• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Rule Violations Thread Filler

I wouldn't be surprised if that was actually somehow quite effective.

@SD Just one issue I have right now. If someone's reply argues about multiple different things, how do you make it clear with a kudos what exactly you're agreeing with them on?

I'm a bit more in agreement with Assalt here. While thread derailment shouldn't be encouraged, I don't see the problem with allowing a little bit of lightheartedness into the discussion every now and then.

I strongly maintain that the rule violation thread should be kept matter of fact for serious reports. I cannot restart it every 3 days, and the important parts cannot constantly be drowned out with nonsense and trivial bickering.

I agree with SD and Ant. The RVTs are getting filled up faster than ever. It should be just kept for serious reports.

@Andy That would fall under normal discussion. The point I'm trying to make is just to remove unnecessary stuff, not discussion like that.

@Antvasima

Given how often we receive new reports, the admins may easily check a new report and old ones (if they haven't been resolved yet). This is a "one report ― one post" format, it could change some things to the better way:

1. The members will see that staff members don't post their opinions in those threads anymore ― only admins talk with a reporter by editing his/her post and not by posting new ones. They will try to avoid flooding as well (not everyone, but still a lot).
  2. The discussions will be more compact, and thus easier to resolve. No more lots of flood between related messages anymore, because the entire discussions will be in single messages.
  3. Only reporters themselves will be allowed to discuss their own reports with the staff. If we add a rule to not intervene to the discussions, people with their opinions regarding a report (who aren't administrators) will go to his/her message wall instead of flooding.
  4. After all, lifespan of those threads will greatly increase (one report ― one post, and no more).
@SD

That's not that hard, we just have to get used to that.

I still do not think that it is practically applicable due to my above-mentioned reasons. Sorry.

Create a separate thread focused on general discussions about the Rule Violations thread, link it in the OP for those who want to derail by talking about the recent reports. Simple, effective on the long term, and won't require multiple wiki updates "every three days" or anything.

I would still need to constantly restart it, but I suppose that I wouldn't need to link to it in the front page or wiki navigation bar at least.

Still, there is a big chance that it would invite considerably greater amount of extremely chaotic multiple concurrent nonsense discussions than currently, and as such not lead to anything positive.

At the end of the day I think that the best solution is if the staff simply get stricter with actively discouraging and quickly deleting derailment, petty feuding, and similar nonsense.

You alone don't need to restart it, Ant. If we don't need to link it to more places than just the original RVT then it can easily be done by any discussion mod or admin.

Well, as I mentioned, I am also worried that it will breed hostility and chaos, especially if I avoid monitoring it.

If it ends badly, we can just close it and not look back. While I don't really understand the purpose (A sort of general shitpost thread would work better I'm) if people want it, I then as long as it doesn't go sour it's okay.

The very nature of a thread in which people are supposed to argue in an agitated manner about reporting others for being rude, without ever being cut off, and with several other arguments running at the same time, basically guarantees that it will turn very sour rather quickly.

Honestly, if people start going too far in a Rule Discussion Thread, staff can delete the negative replies and warn people not to stop. And if they don't, well, they'll be violating a rule in itself.

Back