• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Crocodile has a much stronger bite. It also has claws it can use. The shark has the advantage of being able to drag the crocodile underwater to try drowning it. With the false palette it's not easy to drown a crocodile though, and the shark isn't smart or dexterous enough to use the false palette against the crocodile. Plus the palette is behind a huge set of jaws with the strongest bite on earth.

The crocodile doesn't know that if it turns the shark upside down that's already a death blow, and it's too stupid to figure it out, but if it death rolls it that will already turn the shark over.

It also has claws it can use.
They claws are useless, these aren't sharp.
Crocodile has a much stronger bite
They aren't agile in water, are slow & the shark is 200 kg bigger. (1000 Kg vs 1200 kg)
The shark has the advantage of being able to drag the crocodile underwater to try drowning it. With the false palette it's not easy to drown a crocodile though, and the shark isn't smart or dexterous enough to use the false palette against the crocodile.
The shark doesn't need to drown the croc, the shark can just kill the crocodrile with one bite due to their sharp teeth, hell, they can even one-shot dolphins, the croc armor isn't saving it from that, smart or not.
Plus the palette is behind a huge set of jaws with the strongest bite on earth.
With pretty low movement & less bite gap, a bite from the croc is not instantly killing the Shark, since it outweighs the reptile like hippos do.
The crocodile doesn't know that if it turns the shark upside down that's already a death blow, and it's too stupid to figure it out, but if it death rolls it that will already turn the shark over.
What stops the shark from killing it with one bite? Idu.

How is it not fair (clarify for future reference)?
I don't see any Saltwater Crocodrile advantage, the whole argument is "strong bite", when the GWS as every advantange: faster in water, sharp bite & bigger size..

btw, I think that even GWS has bite force as advantage.. but, the crocodrile is a bit bigger than the Tiger Shark, which still has speed advantage in water & sharp bite, so I think that is much more close matchup than the Salti vs White Sharki.
great_white_tiger_shark_by_donaldmoore909_dcxi0jk-fullview.jpg

The croc don't have sharp teeth, so is fairer as I say..

I mean, we also gotta take into account that the crocodile has armored plates and the great white shark is likely lower in intelligence than crocodiles (but then again, fish were just never known for being intelligent, or at least nobody bothered to study that aspect). While a hippo can split a nile crocodile with its jaws, a hippo's teeth are designed for crushing. A great white's teeth are designed more for cutting/slicing, which I'm certain is different from a hippo's crushing teeth.

Also, weight isn't the end-all be-all here. If it was, a dung beetle would never have been able to move a kilogram like they legit do. A nile crocodile's bite has a strong enough grip to surprise an elephant despite the crocs being generally avoidant of them, and niles had dealt with young elephants before, which I'm pretty certain are more dense than any shark would be. I'm pretty certain a saltwater crocodile would be able to move a great white more easily than it would a hippo of the same weight.

I mean, we also gotta take into account that the crocodile has armored plates and the great white shark is likely lower in intelligence than crocodiles (but then again, fish were just never known for being intelligent, or at least nobody bothered to study that aspect). While a hippo can split a nile crocodile with its jaws, a hippo's teeth are designed for crushing. A great white's teeth are designed more for cutting/slicing, which I'm certain is different from a hippo's crushing teeth.

