, it’d be nice to get rid of direct Reki WoG from fan questions because they were clearly just powerscalers trying to get answers on feats and there’s enough in text context anyways for them.

It’s less that it doesn’t receive enough sunlight, i belive it’s because in general it is just extremely barren. I’d have to look at Unital Ring or other volumes to know why that is if it’s even mentioned at all but it still receives the same amount of “light” relative to the other places on the planet, the sky is just oddly red.
I'll be the first to correct myself here though, I was in fact wrong. Had to look at Underworlder history to remember that Solus' light specifically doesn't shine on the Dark Territory because of Solus driving out Vecta and his forces and being angry at them. Obviously this is a legend and myth made by Underworlders and the church, but it does in fact apply to those lands.

Which honestly... makes this feat and the previous one a bit weird. The fact that Kirito just doesn't have any remarks or commentary about the sun being dimmer than the real world one despite this glaring difference is weird to me. Also makes you wonder how he made those lands habitable in Unital Ring, but I digress.

Maybe I'll actually have to look through more of Unital Ring for this thread, I wouldn't like to but still I don't think this is exactly a knock against it since this feat is performed in the Human Realm, the place where the sun shines.

@Success0906 can you like UR for this stuff? I don't have the novel pdfs on hand.

Another important thing I'd like to add with this quote is that Kirito is directly stating Lunaria is a sphere like earth and that it reacts to the light of Solus in a way like our real moon, with different phases. I don't really think a skybox would have things be THAT advanced, but this is moreso proof the sun moon and underworld are generated normally at this point.
L5zoV6t.png

Edit: For added context, he's teaching Ronie about the planets and whatnot in comparison to Underworld mythos. Going out of his way to refer to it as a planet and teach her such a thing.

Last edited:
Also, just saying, it’d be nice to get rid of direct Reki WoG from fan questions because they were clearly just powerscalers trying to get answers on feats and there’s enough in text context anyways for them.
That's just in violation of our standards on people acquiring WOG, that doesn't automatically make the statements invalid at face value. WOG is invalid if the answers were delivered in an uncaring manner to troll/make someone just go away or contradict the actual material, none of which we see with Reki's statements.

That's just in violation of our standards on people acquiring WOG, that doesn't automatically make the statements invalid at face value. WOG is invalid if the answers were delivered in an uncaring manner to troll/make someone just go away or contradict the actual material, none of which we see with Reki's statements.
Alright then, although in the context of this CRT they don't matter much as the WoG used back then was clearly about the universe shaking feat, not this one. But we alreayd knew that at this point.

I hope Reki one day says that the theory Kirito and Kikuoka made around Buddhist concepts is true and we get Tier 1 SAO /j

I do not have a good feeling about this.
That’s ominous, what’s the feeling about? I doubt this will cause much problems, it’s not like this could lead to SAO becoming 10-C because they’re data or something.

Also, what's your thoughts on the thread Clover, don't want this dying cause of inactivity.

Also, what's your thoughts on the thread Clover, don't want this dying cause of inactivity.
I'm genuinely completely unsure. I've been watching the thread and I feel like I'm at a loss since both sides make some pretty good points.

One thing I did want to bring up, in case it might be relevant, is that (since we're likening this to sunlight reaching Earth) only 0.00000005% of the Sun's solar energy even reaches Earth to begin with

I'm genuinely completely unsure. I've been watching the thread and I feel like I'm at a loss since both sides make some pretty good points.

One thing I did want to bring up, in case it might be relevant, is that (since we're likening this to sunlight reaching Earth) only 0.00000005% of the Sun's solar energy even reaches Earth to begin with
This is mainly about the luminosity of the sun, since the quote is just that he absorbs all of it and it’s compared to the moon completely covering the sun.

I don’t doubt that he could just absorb the entirety of the sun’s energy at where the current SAO novels stand but this isnt the time to talk about that.

Regardless, I will ask, is there anything preventing you from swaying one way, any information that could be provided to tip the scale I guess?

This is mainly about the luminosity of the sun, since the quote is just that he absorbs all of it and it’s compared to the moon completely covering the sun.

I don’t doubt that he could just absorb the entirety of the sun’s energy at where the current SAO novels stand but this isnt the time to talk about that.

Regardless, I will ask, is there anything preventing you from swaying one way, any information that could be provided to tip the scale I guess?
Ironically enough, the first part of your response is one such reason. That's basically just an eclipse, so that doesn't really support much of anything. Really, what prevents me from swaying one way or another is the fact that it seems equally valid to interpret this as either the light coming to the planet or the Sun's entire luminosity

Ironically enough, the first part of your response is one such reason. That's basically just an eclipse, so that doesn't really support much of anything. Really, what prevents me from swaying one way or another is the fact that it seems equally valid to interpret this as either the light coming to the planet or the Sun's entire luminosity
Hmmmm, how much light even reaches earth, and how could this be calc’d?

