• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Sans' Time Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodri_"Dante"

Hablo español.
Joke Battles
Administrator
The previous thread that tackled this topic ended inconclusive and also I can't find it, hopefully this is the last time this is brought up.

Explanation
In Undertale, Sans teleportation is portrayed in two different ways:
*Sans simply showing up somewhere he wasn't before (Examples here and here. Also works on objects)
*The screen goes dark, with a light switch-like sound effect, then it goes back to normal and Sans is somewhere else (Examples here and here)
*There's technically a third one, I don't know what to make out of it.

There's not explicit explanation of why the game goes out of his way to do this, but there's a scene where we seemingly see Sans' second form of teletransportation from his perspective. Everyting but the space around Sans is darkened, the sound cue is heard, and all NPC's are frozen (Look at Grillby's... hair? Fire? Fire hair?).
This would imply that Sans' teleportation is actually two different abilities: Teleportation and Time Stop, which would match Papyrus claiming that Sans pranks people across time and space.

Limitations
Whether by choice or because it is an actual weakness, Sans is unable to attack directly during time stop, he can just set up attacks that will start moving once time resumes. This should be noted in the weakness section.

honestly yeah i do think time stop works, at least as likely

for the third one, pretty sure sans is repeatedely teleporting you to the same place and not himself basically

ngl i kinda support it. I remember watching theories about it and i always agreed. I think a possible or likely time stop is fine.

This looks fine, although I do find weird how Sans basically pulls a King Crimson instead of just killing when stopping time
I guess it's a weakness, and I bet this will give Sans even more win conditions on characters thag are like, 20 tiers above him : )

Agree, but also why not add it to Flowery then?

I remember making a thread years back where I called this time stop rather than teleportation due to that one scene when you eat at Grillby's with Sans, so I agree with this.

why would flower get it?
I mean, in the pacifist one he stopped everything with the same effect, so even Sans couldn't do anything.

But I guess it will get only in Omega form since he got all 6 souls

Is good to see all the agreement.
However, I don't want people reading the page after this to look at the arguments for Time stop at a surface level and immediatly try to remove it (I've seen people look only at the Grillby's cutscene and disagree with it because "it's probably just for dramatic effect").
Should there be a slightly long justification in the Powers and Abilities section, a note, or a link to this thread?

Last edited:
If this goes through then his reactions should be downgraded, at most just saying higher reactions

wait does his time stop have a certain amount of time?
The cutscene in Grillby's is pretty long when compared with other time stops with limited time.

Not that it matters, since either way we would go with what Sans has managed to accomplish within time stop.

The proposal of Sans being able to stop time uses the style over substance fallacy, and it's unlikely for Sans to canonically be able to stop time. The dramatic spotlight caused the other characters to pause, but that was likely to have only been for visual effect as a literary technique to show that Sans was speaking about something important. The sound being the same as Sans' teleportation sound doesn't mean much, since this is certainly not the only time different actions share the same sound, and the sound isn't uniquely specific to Sans using abilities. The idea of Sans having the weakness of not being able to attack while time is stopped is an unreliable interference, since it stems from the idea of Sans having time stop in the first place which hasn't been confirmed via a statement or explicit demonstration. Papyrus saying that Sans pranks people across time and space has to do with range or the scope of his pranks, not him having the ability to even affect space-time in any way. It's not like Papyrus would have deep insight about Sans' scientific endeavors in the first place, so I don't think his statement is reliable enough to be so important.

"This fallacy occurs when someone prefers one entity over another due to the way it is presented, as opposed to any actual facts."

Yeah no, wrong fallacy buddy. this has nothing to do with any other characters besides sans.
I didn't use the wrong fallacy; the VS Battles Wiki's description isn't the only sense of the term, because not everything is about character debates. Either way, due to the involvement of the Time Stop page, the legitimacy of the idea of Sans having that ability is inherently being compared to certain standards and thus how it works for other characters. Additionally, what is called an "entity" in the VS Battles Wiki's description of the fallacy isn't necessarily a character.

My point is that this thread's proposal overstates what is merely the way a conversation was visually presented. I explained further already, so I don't need to again here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back