Also, weight isn't the end-all be-all here. If it was, a dung beetle would never have been able to move a kilogram like they legit do. A nile crocodile's bite has a strong enough grip to surprise an elephant despite the crocs being generally avoidant of them, and niles had dealt with young elephants before, which I'm pretty certain are more dense than any shark would be. I'm pretty certain a saltwater crocodile would be able to move a great white more easily than it would a hippo of the same weight.
  • I mean, we also gotta take into account that the crocodile has armored plates and the great white shark is likely lower in intelligence than crocodiles
Armored Plates are not steel to say that, Sharks can do this to dolphins.
  • While a hippo can split a nile crocodile with its jaws, a hippo's teeth are designed for crushing. A great white's teeth are designed more for cutting/slicing, which I'm certain is different from a hippo's crushing teeth.
And? I mean, what stops the GWS from halving the croc with more bite force + sharp teeth? 💀
  • Also, weight isn't the end-all be-all here. If it was, a dung beetle would never have been able to move a kilogram like they legit do.
Elaborate.
  • A nile crocodile's bite has a strong enough grip to surprise an elephant despite the crocs being generally avoidant of them, and niles had dealt with young elephants before, which I'm pretty certain are more dense than any shark would be.
A cat scratch can surprise me too— I don't understand this sentence.
  • I'm pretty certain a saltwater crocodile would be able to move a great white more easily than it would a hippo of the same weight.
Nah, hippos are not very good swimmers.
Anyways, the GWS is much bigger than the Salti & can do many bites to their throat until is death (one is enough IMO), so I don't see any way where the Croc kills the GWS.

Armored Plates are not steel to say that, Sharks can do this to dolphins.

And dolphins aren't armored unlike crocodiles; huge difference there.

Elaborate.

If weight is an end-all be-all in literally anything in the real world, we wouldn't have ants lifting 50x their own weight, dung beetles moving 10 to over 1000x their own weight (meaning a 3.5-oz beetle would be able to lift at least 1 kilogram), and particularly strong men deadlifting in the 400 kilos and pulling trucks with their bodies.

A cat scratch can surprise me too— I don't understand this sentence.

Okay, I should've elaborated more. What I should've said after the part where crocodiles have surprised elephants before was, well... The Nile Crocodile's profile literally specified them having eaten young elephants.

Nah, hippos are not very good swimmers.
Anyways, the GWS is much bigger than the Salti & can do many bites to their throat until is death (one is enough IMO), so I don't see any way where the Croc kills the GWS.

That doesn't have anything to do with what I said! I was literally saying a Great White Shark being LESS DENSE than a Hippo of the same weight means a Salty can move a 1000-kg SHARK, which has a lightweight cartilaginous skeleton, more easily than a 1000-kg HIPPO, which is so dense it runs instead of swims when in water. Its about how the weight is distributed, see? Even with a size advantage, a hardly-dense cartilaginous fish like the Great White is less likely to escape a crocodile bite than the croc is to escape a shark bite.

And dolphins aren't armored unlike crocodiles; huge difference there.
And? How an armored-plate will stop a 18k newtons sharp bite from the Shark? 💀
If weight is an end-all be-all in literally anything in the real world, we wouldn't have ants lifting 50x their own weight, dung beetles moving 10 to over 1000x their own weight (meaning a 3.5-oz beetle would be able to lift at least 1 kilogram), and particularly strong men deadlifting in the 400 kilos and pulling trucks with their bodies.
ya really use insects as example?..

• Size always matters depending on mass, muscular mass & density, insects are not a good example. Crocs don't have any advantage here, and are outweighed by the Shark, prove that the Croc can support the weight of the Shark as insects in these case.
Okay, I should've elaborated more. What I should've said after the part where crocodiles have surprised elephants before was, well... The Nile Crocodile's profile literally specified them having eaten young elephants.
Lions can eat young elephants, these are not impressive really.
That doesn't have anything to do with what I said! I was literally saying a Great White Shark being LESS DENSE than a Hippo of the same weight means a Salty can move a 1000-kg SHARK, which has a lightweight cartilaginous skeleton, more easily than a 1000-kg HIPPO, which is so dense it runs instead of swims when in water. Its about how the weight is distributed, see? Even with a size advantage, a hardly-dense cartilaginous fish like the Great White is less likely to escape a crocodile bite than the croc is to escape a shark bite.
How the GWS is less dense than the Hippo though?; Anyways, Crocodriles preys on Sharks much smaller than themselves, so the fish argument doesn't work here. Bone density isn't enough argument, since I don't see any way where the Crocodrile is gonna bite through the Shark, due to their speed in water. Ignoring it, 440 lbs difference in weight is too much, prove me a study where a Shark bone is at least 60% times weaker than the Crocodrile in these case.