Hmmmm, how much light even reaches earth, and how could this be calc’d?
Like I said, it’s about 0.00000005% of the Sun’s solar energy. I just multiplied the Sun’s luminosity by this percentage and it gave me about 45 megatons

To explain once again though and give a bit of added context, Kirito’s sword is known as the “Night-Sky Sword” and is a Divine Object. In Underworld Divine Object’s turned into weapons have something called a “Perfect Weapon Control Art” which utilizes that objects memories to create a similar phenomena/ability.
An example is Bercouli’s “Time Splitting Sword” made from an in-universe clock, it taps into those memories allowing Bercouli to slice into the past and present when he activates it.
It is also important to quickly note that Underworld as a simulation runs on the memories from everyone’s soul/fluctlight, allowing people with immense willpower to change reality and the world as we know it through “Incarnation”

Back on topic though, the Night-Sky Sword’s Memory is that of the Gigas Cedar, a tree that Kirito cut down alongside Eugeo which at that point had absorbed the most Spatial Resources in Underworld via Solus’ light giving it immense life and being called the “Demon Tree” because it couldn’t be chopped down and was always sapping out the resources from Rulid Village. Because of this memory it can absorb Spatial Resources, and in this scene Sacred Power (pretty much just Solus’ light) with immense proficiency, unparalleled to anything else in Underworld.
This all culminates in this scene, where Kirito used the sword to absorb the ENTIRE light of Solus, because that is it’s memory. Rather than just create an eclipse he is actually just absorbing the sun’s light/energy, completely blotting it out to the point everything became dark, the sun did not return the entire time he was using this only returning once he had finished using the ability and presumably said energy, meaning the return of Solus' light and his use of the ability are directly tied to each other.

Edit: Here is the scan that directly states Solus' light had begun returning the moment Kirito dispelled or used up the LIght Elements created by Solus' Light.
4COcVGD.png

Last edited:
Like I said, it’s about 0.00000005% of the Sun’s solar energy. I just multiplied the Sun’s luminosity by this percentage and it gave me about 45 megatons
That's even less generous than using the metric I was prior, where it was just inverse square law using the distance between earth and the sun and the size of the affected area. I got 87 Megatons from the same deal

Wild how that works out (though it does occur you should provide a source for this, it could be nice to have around)

Nearly half of it is absorbed while passing through the atmosphere and the rest reaches the earth's surface
I really take for granted how consistent science is with itself when you know all the details, relative to the unadulterated madhouse of winging it that is applying bigganumbers to fictional characters

Also @CurrySenpai I did read through your response, thanks for providing it. I honestly am kinda stumped, because I could see how this could work either way. For instance, the sky "regaining its sunset color" could be just the light coming to the planet or all the Sun's luminosity, and the same goes for the Gigas Cedar

SAO is tier 0 because Kirito real life hoomun hahahahahahaha

Also @CurrySenpai I did read through your response, thanks for providing it. I honestly am kinda stumped, because I could see how this could work either way. For instance, the sky "regaining its sunset color" could be just the light coming to the planet or all the Sun's luminosity, and the same goes for the Gigas Cedar
Well I brought it up as an example because the text under it says that it returned to its sunset color after the light elements had been used, giving a direct connection to the light elements being Solus light, and also returning to Solus once the duration of the ability was used, allowing it to shine again. This mainly supports it being Solus' entire luminosity because if it was just the light coming to the planet, Kirito would have had to be continuously absorbing light in order to make things dark, and that clearly isn't the case since he uses these limited light elements to kill the minons and heal Ronye and Tiese, while also just clearly not continuously absorbing Solus' light since he has to swing it down towards the minions, and it's not mentioned that he was still doing so, in fact the scene paints it as if he had already absorbed all its light at that point.

ALSO, if it was genuinely just the light coming to the planet Solus would have eventually just started shining again during this scene, instead the scene paints that only until he used up all the light elements did the sun return, implying Solus' luminosity was just gone until he had used up the resources.

Last edited:
If it was all of the sun's luminosity, that'd take over 8 minutes to restore rather than the very moment Kirito stops fighting. That's how long it takes light to cross that distance.

If it was all of the sun's luminosity, that'd take over 8 minutes to restore rather than the very moment Kirito stops fighting. That's how long it takes light to cross that distance.
I don’t see why this would be the case. It’s more reasonable to assume the light returned that fast because Kirito used the Light Elements that were from Solus up. These two things directly correlate with one another in this scene.

Anyways, I am going to bed but I think that’s all really.

Considering the vagueness of the feat but yet have something valid to stand on (and considering the verses I know of are along the line too), i think that atleast possibly/likely can be given in worst case scenario.

Considering the vagueness of the feat but yet have something valid to stand on (and considering the verses I know of are along the line too), i think that atleast possibly/likely can be given in worst case scenario.
I would much rather have a solid rating but i am not one to be stubborn and disagree with compromises. If some staff wanna vote for a possibly/likely then sure, but I at least wanna hear what Clover has to say after my last message.

Back