"How the GWS is less dense than the Hippo though?"

I literally said how.

1. Cartilage is shown in two studies with a density of 1100 kg/m³ whereas bone's density is 1800-2100 kg/m³ from five studies: https://itis.swiss/virtual-population/tissue-properties/database/density/
2. Sharks swim. Hippos are so bulky that they basically "run" underwater.

And since you asked how cartilage is weaker than bone...

Bone's got 51.6 MPa of shear strength (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11800235/ ) and a tensile strength of 135 MPa (https://phys.libretexts.org/Bookshe...ity_of_the_Body/7.01:_Strength_of_Human_Bones ) whereas for cartilage, the figures cap out at 25 MPa for the shear modulus (https://www.intechopen.com/chapters/48287 ) and 15-25 MPa for tensile stress (http://web.mit.edu/cortiz/www/3.052/3.052CourseReader/27_BiomechanicsofCartilage.pdf ). That makes cartilage anywhere from 51.6% to 81.5% weaker than bone, averaging at not 60%, but 66.55% weaker than bone. Sure, this is comparing human bone to human cartilage, but the difference between the strength of cartilage and bone in a creature with solid bones like that of a human is so stark it's almost a no-brainer that cartilage is weaker than mammalian bone. No idea how solid reptile bones are compared to mammal (let alone human) bones, however (and Google isn't giving me any links to the mechanical properties of shark cartilage, so it's likely nobody tried that yet). I'll have to get a diagram for that.

1 Cartilage is shown in two studies with a density of 1100 kg/m³ whereas bone's density is 1800-2100 kg/m³ from five sstudie
Cool, I still don't see how this favours the weight difference between these two, just because the other is a fish and the other no.
2. Sharks swim. Hippos are so bulky that they basically "run" underwater.
Sure, and? I mean, crocs can swim in water but not as good as the Shark.
No idea how solid reptile bones are compared to mammal (let alone human) bones, however (and Google isn't giving me any links to the mechanical properties of shark cartilage, so it's likely nobody tried that yet). I'll have to get a diagram for that.
Well this is interesing, but still don't see how the Crocodrile is gonna kill the Shark based on this.

The Crocodrile bones are more dense, but much smaller than the own weight of the Shark, so the argument is circular. The size difference is clear, but less if we are taking about the maximum size of both, but crocodriles are much slower in water compared with the Shark, so as I say the Shark would bite the Crocodrile many times before it grabs the Shark.

I looked up the weights of each animal on citations supported statements on Wikipedia. A weight equalized or croc having a 10% wieght advantage here is actually possible. Though since the Shark’s teeth is sharper, should I switch it to where the croc has the weight advantage here?

I looked up the weights of each animal on citations supported statements on Wikipedia. A weight equalized or croc having a 10% wieght advantage here is actually possible. Though since the Shark’s teeth is sharper, should I switch it to where the croc has the weight advantage here?
Why not Saltwater Crocodrile vs Tiger Shark at average weight? Much more fairer

Why not Saltwater Crocodrile vs Tiger Shark at average weight? Much more fairer
I can equalize all I want but I think this may be a bit of a mismatch now that I think of it, we don't know how heavy a nile crocodile would be to match the Shark’s bite. I don't see a conceivable way to make a specifically fair match without this thread being yeeted into fun & games.

Why do you say it's more fairer?

I can equalize all I want but I think this may be a bit of a mismatch now that I think of it, we don't know how heavy a nile crocodile would be to match the Shark’s bite. I don't see a conceivable way to make a specifically fair match without this thread being yeeted into fun & games.

Why do you say it's more fairer?
Salty weighs 589 Kg and the Tiger Shark 510 Kg at average, while GWS averages almost 900 Kg.

Back